Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dime Mods: Are These Folks Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Especially the empty thoughts. Sometimes, I think certain people just like to read their own posts.

I've never been a fan of the concept of peer-to-peer sharing. It just makes me nervous about what I might contract from another computer. (Perhaps, that's based in ignorance, but still...) I've found that there are plenty of non-torrent resources for lossless recordings out there and can usually find what I'm looking for.
    I'm confident Dime is safe. I know folks who've been using it for many years.

I've never had any computer security problems associated with Dime. I assume such problems are more of an issue with places like Pirate Bay, etc.?

Dime isn't riddled with advertising (at least not that I recall - it's been a while).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Well, my Torrent was uploaded so problem solved. Old one was deleted.

The last couple of emails have even been just fine. Maybe the one that pissed me off was just an exception. Or maybe the guy realized he was a bit "over the top."
    I bet I know who the mod that pissed you off was. Does his handle start with an "N" and end with a "D"?
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I bet I know who the mod that pissed you off was. Does his handle start with an "N" and end with a "D"?
    Well spotted.

But again, things went very smoothly after we got around a hurdle or two, and I realize I screwed up in the first place.

I just don't understand the basis for treating people who are trying to feed your database like that. I'm sure it's a very frustrating gig and I'm sure there are endless problems and boneheaded mistakes, but it's a bit like telling somebody who is giving you a ride that they aren't driving the way you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I have a few shows I'm sitting on because it's just too much of a pain. Partly it's a pain just getting all the files ready which is just due to lack of time and inclination on my part. But I have no patience for jumping through all the hoops required by places like Dime. I did upload a couple of things to Archive dot Org which was bad enough. I found the mods there (at least the ones I dealt with) were extremely nice and helpful.

But I don't think my shows are particularly well recorded or anything. It's probably no great loss to the music world.
    It's really not complicated. All you need is Trader's Little Helper (free program).

Convert files to FLAC
    Make Checksum file
    Add "info" sheet from Notepad with details, songs, etc.
    Then Create Torrent with TLH using the folder with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    i stopped reading at "uploading a boot"
    Me too!

It find it interesting because I uploaded a bootl.... a live recording of an artist that was okay with the free sharing of their recordings... one time at the the request of someone at dime (it was a reseed). I ran into some difficulties, so I emailed the mods and we exchanged a number of friendly emails over the course of the next hour and they very politely walked me through all the steps to ensure that I was able to get the torrent properly uploaded

It's really not complicated. All you need is Trader's Little Helper (free program).

Convert files to FLAC
    Make Checksum file
    Add "info" sheet from Notepad with details, songs, etc.
    Then Create Torrent with TLH using the folder with all of the above.
    If it's so easy why did you screw it up?

J/K! Thanks for the tip. I have TLH, but only ever used it to FLAC-ify and de-FLAC-ify stuff. I'll look into that when I have some free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    If it's so easy why did you screw it up?

J/K! Thanks for the tip. I have TLH, but only ever used it to FLAC-ify and de-FLAC-ify stuff. I'll look into that when I have some free time.
    Well, the making a Torrent wasn't much of an issue, I just got messed up when it said to download their Torrent and replace yours. When I did that I went to delete my old Torrent and ... duh ... that deleted my files.

Besides, I screw things up that I wouldn't describe as "complicated" all the time.

Btw, I since uploaded another boot without any trouble at all. I think I've got the hang of it.

For those curious, I uploaded a Rainbow show and an now an Amon Duul II show. Both from silver CD bootlegs.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 02-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    It find it interesting because I uploaded a bootl.... a live recording of an artist that was okay with the free sharing of their recordings... one time at the the request of someone at dime (it was a reseed). I ran into some difficulties, so I emailed the mods and we exchanged a number of friendly emails over the course of the next hour and they very politely walked me through all the steps to ensure that I was able to get the torrent properly uploaded
    Nice. Maybe that's the way it usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    The mods are just as bad at RYM. They get their knickers in a twist over the simplest things. I had submitted something to them that had "from" in the title. I was taught in school that from should not be capitalized. I was told in no uncertain terms that RYM rules were to be followed and that from must be capitalized! I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Bill
    Out of curiosity, I went over to check out their site. They're just enforcing a house style, the same as a publication does. It's actually fairly common to require prepositions of four or more letters to be capitalized. (The client I edit for has a headline style that's nearly identical to what RYM requires.) I can see how it might be a frustrating thing to deal with, though.

For those curious, I uploaded a Rainbow show
    oh, I am curious about that one

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    oh, I am curious about that one
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=440079

I guess that all places have their foibles, Jeff! Dime is a bit scary for newbies - but, allegedly, some folks have found PE3 hard to come to terms with!

I've got nothing but admiration for the people who take the time to work with these recordings, & to share them. It's fascinating, following those musicians who are comfortable with recordings being shared, & those who aren't (for example, Van Morrison, Greg Lake, in recent times)...

Anyway, I had a similar experience with the mods at Dime, but on a different issue - material had been posted which I thought might have been under licence - as with your experience, one of the Mods was curt to the point of rudeness; but one of the others who joined in the conversation couldn't have been friendlier, or more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    These are all ROIOs, no commercial releases, nothing posted the artist doesn't want posted. If they are not on Dime, they won't see the light of day.
    Dime probably has the biggest variety of bootlegs, but I also use the sites the links below go to. As for legal issues, one thing the moderators are very strict about is if you upload a show that contains songs that are included on official releases, those specific songs Must Be Excluded from your upload and noted as such. Other than concert recordings, there are torrents of unreleased songs/jams, alternative versions of songs, demos, outtakes, pre-show soundchecks, interviews. There's ton of Jimi in all those categories. and there's a lot of bootlegs available that are much better SQ than you would expect. As long as you refrain from selling copies of what you download or collect by trading, it's all fine. I've been approached by people wanting to buy copies of what I have, and I've said absolutely not each time. If it's only one show, I'll just make a copy and send it. if it's more than one, I'll just ask them to refund me for the cost of postage or send me as many blank discs as they received with music on them.

http://www.thetradersden.org
    http://www.guitars101.com/ and
    http://archive.org/browse.php?collec...data%2Fcreator

The thing I hate about Guitars 101 is they store everything on Rapidshare or some piece of crap like that. Navigating those sites is a pain and often a source of malware.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Yep, if it's on Rapidshare, every time I go there it says file no longer available. If something is at FileFactory, I get to dl it.

I think the one and only time I Had a problem was when I recorded an interview by a musician, and uploaded to the site. They actually rejected the first version of the torrent, because I numbered the tracks "1", "2", "3", etc, instead of "01", "02", "03", etc. So I had to go back, retitle all of the tracks (I think there was about a dozen or so) and redo the whole torrent. But after that, I had no problems.

Generally, I don't have any problems, especially not when I re-up something that's fallen off the tracker.

i say if its that tough then eff em .

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i say if its that tough then eff em .
    effing slacker

I'd like to learn how to create torrents. I'd have trouble with the lineage cause I have no idea where some of my stuff came from. I either got it from a trader or dld it myself. I've upgraded a lot of things. i.e., mainly increasing the input levels.