Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog topping the charts post 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Didn't Ske top the charts in Qatar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I believe it sold two copies within the realm of no less than five months, which was sufficient to whopp itup to no. 8 on the hot'n'burnin' hipster-hitlerhitsterlist in the downtown area of ol' Doha.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Arrrgh! Goddammit. And here am I thinking Battles might be as established (i.e. non-independent) as Stevie Wislon.

As for Dungen, they/he (Gustav Ejstes) was always somewhat "controversial" in his homeland. Here's the shock, though; by the time Änglagård returned with Viljans Öga in 2012, their rep was apparently firm enough to catapult them to no. 6 on the Swedish charts. Of course, at that point most people had already stopped buying "albums".
    I'm glad you mentioned both of them either way. I'd been meaning to listen to them more thoroughly and this gave me more reason to.

I enjoyed the Battles and Dungen albums so that was a plus and they are still both surprisingly popular considering what they do

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    You mentioned knowing many more; which groups did you have in mind?
    No one in particular, despite my saying, because I am not very familiar with charts etc. But in this wider scope - which is perhaps too wide to really draw any conclusions - any indie name that has charts success and some weird musical orientation could well fit in. Joanna Newsom? Sufjan Stevens? I don't know. But I don't think they could be used as an argument in a discussion that features Tool - that do have these distinct "proggy" elements.

Not really prog, but fairly sure both Steven Wilson and The Pineapple Thief had brief but healthy showings in UK charts on more than one occasion. Maybe Anathema also?

Think the pineapple thief have also been doing well in German charts

Speaking of Finnish charts and a "wider scope", Pepe & Saimaa by the established pop singer Pepe Wilberg and the band Saimaa led by Matti Mikola went numeber one in 2014. Of course, it's just 70s style orchestral pop with a shedload of analog synthesizer breaks, extended instrumentals and lengthy tracks, so no prog there, no sir.

On the other hand, Saimaa's Matka mielen ytimeen was mostly covers of Finnish pop tunes turned into jazzrock or Krautrock-style instrumentals of up to 16-minute length. That made 20 on the chart. And last year's Urheilu-Suomi, a soundtrack to a documentary series about Finnish sports history, made 8, again with mostly lenghty instrumental music fusing a 70s style big rock band with game music-like synthesizer music.

^ Hell, I believe even one of the Alamaailman Vasarat releases charted in Finland - possibly the one they did with Tuomari Nurmio. Which of course was more of a Nurmio-creation to begin with.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Hell, I believe even one of the Alamaailman Vasarat releases charted in Finland - possibly the one they did with Tuomari Nurmio. Which of course was more of a Nurmio-creation to begin with.
    Indeed. It hit to the top ten and stayed nine weeks in top-40: https://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/viralli...rin+kalifaatti
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Speaking of Finnish charts and a "wider scope", Pepe & Saimaa by the established pop singer Pepe Wilberg and the band Saimaa led by Matti Mikola went numeber one in 2014. Of course, it's just 70s style orchestral pop with a shedload of analog synthesizer breaks, extended instrumentals and lengthy tracks, so no prog there, no sir.

On the other hand, Saimaa's Matka mielen ytimeen was mostly covers of Finnish pop tunes turned into jazzrock or Krautrock-style instrumentals of up to 16-minute length. That made 20 on the chart. And last year's Urheilu-Suomi, a soundtrack to a documentary series about Finnish sports history, made 8, again with mostly lenghty instrumental music fusing a 70s style big rock band with game music-like synthesizer music.

Thanks for pointing this out; I just happened to come across Pyhimys & Saimaa: Olisinpa Täällä which is an odd album as well to be #1 (as it is currently in Finland).

Any other suggestions?

Yes Heaven & Earth hit #20 in the UK and #26 in the US.
    Prog's Not Dead

Dark Side Of The Moon. Has been back in the charts several times since the year 2000 (it hit number 1 in 2003). Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Dark Side Of The Moon. Has been back in the charts several times since the year 2000 (it hit number 1 in 2003). Does that count?

Sure why not? Also Banco del Mutuo Soccorso have reached #19 on the Italian album charts which is pretty amazing.

Dream Theater's latest actually topped the charts in Germany and Switzerland.

Last edited by tribalfusion; 05-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Big Big Train with their best charting release to date at #35 on the UK album charts.

The Decemberists' The Hazards of Love reached 14th in the States in 2009. Not a prog band per se, but Hazards and 2006's The Crane Wife (35th in the States) were prog albums.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Thanks for pointing this out; I just happened to come across Pyhimys & Saimaa: Olisinpa Täällä which is an odd album as well to be #1 (as it is currently in Finland).
    Pyhimys is one of the most popular rappers in Finland at the moment. His latest solo album also went to number one and is still at #14 after spending 65 weeks on the charts, never dropping out of top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Pyhimys is one of the most popular rappers in Finland at the moment. His latest solo album also went to number one and is still at #14 after spending 65 weeks on the charts, never dropping out of top 20.
    Yes I saw that in the charts. So what's the story with that collaboration? Does the rock/prog side of it surprise people there and does it get any coverage?

Yes I saw that in the charts. So what's the story with that collaboration? Does the rock/prog side of it surprise people there and does it get any coverage?
    It has received a lot of media attention. Some members of Saimaa write commercial pop songs as their day job and have worked with Pyhimys earlier in that role. Also, Matka mielen ytimeen featured some lyrics from Pyhimys. The tracks I've heard from the new album are not particularly proggy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    It has received a lot of media attention. Some members of Saimaa write commercial pop songs as their day job and have worked with Pyhimys earlier in that role. Also, Matka mielen ytimeen featured some lyrics from Pyhimys. The tracks I've heard from the new album are not particularly proggy, though.
    Thanks for the reply. If you had to guess what the biggest prog and prog related acts were (foreign and domestic) in Finland, what would you say? Feel free to be very broad in terms of defining what prog is for this question (from the Von Hertzen Brothers or even Nightwish to whatever else you can think of). Thanks!

The new Flying Colors album has done surprisingly well for a proggy album:

Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade) 11
    German Albums (Offizielle Top 100) 16
    Scottish Albums (OCC)] 28
    Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria) 44
    Dutch Albums (Album Top 100) 46
    Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia) 62
    Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE) 81
    French Albums (SNEP) 95
    UK Albums (OCC) 99