Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of PE Memories! Share them!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Some of the best comedy from some of the funniest fuckers I've ever met. Miss those days!

For the record, it was me & Klonkers that had Billy Sherwood heading for the door. And also for the record...he started it!

Any One of a Number of Wise-Asses: "..will this be televised?"
    TooTall128: "Let me check my sources."

Vinnie's yearly birthday thread to (then mild nemesis) Calabasas where everyone chimed in to say how honorable it was for Vinnie start said thread while ignoring the birthday wish all together.

DC/WillianKatt/MetMan/etc's (among a handful of others [JohhnyQuest/ToddGack/etc to name one] inability to slide back in under the radar after returning post-ban as a new identity. I always laughed my ass off when they were pretty much called out immediately by the community.

WALLACE!

Good times. I mostly lurk nowadays, but I still enjoy it here. Thanks for the memories.
    Some funny shit there for sure! One of my all-time favorite threads was one where Lino posted his radio show and then we all started posting like it was a call-in show. Lino returns to see 3 or 4 pages on his thread only to discover it was all just a bunch of juvenile jokes!

The time I laughed hardest on PE: Paulie, Klonk and I jump into chat on a Friday night as 3 wrestlers and basically just take the room over! I almost busted my keyboard that night!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

WALLACE!
    I'm a Johnny-come-lately around here, but isn't this the guy who now has his own forum with over 200,000,000 active prog posters and NO MODERATION???

Sounds like a hell on Earth.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

my favorite memory was us finally agreeing on the definitive yes lineup (it was the one with eddie jobson in it)

My nicest memory of this place and the people in it, was when I posted my video mini documentary on Triumvirat, and got some lovely and very endearing responses. That warmed my heart, thank you so much!
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The time I laughed hardest on PE: Paulie, Klonk and I jump into chat on a Friday night as 3 wrestlers and basically just take the room over! I almost busted my keyboard that night!
    I for real busted my spacebar. YOOOOOUUUURRRR'E FIIIIIRRED!

I know I'm in the minority, but Wallace always had me busting a gut.
    Last edited by Paulie; 12-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    what is prog.
    The conglomerate has the answer
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I have to admit that people produce some outstanding sarcastic humour here. And recommendations are a gift. The knowledge members share I take seriously.....

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Martin Orford was another one who was here for a while...
    Ahh yes, cranky 'ol Martin Orford who was ranting about "pirates", shortly after his supposed sacking from IQ.

I've been at PE since the Yahoo days. Don't post as much as I once did, but I do check in daily. I remember a lot of what everyone else has mentioned: Yuppets, Sherwood, jegheist, monkeyman, no jon no yes and, of course, Happy Birthday Lino!. My favorite though is posts about the supposedly great Russian prog band that everyone heard but never actually existed. I can't remember the name of this "group" but those were hilarious.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Dushanbe??

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    On the topic of the sick fuck club there was a discussion on drugs and Klonk recounted driving down a road along s mountain backwards on acid
    I cried laughing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    For those who don't want to click through to the Empire of Satan - prog is Queen, Tool, Radiohead, Styx and...Neutral Milk Hotel?

But mainly Queen.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    For those who don't want to click through to the Empire of Satan - prog is Queen, Tool, Radiohead, Styx and...Neutral Milk Hotel?

But mainly Queen.
    Neutral Milk Hotel definitely.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Dushanbe??
    The Roofers 'Asphalt Blend' !!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Roofers 'Asphalt Blend' !!!
    Oh man! Forgot about that one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Remember one time that one guy wrote that outrageous post? That was awesome.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some of the best comedy from some of the funniest fuckers I've ever met. Miss those days!

For the record, it was me & Klonkers that had Billy Sherwood heading for the door. And also for the record...he threw the first punch!

Any One of a Number of Wise-Asses: "..will this be televised?"
    TooTall128: "Let me check my sources."

Vinnie's yearly birthday thread to (then mild nemesis) Calabasas where everyone chimed in to say how honorable it was for Vinnie start said thread while ignoring the birthday wish all together.

DC/WillianKatt/MetMan/etc's (among a handful of others [JohhnyQuest/ToddGack/etc to name one] inability to slide back in under the radar after returning post-ban as a new identity. I always laughed my ass off when they were pretty much called out immediately by the community.

WALLACE!

Good times. I mostly lurk nowadays, but I still enjoy it here. Thanks for the memories.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINO!
    Who was it who started their own Birthday thread, pissing some people off?

one of the first characters I remember back in 2002 who was omnipresent and carried that old RMP nastiness into PE was Suppersready. Dunno what happened to him but he caused a lot of fights... as did Omega Monkey
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Remember one time that one guy wrote that outrageous post? That was awesome.
    Lmao. Like when ProgoNaut really dissed PsychoMan3 and everyone was giggling. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ...all the music polls.
    Reason #2 for joining...

Kinda wish we'd resucitate them (at least the years and band discograph (songs poll were less appealling for me)

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    My profile says I joined in 2013, but I'm positive it was before that, as I remember the debates about what went wrong with Nearfest 2011 (and even the discussions before it was cancelled).

For me, the funny story is that I avoided ProgressiveEars for many years (probably heard about it around 2001 or so) because people told me it was "brutal" and that people were constantly attacking each other. Okay, so that last part may have been true Anyway, after spending a few years on ProgArchives forums (!) I finally signed up here and was surprised at how tame it was compared to ProgArchives (and some old Yahoo groups I'd been on since the late 90's). It's weird because I think I was even friends with Sean on Facebook before I ever came over here. I remember seeing most of the group pictures at Nearfest being shot when I was there, but for some reason just was afraid to check out the site (I'm a loner, maybe that's it ).
    Mmmhhhhh!!!!... This has been mentionned a few times before, and I must say that it does take a certainly thicker skin to survive in PE than in PA.

Before joining PA and PE (almost at the same time in Jan 04), I used to come sparsely on the net (often to read on GEPR), but I had M@X writing me e-mails asking mle for advice on PA's content... For some reasons, he wanted to know what I thought... I helped out from the darkness and only started posting around the end of the year there, and a little longer here.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I also encountered you, Mr. Trane, long before coming here, over on ProgArchives. I loved your reviews as I found them quite funny at times and insightful at other times. I defended you in the Flower Kings thread one time, even though I'm a long time fan of that band and you were, um, not Anyway, lots of great people here, some of whom I "met" online previously.
    Thx for the kind words... I kinda stopped writing reviews when my laptop was stolen in my car (no back-up), but I sometimes re-read myself and I cringe at the approxilate English I wrote (often without a net)

Oh, I knew about them shooting at me, and I made a quick appearance in there (page 35 or something) , than told them to f... off (and menaced to write more stinking TFK reviews if they continued).
    You know, the toad's spit cannot tarnish the brightness of my star.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Big Bang, if you will. The birth of the SFC and the PE underground....
    Too busy with PA (I frequently spent four or five hours a day there) at the time to start with those never-ending private threads.
    With hindsight , I kind of regret not taking part of it, but I can't imagine how many more extra hours a day that could've taken me

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What ever happened to Luis Nasser (I forgot who called him Nasshole)?
    Hey, I liked both Nasshole and Nestor... Too bad neither jumped the shark onto 3.0 (though I can imagine they're lurking).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Without question that day in March of 2009 when I was discussing back and forth with one of my heroes of contemporary "progressive" music, Steve Gore of the Rascal Reporters - in which he played with his closest bud, Steve Kretzmer. From what I understood (I may be wrong), they were Bar Mitzvah/highschool friends of unseparable girth. Anyway, we were debating the role of free improvisation etc. in the context of out beloved "genre", him being one who largely created -extremely- through-composed tunes with an almost unprecedented level of melodic structure - yet in frameworks of such density that one'd might even escape the more or less direct references to Bacharach, Carpenters, Brian Wilson etc. were it not for the "diplomatic" character of the duo's basic approach, featuring farce, humour, elegance and the sheer gusto of pure sentimentality.

Gore never really took to free improv. It was from the booklet of RR's The Foul-Tempered Clavier that I got the Fred Frith-quote in my bottom sig. Frith was one of several old mavericks whom they'd lure into contributing to their mildly eccentric vision of song and tune, along with Dave Newhouse (Muffins). Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve), Guy Segers (UZero/Present) and others.

I got the RR's Happy Accidents back in 1997. My then-wife and I played it to our kid while he was still in her swollen stomach, and he obviously adored it. Who wouldn't? My wife would drive us around in our old Golf Joker, harass me for never finishing in my driver's license and pointing out that if I hadn't at least brought some great sound to the table of the damn car, she'd leave me on the pavement. Our son loved Lars Hollmer's Ramlösa Kvällar as well. And Simon Steensland's Zombie Hunter, Beefheart's Decals and Crac! by Area. He turned out alright, of course.

Steve Gore broke off the discussion on improvisation because he had to attend to some housework, promising to return to the same thread the next day. About 20 hours later, Steve Kretzmer reported on how Gore had apparently gone down a set of moist stairs, fallen and hit his head.

And it wasn't an injury or a spectacle. The man was gone.

It's by far the single most tragic incident I ever "witnessed" online, and one I can never really get by. This man was a mind of difficult, but outright brilliance - and yeah, he possessed that exact same of dread-beyond-dark-dry existentialist humour which has kept me alive through decades of immense challenge in the face of folks and the world. I can only imagine how sincerely devastating the whole event must have been for those who actually knew and loved the guy, not least his wife and Steve K..

I still cherish his voice, songs and preposterous outlook on life, and I wish there was an afterlife so that I could meet up with the man and have him do "Woman to Woman" realtime. But alas I've already been dead and know that there isn't an afterlife, here's a couple for you punters:

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-21-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Is there any way to find out when you 'actually' joined up - I show Nov 2012 but I think that was when we had the 'new look' board. I know I had been on for a few years before that.
    back when the switch to PE3 was made, PE2 was still accessible and the join date was in the profile info there
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm amazed at how much I recall. I joined early in V2, if I recall. Supp was off-putting, initially, but I grew to just find humor in his schtick.

Y'all helped drain my savings account, for sure. I'm better for it!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hey, I liked both Nasshole and Nestor... Too bad neither jumped the shark onto 3.0 (though I can imagine they're lurking).
    Is Nestor not Facelift? I thought they were one and the same for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Without question that day in March of 2009 when I was discussing back and forth with one of my heroes of contemporary "progressive" music, Steve Gore of the Rascal Reporters - in which he played with his closest bud, Steve Kretzmer. From what I understood (I may be wrong), they were Bar Mitzvah/highschool friends of unseparable girth. Anyway, we were debating the role of free improvisation etc. in the context of out beloved "genre", him being one who largely created -extremely- through-composed tunes with an almost unprecedented level of melodic structure - yet in frameworks of such density that one'd might even escape the more or less direct references to Bacharach, Carpenters, Brian Wilson etc. were it not for the "diplomatic" character of the duo's basic approach, featuring farce, humour, elegance and the sheer gusto of pure sentimentality.

Gore never really took to free improv. It was from the booklet of RR's The Foul-Tempered Clavier that I got the Fred Frith-quote in my bottom sig. Frith was one of several old mavericks whom they'd lure into contributing to their mildly eccentric vision of song and tune, along with Dave Newhouse (Muffins). Didkovsky (Doctor Nerve), Guy Segers (UZero/Present) and others.

I got the RR's Happy Accidents back in 1997. My then-wife and I played it to our kid while he was still in her swollen stomach, and he obviously adored it. Who wouldn't? My wife would drive us around in our old Golf Joker, harass me for never finishing in my driver's license and pointing out that if I hadn't at least brought some great sound to the table of the damn car, she'd leave me on the pavement. Our son loved Lars Hollmer's Ramlösa Kvällar as well. And Simon Steensland's Zombie Hunter, Beefheart's Decals and Crac! by Area. He turned out alright, of course.

Steve Gore broke off the discussion on improvisation because he had to attend to some housework, promising to return to the same thread the next day. About 20 hours later, Steve Kretzmer reported on how Gore had apparently gone down a set of moist stairs, fallen and hit his head.

And it wasn't an injury or a spectacle. The man was gone.

It's by far the single most tragic incident I ever "witnessed" online, and one I can never really get by. This man was a mind of difficult, but outright brilliance - and yeah, he possessed that exact same of dread-beyond-dark-dry existentialist humour which has kept me alive through decades of immense challenge in the face of folks and the world. I can only imagine how sincerely devastating the whole event must have been for those who actually knew and loved the guy, not least his wife and Steve K..

I still cherish his voice, songs and preposterous outlook on life, and I wish there was an afterlife so that I could meet up with the man and have him do "Woman to Woman" realtime. But alas I've already been dead and know that there isn't an afterlife, here's a couple for you punters:
    Wow, man... I never knew the details. How tragically unfair.