Thread: The Winstons and edsmc--An cantebury version of pictures at an exhibiton buy or die!

The Winstons and edsmc--An cantebury version of pictures at an exhibiton buy or die!

Not much info on web ,About these italian outfit other then italian site .
    which i have translated page of reivew.
    You can get the cd off amazon ,which im spinning now .

It is classical,avant prog ,goes cantebury .Omfg this is best cover version I eva heard this album period.
    My ears are in heaven atm ,Buy or die people buy or die.

The Winstons and edsmc 2018

https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search

This release is such an unexpected, or even inexplicable move that immediately gets my full support. Here we have a band that made some stir with an excellent debut that was on the lighter, more "pop" side of Canterbury progressive rock, a progressive band that could possibly break into a wider rock audience. And what is its next step? A take on Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, or rather a take on ELP's take on Mussorgsky. Because this is what it is about. This is more a cover of ELP's version than a cover of Mussorgsky's work.

And already ELP's Pictures...is perhaps the most debatable moment in the history of Prog. I mean, an opponent of the genre could easily use this specific record to trounce all of the Prog. Every little argument against Prog can be easily applied on ELP's Pictures. But no, these crazy Italians will not be deterred, they will bridge the gap between classical music and progressive rock and bring it into the 21st century.

So what's new on Winston's version? Not much really, in terms of arranging violin and vibraphone is used, and the vibes in particular sound great. But it's the overall playful atmosphere that wins the day. There is an element of well intended kitsch in Winstons endeavour, at least that's my interpretation of it, from heavily pronouncing the "R"'s in Lead me from Tortured Dreams, to turning The Great Gates of Kiev into a beautiful ecclesiastical pop anthem. The lads are surely having a great time playing this, and it shows.

A very interesting, surprising, daring piece of post-modern re-evaluation of 70's Prog by the Winstons. I expect more from them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So what's new on Winston's version? Not much really, in terms of arranging violin and vibraphone is used, and the vibes in particular sound great.
    Much more than that. The Winstons have adapted the entire suite--14 tracks--while ELP just took the first couple of sections and the last couple of sections, and omitted the movements in between.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

A take on Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, or rather a take on ELP's take on Mussorgsky. Because this is what it is about. This is more a cover of ELP's version than a cover of Mussorgsky's work.
    Yea and nay. There are several pieces of Mussorgsky's piece on here that ELP never performed (that I am aware of).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Much more than that. The Winstons have adapted the entire suite--14 tracks--while ELP just took the first couple of sections and the last couple of sections, and omitted the movements in between.
    Correct sir! ELP played only the greatest hits, Baba-Yagas etc

But my remark was referring to the stylistic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yea and nay. There are several pieces of Mussorgsky's piece on here that ELP never performed (that I am aware of).
    True. But the fact that they play the pieces that ELP arranged as songs with lyrics makes my argument rather valid I think. Let's just say that they have listened to ELP's version

Yeah, listening now.....some parts possess a very nice interpretation, others, not so much. The violin is hit & miss for me....LOVE the vibes!!!

(I wish Prog bands in general used vibes and marimba more often)

When I have the time, I will explore their other albums.....
    G.A.S -aholic

True. But the fact that they play the pieces that ELP arranged as songs with lyrics makes my argument rather valid I think. Let's just say that they have listened to ELP's version
    I'm not sure why, but I find it somehow weird that they use the ELP lyrics.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I find it somehow weird that they use the ELP lyrics.
    It's not just weird, it's totally insane! But I think that's the whole point: we're not going to play cool and give our own version of Mussorgsky's masterpiece, we're going to use ELP's version as a stepping stone to deliver Mussorgsky into the 21st century, as a highly relevant piece of music despite excessive interpretations.

Those Winstonian Great Gates of Kiev make this clear. This is music that one can re-invent, and re-play, and re-joice (sorry for the pun) ad infinitum.

Somehow it will be very difficult for me to revisit ELP's version, after this one...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS