Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buffy Season 5 Episode 16 "The Body"

I'm still watching through Wynonna Earp S3. S4 is not scheduled on this channel and I don't think has aired in the UK yet. A pity the character Jolene was dispatched so quickly, as I thought she was quite a strong villain! However, I thought the Christmas episode sent the Velveeta-meter off the scale.

Nicole has always had her police job and is now a sheriff, but I'm not sure who the others are funded by and actually work for now.

Played by Zoie Palmer from The Expanse (Robot) and Lost Girl (Lauren).
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I have now finished Wynonna Earp S3. The last episode was good, but I didn't like that 'Vampire Doc' twist in this series at all. Just felt like clutter, and there was already a lot happening in S3. I do normally like Doc (as in Doc Holliday) and think it's an entertaining performance.

Buffy is now 24 years old exactly. Did anyone see it from the very start in 1997?

I did, but it did not resonate until much later.

FWIW, I can view all S4 episodes of Wynonna Earp on NBC.com, for reasons I do not understand. There are now 7 eps available. I think you can purchase all of S4 on Amazon for about 20 bucks.

When I first watched Buffy last year, I thought the opening two-parter was fun. The first episode where I thought, oh this show is getting interesting, was The Pack. Some really bad episodes in that first series as well like Teacher's Pet and I Robot You Jane.

I don't think it really finds its feet till the middle of series 2 but never really looks back after that.

^Yes, I think I said before that the Angelus arc in S2 was where it became really exceptional.

S1 is more about establishing the characters and it does that very well. The S1 finale Prophecy Girl is a strong episode.

After I finished the show last year I watched the earlier film. It's not very good, alas.

The same channel that showed Wynonna Earp (which I understand is having its last episode air in the US tonight) is now showing Lost Girl. I missed the first couple of episodes but even so, the show's mythology/'world' seems a bit convoluted to me thus far. Not sure what I feel about it. I do like Kenzi though.

Having done Buffy S4 (lined up with Angel S1 this time!), I'll also be re-watching Buffy S5 which was one of my favourites on my first watch-through last year.

We finished S4 rewatch a few weeks ago and are now careening through S5 at a higher rate. Despite Glory being a bit of a dumbass S5 is a better round, tighter and of course with much more gravitas than its predecessor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Despite looking like she came from Baywatch, appearances can be deceptive! Glory was a much better villain than Adam. Brattish, totally insane and physically a match for Buffy.

Adam was too often Mr. Exposition. As a result, 'Primeval' where he was defeated was quite flat. I'm not surprised it was decided to take a different approach to end S4 with 'Restless'.

S4 is good but a little patchy. On my first watch I felt that its first few episodes were pretty rough and I hadn't changed my mind. Although I liked 'Pangs' and 'Something Blue' more. The latter basically sets up S6!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The same channel that showed Wynonna Earp (which I understand is having its last episode air in the US tonight) is now showing Lost Girl.
    I liked Lost Girl. Good characters, relationships, concepts, and plenty of humor. Could be a tad campy at times but not at the expense of the show.

Well I've seen through to the end of Lost Girl's first series and I struggled through it TBH. Just couldn't get into it. It only ever really came alive for me when Kenzi was on screen. I didn't personally feel Wynonna Earp was Buffy-level quality either, but I did still enjoy it on its own terms. It had more of a spark, a good ensemble cast and I liked the 'Earp curse' backstory.

Anyway I'm more or less following this Buffy/Angel rewatch guide. I'll try the Angel episode Darla before Buffy's Fool For Love as suggested here, but most seem to have it the other way round, as it aired.

http://josswhedon.blogspot.com/2012/...ing-order.html

We finished season five of Buffy and watched the opening two-parter for season 6. I'm thinking we'll watch the musical episode and quit on the high point. I am not a fan of either of those last two seasons.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

With the exception of Tara's death, I did very much like Buffy S6. I accept it's divisive though. Quite an interesting revisionist article on it and particularly 'the Trio's contemporary resonance here:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...onathan-andrew

S7...well, half of it was great! A shame about the other half.

I'm not far off The Body in my rewatch (although I approach it with some trepidation!) and what strikes me again is just how excellent SMG's performances are throughout. That scene in Checkpoint where Buffy lays down the law to the essentially impotent Watchers' Council is spectacular. I think the only flaw with S5 is that daft 'Knights Of Byzantium' sub-plot.

And meanwhile the Whedon scandal rumbles on. Again, not sexual allegations a la Weinstein, but power-crazed tyrannical behaviour. I'm not into these superhero movies so I haven't seen it. But this particular film seems to have been a real nightmare behind the scenes.

https://buffy-boards.com/threads/gal...-filming.77895

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm not far off The Body in my rewatch (although I approach it with some trepidation!) and what strikes me again is just how excellent SMG's performances are throughout. That scene in Checkpoint where Buffy lays down the law to the essentially impotent Watchers' Council is spectacular. I think the only flaw with S5 is that daft 'Knights Of Byzantium' sub-plot.

And meanwhile the Whedon scandal rumbles on. Again, not sexual allegations a la Weinstein, but power-crazed tyrannical behaviour. I'm not into these superhero movies so I haven't seen it. But this particular film seems to have been a real nightmare behind the scenes.

https://buffy-boards.com/threads/gal...-filming.77895
    Are you seeing The Nevers? Is that being broadcast on your side of the pond? The first few episodes had a ton of Whedon tropes and styles but it's tapering off into something else.

Good that Gal took the situation and got the higher ups involved. Also, is it really advisable to piss off a woman who can indeed kick your ass?

^I'm not sure if it's been on here yet but I'm aware of it. I understand he 'left' The Nevers and other projects even before all these other stories coming out this year.

The Nevers is pretty good, and should definitely appeal to Buffy fans, IMO. Entirely different setting, but a similar feel and tone.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Whedon was there for the first 6 eps before getting tossed (or stepping down...). And of course it has all his hallmarks, good and bad- for example, he just killed a character who just went public with her love for someone- same old shit from him in that regard. And all the characters are basically Buffy surrogates for each character. Prudence= Willow, for example. Maladie equals Drusilla. My problem is that I never cared for steam punk and this is definitely that.
    Gal Gadot has put another stake into his career. Right choice of words, for sure.

Looks like The Nevers makes its debut in the UK next Monday.

So, The Body...I first saw it last summer and it's just as stark and difficult a watch the second time around. Again Sarah Michelle Gellar is exceptional. The scene which really sends me over the edge though is Willow and Tara's.

I still don't get that action scene in the morgue at all. A real 'WTF' moment for me. At least it's short!

The point of the morgue scene was nothing more than to say that despite the loss, life still goes on and one still has to live in it. Willow and Tara's scene was important for a lot of reasons, but the one that destroys me is the one where Dawn finds out, and we only see it, but do not hear it.

Anya's scene (where she tries to make sense of the effects of mortality) is also memorable, but I really tired of the character towards the end of this fifth series. Too many 'Anya says an inappropriate thing again, isn't she funny??' scenes. But I also felt she developed a harder, meaner edge which wasn't particularly appealing. And her attitude became a bit much, as in her 'vengeance demon' guise, she probably had a higher body count than Angelus and Spike!
    Last edited by JJ88; 6 Days Ago at 06:43 AM.

Much as I hate to say it, the 5th episode of The Nevers was pretty strong, and no matter what else, the acting is excellent. But the story of the split between the women is basically the story of Buffy and Willow, with Willow not wanting to be the sidekick any more. So Penance wants to act moral while Amalia wants to do what is necessary, which would allow Maladie to die (and did anyone really think that was Maladie at the end?). Meanwhile the bad guys- and they are very bad, so bad it is laughable- are out there being agents of chaos. The Touched are the Chosen, really. It is Buffy redux.

I'll watch The Nevers at some point. Some of the reviews I've seen have been more about Whedon's transgressions, which doesn't seem fair on the cast or the show's other writers.

I'll give Firefly a go as well. I believe Tim Minear was also heavily involved with that. He wrote some of the best Angel episodes. Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been? in particular is an amazing episode, and Reunion (with Darla and Drusilla on the rampage) is also tremendous.