Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did any of these albums "shock" anyone when they first came out?

Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    On a related note, I played UK's Nothing to Lose at the beginning of a meeting because it was the theme of the meeting -we got a shit job to do at a shit time, but it wouldn't count against us. Not one person there had ever heard that song before. Out of 20+ people, most older than me (40's). Didn't that song get played on the radio? That shocked me too.
    I remember the live version of Nothing To Lose getting some radio play at the local radio station, but I think the song only charted in the UK.

Kristi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I just listened to half of it on Youtube, and I never heard it before. After Bruford and Holdsworth left what was point.
    Good question Ed, but I remember hearing the song back in the general time frame it was released. Yes, it's a stupid song, but the (endless) repetition of the title was very appropriate for our task. I thought SOMEONE might have heard of it before.

Nothing To Lose is a better attempt at arena rock than most of Asia's debut IMO... Danger Money is certainly a different animal than the four-piece album but as an attempt at hard rock progressive it's pretty damn good, especially for a keys based power trio.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The Beatles-Revolver; Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (especially a "day in the life")
    Frank Zappa(with or without MOI)the first few especially lumpy gravy(solo) or Freak Out
    King Crimson-In the Court of the Crimson King
    Led Zeppelin-first two
    Black Sabbath-same and Paranoid(first two)
    ELP-same (especially "lucky man")
    Yes-The Yes Album (ok nothing really out of the ordinary here but I'm guessing it might have been the first time anyone heard really long songs on commercial rock radio)

Probably a bunch of pych albums too. Maybe some Jimi or Cream or maybe something folky or just plain weird. It could be from any genre or decade.
    For me, the shock was Deep Purple In Rock. And the Fire Suite by Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, side one of the LP. King Crimson, not this one you've mentioned, but the song Starless from Red, after first hearing, I experienced a cathartic emotion. Led Zeppelin, again, not the first two, but the song from their 3d, Since I've Been Loving You. That was a shocking impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well, I just can't imagine anyone hearing the first Black Sabbath album and not peeing their pants.
    Seriously? I was 14 and my pal Ted was 13 when this first came out. He bought it, we listened together and we both thought the music was stupid sludgy rock and the lyrics were so bad they were funny. It certainly wasn't scary or shocking.

Kristi
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Nothing To Lose is a better attempt at arena rock than most of Asia's debut IMO... Danger Money is certainly a different animal than the four-piece album but as an attempt at hard rock progressive it's pretty damn good, especially for a keys based power trio.
    I'm not an Asia fan at all. I enjoy UK's output much more.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Seriously? I was 14 and my pal Ted was 13 when this first came out. He bought it, we listened together and we both thought the music was stupid sludgy rock and the lyrics were so bad they were funny. It certainly wasn't scary or shocking.
    I was truly agog. Listening to it in 1970, it was unlike anything else out there. I'd imagine that one's reaction would be heavily dependent upon the context of the times within which the music was first heard. At the time of release: shocking. 20 years later, maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I was truly agog. Listening to it in 1970, it was unlike anything else out there. I'd imagine that one's reaction would be heavily dependent upon the context of the times within which the music was first heard. At the time of release: shocking. 20 years later, maybe not so much.
    No seriously. "Sludgy" and "hilarious lyrics" was exactly my reaction too... in 1970.

I might've been "shocked" by Rudy Ray Moore or Redd Foxx if I'd heard them at that age... but I didn't.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-27-2013 at 07:50 PM.