Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    At hotel in Lyon getting ready for dinner with Yehuda
    Lots of love to all! Have bigly fun.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    First night done, got to venue, L'Periscope, around 7 for opening ceremonies, just round corner from train station with lots of small hotels in area. The venue is tiny, probably holds no more than 100 with a small bar and seats on the street, all standing, which was ok given the 2nd and 3rd bands but hope for seats today at L'Abbatoir. First up were John Greaves & Annie Barbazza. Annie started with 2 Crimson covers, Epitaph & Moonchild, on acoustic guitar. The rest of the set was mainly John on piano and one or both on vocals. Sounded like an edgy lounge act, not bad. Next was Poil playing a set mainly off the new album, fast, frenetic, high energy, spin on a dime stuff, utterly brilliant, big silly grin on my face all set. Lastly was Mange Ferraile, instrumental guitar, drums and keys/bass, minimalist drum drive noise rock, drummer reminded me of Tony Conrads Dream Syndicate with 4 or 5 note repeated patterns going on and on, don't think i saw the guitarist play a chord all night, mainly just making it screech or using flat fingers across a fret, fun live if a little repetitive without interesting changes or layers, doubt I'd ever buy it.

Good first night
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Day 1- arrived after a sleepless night, so apologies in advance for not getting to talk to anyone in my zombie-like state.
    First show- and one of the main drawing points for me- John Greaves and Annie Barbazza- started with 3 king crimson covers which were a bit over the top for me, something like The Voice meeting kitch prog (sorry, Epitaph is not my favourite KC tune and especially when done with such a flair). Fortunately balance was achieved when Greaves started singing with his raspy voice, and the result was fantastic- I love Greaves songwriting and we got most of the recent album plus some really nice blasts from the past like Bad Alchemy, Kew Rhone (les alpes?) etc. In the John Greaves songs Annie was more subdued and their voices fit perfectly with each other. I guess if you don't know the songs this might come out as lounge music but I simply adore them so for me it was well worth the trip.
    After JG came the unstoppable Poil- a power trio if there ever was just a single one. They played Sus, their latest album in its entirety (?) And of course the crowd pleaser Tronche-a-cul as the encore. What can I say that wasn't said already- these guys are masters of their craft, delivering an abundance of notes and rhythmic complexity at such ease that I sometimes had to wonder if they are human at all. (I guess tomorrow I will get to the conclusion that they are definitely not, in the Piniol show )
    Personally I prefer Poil studio albums and composition over Piniol's (more dynamics and more complexity) but I guess nothing can match Piniol's sheer power at live settings.
    After Poil's show I was so tired and overblown that I did not stay for the last show. Seriously, what can follow these guys?
    And now am on the train to Bourgoin Jallieu, see you guys soon

And some snippets from the shows (I did not film or record, just these for nostalgia sake)

Day 2 was outstanding as expected, moved from Lyon to Bourgoin-jallieu and the Abbatoir venue, big old building with great sound plenty of seats and a sunken standing area in front of the stage that avoids obstructing seated sight lines, found the best sound was seated as a bit muddy up front. First up Schnellertollermeier, swiss minimalist heavy jazz rock, tight as hell and sounding excellent. Second was the return of a.P.a.T.t bonkers Caberet rock with a punky tinge and masses of energy, loads of fun. Lastly the utterly sublime full-on crushingly heavy Koenji Hyakkei, an outstanding set that left the audience breathless and awestruck. Superb day.

Steve - the Schnellertollermeier guys say hi, had a great chat with Andy last night post gig, they were superb as expected, seemed to get a good reaction.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Steve - the Schnellertollermeier guys say hi
    Where's the emoji for 'waves back'??
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Day 2 was outstanding as expected, moved from Lyon to Bourgoin-jallieu and the Abbatoir venue, big old building with great sound plenty of seats and a sunken standing area in front of the stage that avoids obstructing seated sight lines, found the best sound was seated as a bit muddy up front. First up Schnellertollermeier, swiss minimalist heavy jazz rock, tight as hell and sounding excellent. Second was the return of a.P.a.T.t bonkers Caberet rock with a punky tinge and masses of energy, loads of fun. Lastly the utterly sublime full-on crushingly heavy Koenji Hyakkei, an outstanding set that left the audience breathless and awestruck. Superb day.

Steve - the Schnellertollermeier guys say hi, had a great chat with Andy last night post gig, they were superb as expected, seemed to get a good reaction.
    Ian, thanks for the report. I so wish I could be there. I've never seen Schnellertollermeier and Koenji are god-like to me, so....jealous, I am! Enjoy, my friend.

neil

Thank you good gentlemen for your reports, I really appreciate it!
    Have fun and take care!

Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Day 3 was the first early start at 3pm with The Watts (Chris Cutler, Tim Hodgkinson, Yumi Hara) 45 minutes of avant improv, I can take or leave this stuff that often sounds formless, worked well, i was in the mood. For their encore Geoff Leigh and Keith Macksoud joined them for a very groovy Isle Of Everywhere (Gong) cover. Second was Piniol doing pretty much the same set as last year, grooves and pounds along joyfully. We then had a 2 hour dinner break until John Greaves, Annie Barbazza & the North Sea Radio Orchestra. They started with 2 Blegvad tracks, some Wyatt & Costello's Shipbuilding before performing the whole of Rock Bottom. Very moving and really nice arrangements, excellent. The event closed with Present featuring new guitarist Francois Mignot of Ni and featuring two new tracks. Was a bit chaotic between tracks with some long pauses but while playing were very good and i enjoyed the new material.

Overall a really good weekend with the line-up of bands particularly impressive, well done to the organizers for getting the new locations organized. There were some old friends missing due to the schedule changes and other circumstances (Debi, Helaine, Marc, Thomas, Klaus, Lutz notably) but most of the rest of the gang were there. The Periscope in Lyon is too small and hot, maybe 100 max fitted in all standing. The Abbatoir is a better venue with good sound ( though muddy at the front), good sight lines, nice standing area at the front, the main 'seats' were very uncomfortable and I couldn't use them unless at the back wall to support my back. Food was average to poor, basic with little selection. Security was bonkers, walking through the auditorium during sets, confiscating water at the gate, not letting people back into the auditorium after leaving midset, not letting people back on site after a cut off time. The could have done with more outdoor cover given that was the main area to congregate between sets and it rained quite a bit. All the outdoor seating was soaked as a result.

Had a great time, hung with a bunch of friends old and new and enjoyed great performances. Will certainly be back next year.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-12-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    Ian

As the saying goes, take any 2 jews if you want 3 different opinions- my take on day 2 and 3:
    Schnellertollermeier- like Ian said above, very tasteful minimal buildups with very nuanced guitar work, I enjoyed it.
    After them A.p.a.t.t - second time in RIO and great as the first time was, though the setlist had some overlap with previous show since there was no new album in between. Still, like Ian said, great fun.
    Last in the day were Koenji Hyakkei- I feel like uncle Scrooge here but I didn't like the show at all, am not a fan of Koenji and never was, so I have a deja-vu from previous time when I was the only one going meh...
    I think I enjoyed it even less this time, in the previous show the singer was more animated and vital and less annoying and scatting (a singing style which I hate- I find its name very descriptive )
    Also, this was the first show where I sat down, and actually find the sound in the back muddier than the front- I usually stood on the edge of the stage so picked up mostly the stage amps, usually this means suffering all the returns from the back of the hall but in this hall it just sounded fine.
    End of day 2, another great day at the RIO

I hadn't even realised that the RIO fest was an early week-end this year, starting on Thursday evening and ending on Saturday night.

Did the change of venue and region attract a new crowd??

Overall a really good weekend with the line-up of bands particularly impressive, well done to the organizers for getting the new locations organized. There were some old friends missing due to the schedule changes and other circumstances (Debi, Helaine, Marc, Thomas, Klaus, Lutz notably) but most of the rest of the gang were there. The Periscope in Lyon is too small and hot, maybe 100 max fitted in all standing. The Abbatoir is a better venue with good sound ( though muddy at the front), good sight lines, nice standing area at the front, the main 'seats' were very uncomfortable and I couldn't use them unless at the back wall to support my back. Food was average to poor, basic with little selection. Security was bonkers, walking through the auditorium during sets, confiscating water at the gate, not letting people back into the auditorium after leaving midset, not letting people back on site after a cut off time. The could have done with more outdoor cover given that was the main area to congregate between sets and it rained quite a bit. All the outdoor seating was soaked as a result.

Had a great time, hung with a bunch of friends old and new and enjoyed great performances. Will certainly be back next year.
    This isn't likely to entice me to next year's edition... I had resented in Carmaux that we couldn't walk back in the outdoors and ahad to use the entry doors again, but this is nothing next to the near-airport security enforcement measures of this cultural activity.

I'd be surprised Michel Besset argreed with or enjoyed these strict measures.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just for the record, John Greaves also played "God Song" solo after the two Greaves/Blegvad songs he did with Annie Barbazza ("Bad Alchemy" and "The Song"). The NSRO part was ALL Robert Wyatt material - the first couple of songs were "Forest" (from "Cuckooland") and "The British Road" (from "Old Rottenhat"), then they did "Maryan" by Philip Catherine (from Robert's "Shleep" album) and, as Ian mentioned, "Shipbuilding", before they played the entire "Rock Bottom", then encored with "O Caroline" as you'd expect.

PS: Note that the drummer with the NSRO was Cheb Nettles of the current Gong band. He told me he got the gig through Kavus being a mutual friend with NSRO leader Craig Fortnam.
    Last edited by calyx; 05-12-2019 at 05:33 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Thanks for the correction
    Ian

Ok, day 3 for me-
    The watts- took some time for me to click but when it happened it happened- and what a great treat for the encore, and quite surprising for me as I didn't expect these folks to do "what the audience wants".
    In between shows we had 2 different performances by Geoff Leigh - the first set had him on flute etc accompanied by a Bandoneon player, Geoff was highly entertaining and highly musical, improvising lyrics on the spot which was hilarious (from what I gathered with my limited french).
    Then came Piniol- this is the 5th time I get to see them, with exactly the same material, and yet it doesn't cease to amaze me each time- what a fantastic and energetic show
    . After Piniol, a well needed break and then another short set by Geoff Leigh- this time solo with electronics to manipulate the flute, percussion, singing etc. It started off a-la frippetronics style (reminiscent of the Travis / Fripp duos) and developed from there-
    There was some problem with the laptop which introduced some digital clicks which annoyed the hell out Geoff, however I enjoyed his show nonetheless- very inventive use of the sampling and pitch changes etc, not the usual beat box electronic.
    After Geoff was the NSRO Wyatt tribute, I thought it was very nicely done (perhaps some minor quibbles about the mix) but overall I loved it, the covers were tasteful and respectful yet still adding something original to the mix. I understand those who thought that this album should not be touched and cannot be performed by anyone else, but since this album is etched in the inner layers of my onion brain it was fun to hear a new and fresh take on it.
    Again, break and on to the last show- Present, which started with a bang with an old / unpublished piece (I think it is on the Barbaro DVD bonuses if memory serves?), then a great Ceux den bas (always a crowd pleaser, give the people what they want! )
    Roger sang his typical vocals which added alot to the show, and his keyboard was audible for a change
    It took the Kermanister some time to warm up but when he did... oh my. It is always a treat to watch but this time was even more fierce than I remembered. Perhaps because I was practically standing on the edge of the stage. After the new piece they played the inevitable encore Promenade with fantastic delivery from Francois who managed to change a broken string in a record breaking time before the song started. As usual as any Present show that I seen (ha! As usual as every once in a decade can get) they delivered the goods, with pipe and all.
    So, another great festival comes to an end, lots of people were missed, a pleasure to meet the usual suspects who did attend, some new faces (notably Emme Phesima or however it is spelled, a beatifull young girl that not only likes this music but actually creates it- I could compare this to a unicorn sighting in the Sahara )
    All and all the arrangement was fine, some minor quibbles like said above- no place to gather and sit down between the shows when it rains, the food was poor and no choice at all, but on a brighter note- it was finally possible to pay with credit card, this means alot to me! (More album spending money )
    Another note RE organization- since the rocktime website is no more, it was impossible to find accurate and relevant information, especially when I dont have facebook- so if any of the organizers reading this- for the next time, please!
    And one last word of thank you to the organizers which made this miracle happen again, no trivial at all!

Everyone seems to have had an excellent time and that's great. Hope the festival continues for many years to come.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Some more short clips:

Some more clips:

^^^^

I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that the Present show would be two new, previously unheard pieces by RT....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^ There was one new long piece (which was shortened from 50 something minutes to about 20-30? Not sure), another new / old piece (the show opener, can be found in the Barbaro DVD bonuses, and the pieces above.

Here's North Sea Radio Orchestra & John Greaves doing Little Red Robin Hood.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...Vv4bcT579q3spk

If it's inapproprate to have such a long clip up, someone let me know and I'll remove it from pCloud.

Anyhow. It was a great weekend and excellent to meet and talk to everyone, performers and fans alike. See you next year, definitely.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that the Present show would be two new, previously unheard pieces by RT....
    No, they opened with a new arrangement of "Contre", then did "Ceux D'En Bas". Then Roger's new piece, of which they played 25 minutes (I clocked it) - they're not sure how much of what they didn't play they'll use in the event of a studio recording - and then "Promenade".

Apparently, "Vertiges" had been a contender with "Ceux", which was chosen because it would be easier to rehearse. I would personally have preferred it. A bit too much repetition and Roger growling. The second half of the performance, on the other hand, was great.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Apparently, "Vertiges" had been a contender with "Ceux", which was chosen because it would be easier to rehearse. I would personally have preferred it.
    As I told Udi earlier, privately; If I had to pick only one RT composition, it's Vertiges....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Another great RIO festival is over ...shorter so because I couldn't make it on thursday.. a bit sad note too : the reason the RIO took place in Bourgoin Jallieu was that the ROCKTIME association which had organized the RIO festivals until last year and had existed and organized concert s and festivals since 1990 ( and came out of a structure TRANSPARENCE going back to the 70s ) had ceased to exist.... I missed not so much the place but the athmopshere of all the people involved into ROCKTIME and the many volunteers that worked during the RIO festivals..btw apart from Michel Besset and his wife Henry the former president of ROCKTIME and Marie-Jo who did all the contracts were also PRESENT (pun intended) during the festival.

Being the party pooper I heard from several official sides that this year RIO in Bourgoin Jallieu was a one off... José Molina the director of Les Abbatoirs was helping out Michel and there won't be a RIO festival on a regular basis in Bourgoin Jallieu . Michel expressed a wish that the RIO flame could go on in other countries with the same spirit. Seen that a lot of visitors come already from quite far away this would'n t be a problem to do it elsewhere IMO It was really cold one night and I was talking with Yehuda and half joking I asked him to organize a RIO in Tel Aviv for sake of better weather, but actually why not ... and good news Akiko Nagai who works for DiskUnion Japan and had alreday organized a RIO Festival in TOKYO in 2014 will organize another one in February 2020 in Tokyo and it's more or les confirmed that PRESENT will be headlining.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Some more snippets: