Thread: DPRP writers top 10 releases 2018

DPRP writers top 10 releases 2018

DPRP have just published their writers top 10 lists. http://weekendprog.blogspot.com/2018...sive-rock.html

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    DPRP have just published their writers top 10 lists. http://weekendprog.blogspot.com/2018...sive-rock.html
    It's a shame they did not list the artist and album.... Only the tracks and cover. Seems weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    It's a shame they did not list the artist and album.... Only the tracks and cover. Seems weird to me.
    The do show the album title and the artist. They are the album cover and artist above the track listing of each album as you scroll down.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Glad to see we made one writer's #2! Thanks!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Glad to see we made one writer's #2! Thanks!
    Congrats!

I just skimmed through these lists, and realized:

I have a LOT of catching up to do this year!

Now, I'm looking for a similar list of the best metal releases. (I'm talking avant garde metal, not just regurgitations and improvements of the same-old-same-old formula.)
    Regards,

Duncan

Interesting set of lists. It was nice to see a little more diversity in the lists than previous years, but they still lack reviewers that cover the avant-prog, jazz fusion, folk, and other proggy vibes including retro, stoner, and European symph. In the end, I prefer the lists I see on PE.

And, while I'm sure this will offend someone, if it's 2018 and your top 10 contains SB, Stolt, Arena, and Galahad, you need to get out more.

For contrast, here is the current top 10 (minimum 5 rates) on Gnosis (which of course could be criticized for being too far in the 'other' direction):

1. All Traps on Earth - A Drop of Light
    2. VAK - Budo
    3. Angel Ontalva / Vespero - Carta Marina
    4. Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Awase
    5. Koenji Hyakkei - Dhorimviskha
    6. Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur
    7. Bubu - El Eco Del Sol
    8. Aquaserge - Deja Vous!
    9. Ring Van Möbius - Past the Evening Sun
    10. Troot - Constance and the Waiting

If anything, it goes to show there's still an immense amount of music out there of interest to the "prog" world in 2018. We can eventually do some sort of "official" poll on PE as well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Interesting set of lists. It was nice to see a little more diversity in the lists than previous years, but they still lack reviewers that cover the avant-prog, jazz fusion, folk, and other proggy vibes including retro, stoner, and European symph.

And, while I'm sure this will offend someone, if it's 2018 and your top 10 contains SB, Stolt, Arena, and Galahad, you need to get out more.

For contrast, here is the current top 10 (minimum 5 rates) on Gnosis (which of course could be criticized for being too far in the 'other' direction
    Well if that's what they lack, then what on Earth do they even have to begin with?

As far as Gnosis are concerned, their advantage or positive excuse is the prerogative of broader stylistic insights which may "authorize" an overriding perspective on relativity. I suppose. Whereas with the DPRP list one is rather tempted to ask "Good/best - as opposed to what?"
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have no problem seeing Stolt, SB, etc. on these lists. What's wrong with good music? Sorry they use standard instruments playing tonal rock music. Boring!!!

My takeaway was this: damn they love Kingcrow.

Not one mention of my #1 for 2018 though...
    The Prog Corner

Well, Stolt will be in my top 10 anytime he releases anything, and I get out plenty. The truth is, I haven't really sought out much in the way of prog rock in the past year, so all I've picked up is familiar names for the most part. I honestly don't know if I've bought 10 2018 releases. Also, I've listened to mostly Zappa the past year, so I guess that makes me even more "retro".......

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I have no problem seeing Stolt, SB, etc. on these lists. What's wrong with good music? Sorry they use standard instruments playing tonal rock music. Boring!!!
    That's quite an analysis. Until now I never knew how that Gnosis list was all about artists playing atonal rock music without the use of standard instruments.

Or perhaps the main point was already (attemptively) expressed? That it had something remotely to do with the logical expectancy that a bunch of assumed writers on "progressive rock" would somehow reflect the immense width contained therein?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    DPRP has always been known as having a focus on neo-prog, symphonic prog, melodic metal, etc. Complaining about them focusing on that is like complaining that the Hallmark Channel doesn't show enough Lars von Trier movies. Just my two cents.

And if you don't know what the Hallmark Channel is, consider yourself lucky!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very few of my favorites have made these lists unsurprisingly, I do see Gryphon, Sonar, Jean Michel Jarre, and that's it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It looks like certain Prog sites have their biases just like newspapers and magazines do with politics etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    DPRP has always been known as having a focus on neo-prog, symphonic prog, melodic metal, etc. Complaining about them focusing on that is like complaining that the Hallmark Channel doesn't show enough Lars von Trier movies. Just my two cents.

And if you don't know what the Hallmark Channel is, consider yourself lucky!
    Nobody is complaining that I see. Someone sees fit to post a list(s) here, and it’s being discussed. I think this kind of comment is more applicable to the reaction anytime a list from Rolling Stone is posted here or any RRHOF thread posted here ever.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Well,that didn’t take long lol. FWIW, I’ve been a TFK and SB longer than the majority of people on PE. My number 1 album for 2018 is currently Muse’s Simulation Theory (take THAT neo-prog snobs!). So I hope that gives me the proper “tonal” cred to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Now, I'm looking for a similar list of the best metal releases. (
    This Heavy prog and progressive metal list from DPRP probably wont satisfy your quest for avant garde metal , but might be of some interest

http://weekendprog.blogspot.com/2018...ive-metal.html
    Last edited by prestonplatform; 12-14-2018 at 11:36 AM.

I love Tonal Cred, although to be fair I miss the Grip Tulker fronted line up. He had such an absurd voice.

Interesting set of lists. It was nice to see a little more diversity in the lists than previous years, but they still lack reviewers that cover the avant-prog, jazz fusion, folk, and other proggy vibes including retro, stoner, and European symph. .
    I think DPRP has broadened its outlook over the years, but I agree that it would be good to see more variation in the best of lists.

A trawl through what the site offered in 2018 sees many jazz fusion albums and albums by artists reviewed that sit outside narrow neo prog and symphonic prog descriptions .

These include amongst others ... The End, Vespero, Dwiki Dharmawan, Alco Frisbass, The Regal Worm, Njet Njet 9, Peter Schwalm, Homunculus Res, Juha Kujanpää, Islaja, and LEF

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nobody is complaining that I see. Someone sees fit to post a list(s) here, and it’s being discussed. I think this kind of comment is more applicable to the reaction anytime a list from Rolling Stone is posted here or any RRHOF thread posted here ever.
    Fair enough. Maybe "complaining" wasn't the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    This Heavy prog and progressive metal list from DPRP probably wont satisfy your quest for avant garde metal , but might be of some interest

hhttp://weekendprog.blogspot.com/2018/11/top-20-heavy-prog-and-progressive-metal.html?fbclid=IwAR0tvo-_Z-ndjliNUhxHsMPlCZjbGvo0dyhs4kEVfEMl50fu3l8t0UURu_I

(This seems to be the link: http://weekendprog.blogspot.com/2018...ive-metal.html )
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Thanks will edit my post

For contrast, here is the current top 10 (minimum 5 rates) on Gnosis (which of course could be criticized for being too far in the 'other' direction):
    What direction? The dangerous direction of quality music?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very few of my favorites have made these lists unsurprisingly, I do see Gryphon, Sonar, Jean Michel Jarre, and that's it.
    So, did you like Gryphon? Was it whimsy the way you like it to be whimsy?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So, did you like Gryphon? Was it whimsy the way you like it to be whimsy?
    It's not a bad album and very impressive for a band who's been away for so long, I do like some whimsy (Gryphon, Hatfield, etc). Some of the whimsy on this strayed into cloying, particularly a couple of tracks. So I'd say the results were good in parts, somewhat like the curates egg.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.