Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy Season 5 Episode 16 "The Body"

I don't want to read anything too spoilerific/specific, but I have already gathered that the last Angel series is a bit of a bloodbath. Kind of unusual that it continued after Buffy ended, actually.

I'd forgotten about Dopplegangland when mentioning favourite Buffy episodes- 'I'm a blood-sucking fiend!' Band Candy is another joyously silly affair in the 3rd series.

"I'm so evil and skanky, and I think I'm kind of gay." Willow discussing evil Willow.

See minute 3.09:
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Here is my hot take- watch Wynonna Earp. Emily Andras, the showrunner, will never violate your trust and her program is so damned good it hurts.
    I discovered about an hour before it was on last night that a UK channel is showing at least S1 of this- maybe the others too. So I'm giving it a go as I've seen it mentioned by others too.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yep, Sandollar was partly hers, and they put up the funds. The woman is responsible for more good in the world on her own than I don't even know.

And as for Wynonna Earp, the relation between Wavery and Nicole drives the show, more than between Wynonna and Doc- and I have to say, the actors are- without exception- good people who take their fans seriously and treat them like royalty.

Does this Dolly Parton thing come out of the film? I watched the film a few months after the series and it's...not very good. At all! Hard to put into words just how much better the TV series is.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I discovered about an hour before it was on last night that a UK channel is showing at least S1 of this- maybe the others too. So I'm giving it a go as I've seen it mentioned by others too.
    And it does look like S2 of Wynonna Earp will follow on the same channel. I've seen the first five episodes of S1 and it looks like quite a fun show thus far. I like the supernatural modern Western vibe.

Wynonna Earp is superb. S4 second part begins in the spring. I will tell you that the second episode of the 4th season has a scene that is unlike anything you have ever seen on a major network show. No word yet on a 5th season and I fear that they will not get it. SyFy has been pulling good shows due to cost.

I also recommend Lost Girl. And Warrior Nun.

Last edited by Dana5140; 01-23-2021 at 03:51 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Warrior Nun is a hoot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I would not mess with Sister Beatrice.

Have you seen Teenage Bounty Hunters? Talk about a hoot. All of these are children of Buffy.

I've heard of Lost Girl, I think that played in the UK somewhere. Not sure the other two made it to these shores. Russell T Davies has spoken of Buffy being an influence on his Doctor Who revival. Although honestly I preferred Buffy, there are more layers.

I can see the Buffy/Willow type of dynamic with Wynonna/Waverly- one the action heroine type, the other a 'researcher'- although obviously the latter are sisters.

And Willow with Tara, and Waverly with Nicole. Except Nicole gets to live. Bullet-proof vest!

Lost Girl is excellent and is another show that Emily Andras has been involved with, like she is with Wynonna Earp. Anna Silk plays Bo, Ksenia Solo plays Kenzi, Rachel Skarsten, who is now on Batwoman, plays Tamsin, Zoie Palmer (The Expanse) plays Lauren, etc. If it's Andras, it is strong women.

Nicole Haught has only briefly been in the episodes I've seen thus far, although her interest in Waverly is already obvious.

Reading around on Buffy, I've gotten the impression that Willow/Tara came about because of their first scenes together in Hush. Those made everyone think, oh we've definitely got something here. And I don't understand as to why Tara wasn't properly in the opening credits until...well...

The show that I feel Buffy had the biggest influence on was VERONICA MARS. The snarky, clever writing and the feminist empowerment making men look stupid.

I also feel shows like Gilmore Girls and Psych took something from Buffy with the Pop Culture referencing and in the case of Psych, making the bad guys look stupid/foolish in a comedic way.

I was a Buffy fan, although once Angel left and they brought in Riley, I was more underwhelmed with it. I don't even recall if I even saw The Body, lol.

Riley was pretty much the square-jawed 'cowboy guy' that Willow saw him as in her 'play' dream. I didn't mind him that much in S4 but I was glad to see the back of him by the time he left- he got too mopey and whiny. That whole 'Initiative' plot in S4 wasn't great, although S4 still managed to have some of my favourite episodes in the whole show. Hush, Who Are You, New Moon Rising, Restless...

Veronica Mars is already on my radar as another series I'll watch one day.

Season 1 of Veronica Mars was perfect. Great acting, great show and nothing occult about what happened. Seeing both Alyson Hannigan and Charisma Carpenter in S2 and 3 was sort of nifty.

Let me tell you why Tara was not in the credits. Amber Benson, now someone I've met, refused to be put on the cast because she wanted to keep her options open for other work- today she is not acting much any more, but is writing novels, screenplays, directing and so on. As a result, I think she got like $8000 per episode, which was scale for guest actors in a recurring role. The idea of putting her in Seeing Red full credit turned out to be a very bad idea, since it was really a mislead. And it certainly upset a whole lot of people. (Actually, Amber Benson and Charisma Carpenter are doing a live session together next week where you can sign up and interact). https://mycon.live/

Kat Barrell (Nicole Haught) takes on a larger role as the show progresses.

New Moon Rising remains my fave episode. The Body is the best hour of episodic TV ever broadcast, but it is very hard to re-watch, having suffered loss in my family.

Thanks- I'd read conflicting reports on the credits situation, so it's good to have that confirmed for sure.

After I finished Buffy in October, I watched that Entertainment Weekly reunion thing from 2017 which was a good watch. There was one for Angel in 2019 which I'll watch when I've finished that. Although sadly a couple of that show's regular cast are no longer with us- there was a tribute to Glenn Quinn in one of the S4 episodes, it's that long ago.

Yeah, Glen Quinn and Andy Hallett are both gone now. I have to be honest, I never liked Angel at all, which I think I said. Poeple like Boreana and Amy Acker have gone on to bigger and better. A lot of the Buffy cast did not- though I saw Emma Caulfield (Anya) now has a role in Wandavision. But not Nick Brendon, James Marsters or Amber Benson- none of them did much after Buffy. Bit players did go on- Amy Adams for example (Cousin Beth in the episode Family). Danny Strong, who played Jonathon, has really become famous now. He is a producer and writer- wrote some of the Hunger Games scripts, produced Empire, etc.

Before I watched Buffy last year, I remember SMG and Boreanaz being popular. Alyson Hannigan and Anthony Head are the ones I personally had seen in other things- in the UK at least, Anthony Head has been in a lot of things. The fact he'd been in Buffy somehow passed me by altogether! I knew little to nothing about anyone else in the show.

Alyson Hannigan went on to the very successful How I Met Your Mother here in the US. It ran for nine seasons. I'm pretty sure when she meets SMG for lunch she can cover the bill. I've seen Anthony Head in a ridiculous amount of stuff. Boreanaz has had two successful series since Buffy. But the rest kind of faded off. We are working through the fourth season and Oz just left Sunnydale. Boy, did Seth Green screw up. Never leave a successful TV show for "other projects/movies/make a rap album". The worst move an actor can make.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't understand why Seth Green didn't become a bigger star. I always thought he was great.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah I'd have said Hannigan was probably the most successful after the show ended. HIMYM is regularly repeated here too.

Actually I forgot Seth Green. I did remember his role in those Austin Powers films and it's clear he also had a successful career after leaving in terms of voiceover work etc. I have read that James Marsters was in Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood for a while- I wasn't watching that by then. In terms of spin-offs, I definitely liked Angel more than that!

Financially David Boreanas is more successful- Buffy to Angel to Bones to his latest show Seal Team. Hannigan went from Buffy to HIMYM, with a stop at Veronica Mars in between, and now is doing a variety of stuff- on Food TV, kids voiceover, and small release movies, plus Penn and Teller. But Danny Strong is by far the most successful Buffy Alumni. (Unless you count Eliza Dushku marrying a billionaire, that is). Easier for the guys, I guess. Hannigan will be 47 soon, hard to believe, so cannot play the high-schooler any more.

The funny thing is that Hannigan, who really was great as Willow, is best known for her line in American Pie: "This one time in band camp.." And only she, of all people, can pull that line off with such utter innocence. (Of course, long before she met and married Alexis Denisof she was dating Marilyn Manson's drummerGinger Fish/Ken Wilson at the time).

I'm now into Angel S5, with Spike materialising via amulet, posted to Angel/Wolfram and Hart. Who actually posted that amulet (after Sunnydale was supposedly destroyed) was not addressed, however!

Wynonna Earp S2 will be on but is dumped in an early morning slot and clashes with Angel. There's a way around it, but what annoys me is that both of these particular channels show stuff which has been on again and again in earlier slots. These shows haven't.