Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rock In Opposition 2019 announced

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Another great RIO festival is over ...shorter so because I couldn't make it on thursday.. a bit sad note too : the reason the RIO took place in Bourgoin Jallieu was that the ROCKTIME association which had organized the RIO festivals until last year and had existed and organized concert s and festivals since 1990 ( and came out of a structure TRANSPARENCE going back to the 70s ) had ceased to exist.... I missed not so much the place but the athmopshere of all the people involved into ROCKTIME and the many volunteers that worked during the RIO festivals..btw apart from Michel Besset and his wife Henry the former president of ROCKTIME and Marie-Jo who did all the contracts were also PRESENT (pun intended) during the festival.

Being the party pooper I heard from several official sides that this year RIO in Bourgoin Jallieu was a one off... José Molina the director of Les Abbatoirs was helping out Michel and there won't be a RIO festival on a regular basis in Bourgoin Jallieu . Michel expressed a wish that the RIO flame could go on in other countries with the same spirit. Seen that a lot of visitors come already from quite far away this would'n t be a problem to do it elsewhere IMO It was really cold one night and I was talking with Yehuda and half joking I asked him to organize a RIO in Tel Aviv for sake of better weather, but actually why not ... and good news Akiko Nagai who works for DiskUnion Japan and had alreday organized a RIO Festival in TOKYO in 2014 will organize another one in February 2020 in Tokyo and it's more or les confirmed that PRESENT will be headlining.
    POIL too
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

I've been a lurker since the end of 2018, when the news about RIO 2019 was announced in this here thread was announced. So it seems fitting that my first post should be a shortish summary of the festival. A bit overdue since my wife and I spent a lovely week in the Alsace on our way back home, but hopefully still of some interest to somebody.

We arrived in our Gîte in Bourgoin on Thursday, spent a bit of time to settle in and go shopping, and then went off to Lyon for Day 1. With a huge train station just a stone's throw away, the rough and tumble ambiente of the Periscope was not a surprise, but the smallish size certainly was.

The intimacy of the venue was a very good fit for the duo of John Greaves and Annie Barbazza, though. I very much enjoyed the first half of the set, in which both of them played a couple of songs by their own, and appreciated the easy cameraderie that they shared. I absolutely loved the second set, which had several of my favorite songs, not just by Greaves/Blegvad, but favorite songs, period. Really had to rein myself in to keep from singing along there, but the huge chasm that yawns between my voice and that of Annie Barbazza was disincentive enough. Apart from a healthy enthusiasm for prog classics less and more obscure, she's got skills up the wazoo - I would not have been surprised by a spontaneous drum intermission when she sat down behind the Kit during John Greaves' solo part - and I'm convinced that she will become a smashingly brilliant singer once she does a little less.

Poil smashed me like an intricate whirlwind of rusty nails. In a good way. I thought I'd knew roughly what to expect from the three times I had seen Piniol in 2018, but the full-throttle onslaught of noise, rhythm, counterrhythm, back and forth of melodies and sheer joyful abandon these three guys kept up for a whole set was, well, unexpected. Great on record, as I've since had time to find out, but a whole nother level of must-see live.

The first day had already started with two festival highlights for me, and so the concluding act, Mange Ferraille, really had their work cut out for them. In another context, I might have enjoyed their rather abrasive tribal noise approach a good deal more, but the buildup of 15 minutes to the one short, intense part that really worked for me was not good enough a deal. Plus (or minus), they made rather aggressive use of high frequencies that I'm usually happy to still be able to hear. So we called it a night in mid-set and made the rather long trip back to Bourgion.

More later.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice review, did we meet during the weekend?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice review, did we meet during the weekend?
    Thank you! And I don't think we did, unfortunately. What with concerts and interviews and buying CDs and occasionally pestering some of the musicians, the only folks we managed to chat with were a nice quartet from Grenoble.

Friday and Sunday:

Schnellertollermeier was the only one of the three Friday acts that I knew beforehand, and I had high expectations from their two albums on Cuneiform. They turned out to be one of the festival highlights - their infectious energy and intensity makes for a great live experience, and their long, intricate pieces really benefit from the more focused attention I bring to a concert, as compared to a record. Thoroughly recommended, and now I regret even more that I missed them due to a nasty cold when they played 3 km away from our home in early April.

Next up, a.P.a.T.t, proud carriers of the torch of british eccentricity. A wild ride where musical styles were switched and traded about as rapidly as the instruments the group members played. While I enjoyed the concert quite a bit, and would readily see them again, I'm not sure how much of that enjoyment would survive transfer to our comparatively staid living room - while the variety of the songs and the unforeseen 90° turns made for a great show, none of it left a hook, so to speak. Predictably, this was one of the best post-concert interview sessions ('Are you wearing a cape? ... A round of applause for the guy in a cape!').

Koenji Hyakkei was, to someone unfamiliar with them, a bit overwhelming. I would definitely need to get better acquainted with them, but a very preliminary impression is that the level of energy is uncompromisingly high. In spite of the rhythmic complexity, the tonal approach seemed to be 'these go to 11' for everyone throughout, but a good part of this might be due to festival fatigue - this was the last of three demanding acts, after all.

Saturday started with Yumi Hara, Chris Cutler and Tim Hodgkinson under the nom de plume The Watts. I had seen the three of them as part of the Lindsay Cooper project Half the Sky, in what was probably my favorite concert of 2018. The Watts was a completely improvised apart from the encore, and so a good deal more cerebral than emotional. Less chances to sing along, too. Describing free music is a challenge, but what struck me most, apart from the astounding balance between the musicians, was the amount of variation in mood and sound colour, without any breaks in the flow. There were a lot of moments where you noticed in hindsight that a substantial transition had happened in the last few minutes, without being able to point towards any decision points that pushed you from A to B. The encore was a piece from Gong that, judging from the audience reaction, was as close to a hit as prog instrumentals can be. A nice ending for an excellent start into the last day of RIO 2019.

Geoff Leigh, who joined the trio for the encore, also had two solo sets between the bigger concerts. I love the Ex-Wise Heads, his project with Colin Edwin, and was very much looking forward to this. Unfortunately, the first set was so packed that we had to give it a miss, and the second one was plagued by glitches and uninvited noises from his gear. The latter was a shame, since he apparently does a good deal more interesting things than just looping himself; the approach seemed to be intended as more random sampling and feedback from his playing, but the equipment took even more liberties than that.

The Piniol set was roughly the same as last year, but it felt the opposite of rote. The songs, while ostensibly being the same, mutate quite a bit over time, and so every gig feels different. We can tell, seeing them thrice in 2018 - Zappanale, RIO, and an October concert just 30 minutes from our home. And certainly would not mind seeing them just as often this year, but so far that does not seem to be in the cards. With the Poil concert still being fresh in my mind, I found it remarkable how seven musicians of this caliber leave so much space to each other and work towards the music with a discipline that is a strange contrast to the apparent chaos and abandon on stage. It exudes a spirit of sharing the fun and collectively building up something huge - the only element of competition appears to be which drummer gets to take off his shirt first.

If we would have needed any persuasion to go to this years RIO, the Rock Bottom set would probably have been enough on its own. John Greaves has yet to be involved in something I don't like, and a new take on a favorite album was enticing, too. As soon as Rock Bottom began - the set started with duets from John Greaves and Annie Barbazza by themselves, and three other Wyatt songs - I became aware of how long it had been since I listened to the original. The only drawback of so much great new music coming out in recent years is that you have less and less time to devote to any single album, even the old favorite ones. That said, this concert was just as wonderful as I had hoped beforehand, and I'm certainly going to dig into what else the North Sea Radio Orchestra have done. I might have preferred something else than Shipbuilding, which is defined for me personally by the MrMcFalls Chamber version, but the choices for the other Wyatt songs were great (especially Maryan).

In spite of their legendary status, Present was new to me, and although they had to contest with my waning concentration, I liked what I heard a lot. Nevertheless, these are huge pieces that throw a lot of weight around, and I'll definitely need to spend more time with this band before being able to say anything worthwhile about their music.

This closed our third RIO, and to us, it was wonderful. Replicating the magical Carmaux experience of being on a small and remote planet exclusively peopled by lovers of music is a tough call for any venue that is not at the end of nowhere, and Les Abattoirs made a very good first impression. Great sound throughout, friendly people, affordable drinks and good food for a festival. The only thing that could stand some improvement was the interview space - far too small on several occasions, and rather uncomfortable after the rain on Saturday. As a note to those unfamiliar with this festival, one of the many things that makes it special are the band interviews after every gig. Expertly (and bilingually) conducted by the inimitable Aymeric Leroy, they complement and round out what you've just heard and seen on stage, which often makes you appreciate the music and the musicians even more.

All in all, I'd love for the rumors about this RIO incarnation being a one-off thing to be untrue, and we would certainly be there for a second act in 2020.

Very nice review.

I'd suggest you checkout Fun With Music by a.P.a.T.t. https://apatt.bandcamp.com/album/fun-with-music, as I find it loaded with hooks and gets loads of repeat listening from me.

Certainly Koenji Hyakkei & Present are worthy of further exploration.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MaikH View Post
    Friday and Sunday:

Schnellertollermeier was the only one of the three Friday acts that I knew beforehand, and I had high expectations from their two albums on Cuneiform. They turned out to be one of the festival highlights - their infectious energy and intensity makes for a great live experience, and their long, intricate pieces really benefit from the more focused attention I bring to a concert, as compared to a record. Thoroughly recommended, and now I regret even more that I missed them due to a nasty cold when they played 3 km away from our home in early April.

Next up, a.P.a.T.t, proud carriers of the torch of british eccentricity. A wild ride where musical styles were switched and traded about as rapidly as the instruments the group members played. While I enjoyed the concert quite a bit, and would readily see them again, I'm not sure how much of that enjoyment would survive transfer to our comparatively staid living room - while the variety of the songs and the unforeseen 90° turns made for a great show, none of it left a hook, so to speak. Predictably, this was one of the best post-concert interview sessions ('Are you wearing a cape? ... A round of applause for the guy in a cape!').

Koenji Hyakkei was, to someone unfamiliar with them, a bit overwhelming. I would definitely need to get better acquainted with them, but a very preliminary impression is that the level of energy is uncompromisingly high. In spite of the rhythmic complexity, the tonal approach seemed to be 'these go to 11' for everyone throughout, but a good part of this might be due to festival fatigue - this was the last of three demanding acts, after all.

Saturday started with Yumi Hara, Chris Cutler and Tim Hodgkinson under the nom de plume The Watts. I had seen the three of them as part of the Lindsay Cooper project Half the Sky, in what was probably my favorite concert of 2018. The Watts was a completely improvised apart from the encore, and so a good deal more cerebral than emotional. Less chances to sing along, too. Describing free music is a challenge, but what struck me most, apart from the astounding balance between the musicians, was the amount of variation in mood and sound colour, without any breaks in the flow. There were a lot of moments where you noticed in hindsight that a substantial transition had happened in the last few minutes, without being able to point towards any decision points that pushed you from A to B. The encore was a piece from Gong that, judging from the audience reaction, was as close to a hit as prog instrumentals can be. A nice ending for an excellent start into the last day of RIO 2019.

Geoff Leigh, who joined the trio for the encore, also had two solo sets between the bigger concerts. I love the Ex-Wise Heads, his project with Colin Edwin, and was very much looking forward to this. Unfortunately, the first set was so packed that we had to give it a miss, and the second one was plagued by glitches and uninvited noises from his gear. The latter was a shame, since he apparently does a good deal more interesting things than just looping himself; the approach seemed to be intended as more random sampling and feedback from his playing, but the equipment took even more liberties than that.

The Piniol set was roughly the same as last year, but it felt the opposite of rote. The songs, while ostensibly being the same, mutate quite a bit over time, and so every gig feels different. We can tell, seeing them thrice in 2018 - Zappanale, RIO, and an October concert just 30 minutes from our home. And certainly would not mind seeing them just as often this year, but so far that does not seem to be in the cards. With the Poil concert still being fresh in my mind, I found it remarkable how seven musicians of this caliber leave so much space to each other and work towards the music with a discipline that is a strange contrast to the apparent chaos and abandon on stage. It exudes a spirit of sharing the fun and collectively building up something huge - the only element of competition appears to be which drummer gets to take off his shirt first.

If we would have needed any persuasion to go to this years RIO, the Rock Bottom set would probably have been enough on its own. John Greaves has yet to be involved in something I don't like, and a new take on a favorite album was enticing, too. As soon as Rock Bottom began - the set started with duets from John Greaves and Annie Barbazza by themselves, and three other Wyatt songs - I became aware of how long it had been since I listened to the original. The only drawback of so much great new music coming out in recent years is that you have less and less time to devote to any single album, even the old favorite ones. That said, this concert was just as wonderful as I had hoped beforehand, and I'm certainly going to dig into what else the North Sea Radio Orchestra have done. I might have preferred something else than Shipbuilding, which is defined for me personally by the MrMcFalls Chamber version, but the choices for the other Wyatt songs were great (especially Maryan).

In spite of their legendary status, Present was new to me, and although they had to contest with my waning concentration, I liked what I heard a lot. Nevertheless, these are huge pieces that throw a lot of weight around, and I'll definitely need to spend more time with this band before being able to say anything worthwhile about their music.

This closed our third RIO, and to us, it was wonderful. Replicating the magical Carmaux experience of being on a small and remote planet exclusively peopled by lovers of music is a tough call for any venue that is not at the end of nowhere, and Les Abattoirs made a very good first impression. Great sound throughout, friendly people, affordable drinks and good food for a festival. The only thing that could stand some improvement was the interview space - far too small on several occasions, and rather uncomfortable after the rain on Saturday. As a note to those unfamiliar with this festival, one of the many things that makes it special are the band interviews after every gig. Expertly (and bilingually) conducted by the inimitable Aymeric Leroy, they complement and round out what you've just heard and seen on stage, which often makes you appreciate the music and the musicians even more.

All in all, I'd love for the rumors about this RIO incarnation being a one-off thing to be untrue, and we would certainly be there for a second act in 2020.
    Great review, thanks!

Just in case someone's interested and the RIO-fests nostalgics the TdF will go by Carmaux and Blaye-Les-Mines before ending the stage in Albi on Monday 15...

Then, the Tour will take a rest in Albi on Tuesday 16 and will depart for Toulouse on the 17th.

Sooooo through your TV, you guys will have a shot at showing your wives that you were indeed at the RIO fest and know somewhat the region.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sweet - thanks for the heads up!
    Ian

MaikH splendid report - that made me feel a furious envy for not being there. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    MaikH splendid report - that made me feel a furious envy for not being there. Cheers!
    Thanks for the kind words! Apropos your nick (and possible festival envy): is anyone planning on going to this year's Zappanale in July?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Just in case someone's interested and the RIO-fests nostalgics the TdF will go by Carmaux and Blaye-Les-Mines before ending the stage in Albi on Monday 15...

Then, the Tour will take a rest in Albi on Tuesday 16 and will depart for Toulouse on the 17th.

Sooooo through your TV, you guys will have a shot at showing your wives that you were indeed at the RIO fest and know somewhat the region.
    Kind reminder

Today's the Albi-Carmaux tour.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

New video of the bands & the fans from last years festival, lovely stuff

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    New video of the bands & the fans from last years festival, lovely stuff
    Thank you for that lovely blast from the past! Strange to think that this was less than a year ago; with the current situation, it seems a lot farther away.