Thread: RIP Galt McDermot

RIP Galt McDermot

Only really familiar with his Haïr musical, but what a solid piece that was

My dad had been given this LP (I still own it) and it was my second introduction to rock music after Stand Up (still own it as well)

Thanks to McDernot, Ragni and Rado

lesser know stuff

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wow, even I ignored my own thread
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

More great stuff, RIP

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Was a big Hair fan. Why my mom brought the ten year old Rick to see the show eludes me but thanks mom!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Was a big Hair fan. Why my mom brought the ten year old Rick to see the show eludes me but thanks mom!
    Maybe to make Rick Awaken as a Man??

Two answers in a row after some 9 days without a comment...

I have to say, being the perverse weirdo that I am, I’m rather more interested in his post-Hair flop musicals like Dude and Via Galactica. Especially the latter. The description of Raul Julia trying to sing while wearing a spacesuit, bouncing around on a trampoline in front of a backdrop made of thousands of day-glow golf balls would intrigue anyone.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have to say, being the perverse weirdo that I am, I’m rather more interested in his post-Hair flop musicals like Dude and Via Galactica. Especially the latter. The description of Raul Julia trying to sing while wearing a spacesuit, bouncing around on a trampoline in front of a backdrop made of thousands of day-glow golf balls would intrigue anyone.
    TBH, I really don't care about those musicas as such: it's not cultural icons I'm after... There is only two that I like: Hair and JCS (despite being an atheist), but I guess it's because they have a link to rock first & foremost... and also having been (very well) translated to film as well. Probably because Jerome Ragni and James Rado (both younger long-haired dudes) brought the necessary psychedelic elements to provide the madness that other McD musicals didn't seem to have - not that I heard many.
    I'd be interested to hear Dude, since that trio with Ragbi/Rado is again reunited, though.

Cotton Comes To Harlem (I listened to it to its end) bears the typical McDermot quirks & warts, but didn't resonate with me as much as Hair... I'd have to check out the movie (I love them Blaxploitation flicks of the early 70's), to get it all in.
    Last edited by Trane; 12-28-2018 at 05:08 AM.

I listened to Dude once (it is on streaming sites). Some good songs in a similar style to Hair.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    My parents took my older brother to see both Hair and Via Galactica on Broadway, but I was deemed too young (and probably was), and I was pretty pissed in both cases.