Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Brislin joins KANSAS!

Tom Brislin joins KANSAS!

This is exciting. Renaissance, Yes, Camel, Sea Within...what a fine resume!

Press release:

KANSAS is excited to announce keyboardist Tom Brislin as the newest member of the band. Brislin is replacing departing keyboardist David Manion.

An internationally acclaimed musician, Brislin has performed and toured with a variety of artists, including Yes (appearing on Symphonic Live), Meat Loaf, Debbie Harry of Blondie, Camel, Renaissance, Dennis DeYoung formerly of Styx, and many others. For years he fronted the band Spiraling and produced his debut solo album Hurry Up and Smell the Roses.

Most recently, Tom co-founded the progressive rock group The Sea Within. Along with guitarist Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings, bassist Jonas Reingold of the Steve Hackett band, and drum star Marco Minnemann, they released their first album in 2018 on Sony/Inside Out Music, joining KANSAS on the label’s roster. Tom has also formed Gold Rotation, a collective of diverse musicians and songwriters who premiered with a performance at Progstock Festival in 2018.

KANSAS original member and drummer, Phil Ehart comments, “We are extremely excited for Tom Brislin to be the newest member of KANSAS. His background speaks for itself, and we are looking forward to working with him. We cannot wait to get started, and think KANSAS fans will really enjoy what Tom brings to the band.”

Brislin adds, “It’s an honor to be asked to join a such legendary band as KANSAS. Their music has been in the soundtrack to so many of our lives, and their repertoire has enduring depth, beauty, and power. I’m thrilled to perform the classics and I’m equally excited to be a part of the new music that KANSAS creates.”

Brislin’s first performances with KANSAS will be aboard the Rock Legends Cruise in February, followed by March 1 in Baltimore, MD at the Modell Lyric where the band will be resuming the Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour. A list of announced 2019 KANSAS Tour Dates can be found at KansasBand.com.

Wow, that's great. Brislin's work has always been fantastic and he's no slouch in the songwriting department either, which makes this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Brislin adds, “...and I’m equally excited to be a part of the new music that KANSAS creates.”
    ... VERY promising.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone know why Dave Manion is leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone know why Dave Manion is leaving?
    The nondescript statement that Kansas put out there yesterday:

KANSAS would like to wish keyboardist David Manion continued success as he departs the band to pursue other musical endeavors

Nice to see Tom land another high profile, steady gig. I'm sure he will bring his usual touch of class and great taste to the group.

Congrats, Tom!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Great news, I hoping for another Kansas album as good as the last!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Great news, I hoping for another Kansas album as good as the last!
    I'm hoping for one BETTER than the last. It was okay, not a bad start, but didn't have near the depth or quality of the classic Kansas. I think they can do better, if they wish.

I know that's a rather unpopular opinion around here, but it's how I felt about the last album. It was decent, but was it up to the standards we would hold Kansas to?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I think it got closer to the standards than anything they did in the 80s. Could it have been better? Sure, but it was good. Tom's writing could elevate things though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think it got closer to the standards than anything they did in the 80s. Could it have been better? Sure, but it was good. Tom's writing could elevate things though.
    Yes, it could. I'm hoping for that. Kerry is apparently hard to replace...

Very cool news, and Tom is a class act so I'm really excited to hear what they do together.

I thought The Prelude Implicit was much closer to the Kansas of old than any of their stuff in the 80s, probably up there with Somewhere to Elsewhere for me. It could have been better, I agree, but it was solid and I enjoyed most of it quite a bit.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Good for Tom! He's a class act for sure.
    Chad

"Kerry is apparently hard to replace..."

That certainly fucked with Steve Walsh's head, finally he just gave up writing. Had he been in a band sans Kerry he probably could have continued never having him as a measuring stick.

I suspect Tom will be free of such baggage.

-S

Excellent news. Tom seems like a great fit, and as others have said, should only help the band with his writing. It's very nice to hear that they plan on doing more recording.

A great story to end the year with.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This^

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very cool news, and Tom is a class act so I'm really excited to hear what they do together.

I thought The Prelude Implicit was much closer to the Kansas of old than any of their stuff in the 80s, probably up there with Somewhere to Elsewhere for me. It could have been better, I agree, but it was solid and I enjoyed most of it quite a bit.
    and this ^
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

With regards to Kerry's writing, to me, much of the Kansas sound both lyrically and musically were the result of Kerry's writing.
    Steve's strengths were in his voice and performing.

I've enjoyed any time Tom has played with another band such as Yes and Camel, really enjoyed him on the Opening Farewell for Camel.
    Congrats Tom, well deserved!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Somewhere to Elsewhere was decent, not quite a return to form, but good. To me, Freaks of Nature was a bit more interesting, with a few new twists. I didn't think Prelude.. quite came up to that level, although it was a decent try. But the symphonic nature of Kansas with Kerry writing was missed. Maybe it will always be, since Kerry isn't there; maybe I shouldn't look for it. But the combination of Steve's performance/rock'n'roll nature and Kerry's symphonic writing is what I loved most about the band.

Tom Brislin might well be the wild card; maybe if he and Ragsdale push sideways a bit, the result might be proggy again, and take us on a unique journey the way Kansas of old did. We'll see what they come up with; I'll be looking forward to the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Somewhere to Elsewhere was decent, not quite a return to form, but good. To me, Freaks of Nature was a bit more interesting, with a few new twists. I didn't think Prelude.. quite came up to that level, although it was a decent try. But the symphonic nature of Kansas with Kerry writing was missed. Maybe it will always be, since Kerry isn't there; maybe I shouldn't look for it. But the combination of Steve's performance/rock'n'roll nature and Kerry's symphonic writing is what I loved most about the band.

Tom Brislin might well be the wild card; maybe if he and Ragsdale push sideways a bit, the result might be proggy again, and take us on a unique journey the way Kansas of old did. We'll see what they come up with; I'll be looking forward to the result.
    Oh, I forgot about Freaks of Nature. I never really gave that one much time, so maybe I need to revisit.

I agree about missing the symphonic aspect of Kerry's writing. That was one of the things I felt Proto-Kaw had going for it that the modern Kansas did not (well, obviously ).

Brislin could very well introduce some different aspects, and while it probably won't sound like Livgren's writing, it might make for another interesting sound unique to this lineup. I hope so!

I felt that the symph prog was present on the last album. That epic in particular was Livgren- lite and much appreciated.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only time I've seen/heard Brislin was on the Camel 2009 "Farewell Tour," and he did a great job. It was clear he knew all the Camel keyboard sounds and how to reproduce them, which seemed to be what was needed on that tour. Some of you saw that at NEARfest - I saw it at The Bottom Line.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The only time I've seen/heard Brislin was on the Camel 2009 "Farewell Tour," and he did a great job. It was clear he knew all the Camel keyboard sounds and how to reproduce them, which seemed to be what was needed on that tour. Some of you saw that at NEARfest - I saw it at The Bottom Line.
    Ah man, I wish I could have seen that!

In 2012 I was fortunate enough to go see him in Nashville, TN, on a solo piano performance where he played most of his new album Hurry Up and Smell the Roses. It was a really fun show, and he hung around afterward and chatted with the folks there. He talked some about his time with Yes, and how much of a gearhead Geoff Downes is. He seems to be a really down to earth, easygoing type.

I brought along my copy of Time Travel Made Easy by Spiraling, and he autographed it. Made my day.

I felt that the symph prog was present on the last album. That epic in particular was Livgren- lite and much appreciated.
    I appreciated that too.

Overall, I got a little bit of a Spock's Beard vibe from that CD -- which I mean as a compliment.

As I posted on my Facebook page, I got to know Tom a bit when his band Spiraling played ProgDay in 2006. He seemed to be a very nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. I have enjoyed every project that he has been involved with and I can't think of a more perfect fit for one of my all time favorite bands. I will also be interested to see what he brings to the table in regards to new material. I really enjoyed the last album, but Tom's writing ability could definitely move things in some interesting directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Kerry is apparently impossible to replace...
    Corrected that for ya.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Congrats Tom. Have a great time.
    We'll see you in March as our post Thanksgiving show was canceled in Baltimore due to illness.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"