Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog topping the charts post 2000?

Prog topping the charts post 2000?

Hi all,

This question came up somewhere else and I thought maybe I would see if anyone here had information or suggestions for bands not mentioned. The person asking about this originally specified the US and the UK (and asked if anyone had topped the charts since Tool ) but I would love to hear about other countries and markets.

If bands like Radiohead, Muse and Iron Maiden are included (for the purposes of this topic, I think 'prog adjacent' bands are worth mentioning), there are recent number ones from them in the US/UK. Rush's 2012 album went to #1 in Canada and #2 in the US. David Gilmour's Rattle that Lock hit #1 in the UK, Sweden, New Zealand and Norway in 2015 and Floyd as well obviously with the Endless River went to #1 in many countries in 2014.

Japan and Germany are both bigger markets than the UK and are worth a look:

In Germany, there was Deep Purple in 2017 at #1 (lots of prog elements on Infinite) and Opeth's Sorceress in 2016 (very proggy). Nightwish have had 2 #1s in Germany and Steven Wilson got to #2 in 2017.

In Japan, there was Ling Tosite Sigure with a #1 in 2010 (#3 in 2013 and #5 in 2018).

Riverside had their second #1 album in Poland just a couple of months ago.

Roger Waters had #1 in Norway and Switzerland in 2017.

In Finland, in addition to Roger Waters topping the charts, you will also find bands like Steven Wilson (2017), Von Hertzen Brothers (2010) or Nightwish (6 times #1) or Opeth (twice) or Dream Theater (twice) have had recent number ones.
    Ayreon had a #1 in the Netherlands in 2017.

Mike Oldfield's Return to Ommadawn hit #4 in the UK and topped the charts in Spain and made it to #3 in Germany

So, who else is missing? I suppose the Decemberists could figure in there too to some extent and Big Wreck in Canada (3 straight top 5s) or perhaps Phish (4 top 20 albums post 2000) and prog-metal Galneryus from Japan (the latest album hit #13 in 2017 in Japan) but I was also hoping to hear about more self-avowedly prog bands around the world as well.

Thanks in advance!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Marillion hit #7 the UK and #8 in the Netherlands in 2004 with their "You're Gone" single, and #6 in the Netherlands in 2007 with their "Thank You Whoever You Are" single. There've been other things that charted, but not top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion hit #7 the UK and #8 in the Netherlands in 2004 with their "You're Gone" single, and #6 in the Netherlands in 2007 with their "Thank You Whoever You Are" single. There've been other things that charted, but not top 10.
    Thanks, they deserve a mention too. Does anyone else come to mind?

The Mars Volta had three top-10 titles between 2005-08 in the US.

Jaga Jazzist went top-10 here in Norway with The Stix in 2003 and One-Armed Bandit in 2010.

Dungen had two top-10s in their native Sweden (Tio Bitar and 4, IIRC, which also charted in the UK, and apparently in Germany and Greece although their vox are in Swedish!).

Mogwai have charted consistantly this last decade, especially in the UK and Benelux. Sigur Rós have charted in their native Iceland, in the UK, in Scandinavia, Spain etc. French duo Air charted quite significantly between 2001-07. The Dillinger Escape Plan went Top-30 with their latest two releases, I believe, and Meshuggah have actually gone US Top-10 with four albums between 2005-16.

There's probably some more as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The Mars Volta had three top-10 titles between 2005-08 in the US.

Jaga Jazzist went top-10 here in Norway with The Stix in 2003 and One-Armed Bandit in 2010.

Dungen had two top-10s in their native Sweden (Tio Bitar and 4, IIRC, which also charted in the UK, and apparently in Germany and Greece although their vox are in Swedish!).

Mogwai have charted consistantly this last decade, especially in the UK and Benelux. Sigur Rós have charted in their native Iceland, in the UK, in Scandinavia, Spain etc. French duo Air charted quite significantly between 2001-07. The Dillinger Escape Plan went Top-30 with their latest two releases, I believe, and Meshuggah have actually gone US Top-10 with four albums between 2005-16.

There's probably some more as well.

Thanks, good call on those and if you happen to recall any others, please post some more! Meshuggah actually have 2 top 20 albums from the main Billboard charts but that's still pretty fabulous all things considered.

Battles - Mirrored from 2007 went to no. 26 on the Billboard list. Tyondai Braxton and members from Helmet and Don Caballero notwithstanding, that chart position is quite an achievement for a debut release by an all-instrumental "out" band.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ayreon had 6 Top 10 entries in the Dutch Charts and 4 Top 20 in Germany

The Gathering had their first two Albums in the Dutch Top 20

Battles - Mirrored from 2007 went to no. 26 on the Billboard list. Tyondai Braxton and members from Helmet and Don Caballero notwithstanding, that chart position is quite an achievement for a debut release by an all-instrumental "out" band.
    Do Battles know that they are Prog? We have to inform them!

But if Deep Purple 2017 era is considered proggy, sure, anything. Why not Flaming Lips - Embryonic (no8 in the US), Grizzly Bear-Veckatimest (no8 as well) and many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Do Battles know that they are Prog?
    No, but their wives and galfriends have all finally agreed on being sympho-nympho after a whole lot of racketing in the kitchen. R&R-wives always stick to the kitchen.

Grizzly Bear-Veckatimest (no8 as well) and many, many more.
    Yes, but very few 'New Weird America'-releases were as overtly "progressive rock"-influenced as this one, which is arguably why it's my fave GB release. A couple of the usual duds on it, but some of those tracks are absolutely marvellously written and arranged. And yeah, it sold in spades in both the US and Europe. So did the Merriweather by Animal Collective, of course - and stuff like Gulag Arkestar by Beirut. Borderline prog, perhaps? A fresh invention for the neologists over at Progarchives.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Roger Waters had #1 in Norway and Switzerland in 2017.
    Gilmour topped a few chats the previous year with rattle That Lock, didn't he??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Gilmour topped a few chats the previous year with rattle That Lock, didn't he??
    Yes, Gilmour did and I mentioned him in there too.

By way of explanation, initially the question was who had topped the charts (i.e gone to #1) and only for the US and the UK and I thought it might be interesting to expand the list of countries and be a bit less restrictive in general.

I thought Big Big Train- Grimspound hit the top ten in the UK, and I think they had a single that hit #1

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I thought Big Big Train- Grimspound hit the top ten in the UK
    It reached no. 45, which in our day and age only takes a couple of thousand sold copies to achieve. Although with some rapidity.

It's nice enough, though. I mean, it's not as if I have disdain for the sympho or anything. Just to have that in the clear. Without the slightest fear.

Didn't Ske top the charts in Qatar?

^ I believe it sold two copies within the realm of no less than five months, which was sufficient to whopp itup to no. 8 on the hot'n'burnin' hipster-hitlerhitsterlist in the downtown area of ol' Doha.

Didn't Ske top the charts in Qatar?
    On the off chance you were serious, which album and chart did you have in mind?

On the off chance you were serious
    Not.

He was playing one of my usually dry-as-dearth jokes as a way of snooping my wet nose.

Not.

He was playing one of my usually dry-as-dearth jokes as a way of snooping my wet nose.
    Ha! You never know these days where (as you already noted) selling a few albums can sometimes get you on a smaller chart.

Back to albums...on the jazz and fusion side of possible interest to posters here while none of these topped the charts per se: Keith Jarrett's last album made it to his career high of #18 in Germany this October. Pat Metheny's peak was #24 in 2002 and Jan Garbarek's was #22 in 2009. Wayne Shorter's career high was #64 earlier this year and Al di Meola's most recent album went to #80 (all of these rankings were on the German charts).

Pat Metheny also has 5 top 10 albums in Poland including a #1 album in 2005 (The Way Up) and another #1 with Anna Maria Jopek in 2002. Speaking of Now and the Way Up both went top 10 in Italy as well.

Esperanza Spalding made it to #10 in the US in 2012.

--------------------------------------
    Another group I might add to the rock examples would be Dir en Grey with all their albums being top 10 albums in Japan (I am not sure how they are viewed here but figured they were relevant to the discussion).

Also Gojira made it to #14 in 2016 in Germany with their latest and top 5 in Switzerland and Finland as well as #24 in the UK and US.

I didn't mention Mastodon (not sure what people think of them around here) but they have 3 straight US top 10 albums and reached #1 in Finland among other high charting results for them around the world.
    Last edited by tribalfusion; 12-17-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Not.

They are juicy man.
    Vitriol juicy

Do Battles know that they are Prog? We have to inform them!

But if Deep Purple 2017 era is considered proggy, sure, anything. Why not Flaming Lips - Embryonic (no8 in the US), Grizzly Bear-Veckatimest (no8 as well) and many, many more.

I think Flaming Lips are a worthwhile suggestion too and deserve to at least be mentioned here (and they also explicitly cite bands like Yes, Van der Graaf and Mahavishnu). Grizzly Bear is another somewhat borderline band worth a mention in this context too I suppose. You mentioned knowing many more; which groups did you have in mind?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't mention Mastodon (not sure what people think of them around here) but they have 3 straight US top 10 albums and reached #1 in Finland among other high charting results for them around the world.
    IMO Mastadon is sometimes as prog as Rush (which I consider prog). Their song "Curl of the Burl" is a favorite for me.

So I checked up on Battles and that chart listing you have for them is on the Indie list, not for the main charts where they did not chart. Their highest charting album in the US was Gloss Drop at #98 and #46 in the UK.

I also checked into the Dungen albums and their highest charting album in Sweden was Skit i allt at #16.

I am trying to stay away from genre specific charts like rock, hard rock or jazz etc as opposed to the main album chart. In fact there was even a progressive rock chart for a time in the UK and it is the only one of which I am aware but I would love to hear about others if they exist(ed).
    Last edited by tribalfusion; 12-17-2018 at 06:44 PM.

The Zinconical Choir of Tangential Zorania made the charts in Madagascar.

All three of Rush's 2000's albums went Top 10 in the US.

So I checked up on Battles and that chart listing you have for them is on the Indie list, not for the main charts where they did not chart. Their highest charting album in the US was Gloss Drop at #98 and #46 in the UK.

I also checked into the Dungen albums and their highest charting album in Sweden was Skit i allt at #16.
    Arrrgh! Goddammit. And here am I thinking Battles might be as established (i.e. non-independent) as Stevie Wislon.

As for Dungen, they/he (Gustav Ejstes) was always somewhat "controversial" in his homeland. Here's the shock, though; by the time Änglagĺrd returned with Viljans Öga in 2012, their rep was apparently firm enough to catapult them to no. 6 on the Swedish charts. Of course, at that point most people had already stopped buying "albums".