Thread: Be Bop Deluxe Sunburst Finish new box set.

Be Bop Deluxe Sunburst Finish new box set.

The wonders of modern technology...I did not even know this existed until today when I read about it in a music mag, so I ordered it from Amazon and got it about an hour ago.

Its probably my favorite Be Bop Deluxe album...and its a superb package. everything about it from the beautifully designed animated menus on the cd's, to the detail of the reprinted 70's magazine articles on the 65 page booklet, to the original adverts for Rotosound strings...and somewhat amusingly an advert for the 8 track cartridge of the album which splits Sleep That Burns over two sides...

The main draw for me here is the 5.1 mix, and this is a good one. Its understated rather than flashy, not too much panning and separation, it just emphasizes whats already there and distributes the sound evenly, and yet you hear stuff more clearly than you did before,and the odd little detail that you may not have heard before. But yet not to the point where it becomes distracting.

And on the 5.1 CD even the animated menu of the album cover is impressive, showing that whoever put this package together was prepared to go that extra mile.

Loving this package so far, and I still have the live CD, extra tracks and the 2018 new stereo mix to listen to, plus a ton of stuff to read in the booklet. In the UK it cost me just over 50 pounds, and for what you get I think its well worth it, as opposed to the vastly overpriced recent Chris Squire and Rush box sets, which wanted you to fork out over 100 quid to get the 5.1 mix.

I always loved this band...they were considered part of the 'art rock' (hate that term) movement of the 70's along with 10cc I guess, but they had some very interesting stuff going on. I think Blazing Apostles has some of the coolest lyrics ever written. Crying To The Sky is just guitar heaven...Bill Nelson was a guitar god as far as I was concerned. Got the opportunity to see him live about 10 years back, where he did solo stuff but a set of old Be Bop Deluxe stuff as well.

Technical details below...

Esoteric Recordings is proud to announce the release of a new re-mastered four disc deluxe expanded boxed set limited edition (comprising 3 CDs and a DVD -NTSC Region 0) of SUNBURST FINISH the legendary 1976 album by BE-BOP DELUXE. Recorded in the Autumn of 1975 at Abbey Road studios (with some sessions also taking place at AIR studios in London), SUNBURST FINISH was the third album by Be Bop Deluxe and the first to feature the line-up of BILL NELSON (vocals, guitars, keyboards), CHARLIE TUMAHAI (bass, vocals), ANDY CLARK (keyboards) and SIMON FOX (drums). It was also the first Be-Bop album to be co-produced by BILL NELSON and JOHN LECKIE. An album of immense musical inventiveness and creativity, SUNBURST FINISH was one of the finest albums of it's era, a perfect cohesion of ten classic songs written by Bill Nelson (featuring his highly imaginative guitar playing) and a stylised and striking artwork package. Featuring such classic material as 'Heavenly Homes', 'Crying to the Sky', 'Sleep that Burns', 'Life in the Air Age', 'Crystal Gazing' and 'Blazing Apostles', the album also spawned the hit single 'Ships in the Night' and launched Be-Bop Deluxe as one of the major breakthrough acts of 1976. This expanded reissue has been newly re-mastered from the original master tapes and features an additional 39 bonus tracks drawn from a stunning new 5. 1 surround sound & stereo mixes from the original multi-track tapes by award winning engineer Stephen W. Tayler, previously unreleased out-takes from the album sessions, a BBC Radio "In Concert" performance from January 1976, a rare John Peel Show session from February 1976 (unavailable on CD for over twenty years), along with an unissued and previously unreleased 1976 Harvest Records promotional video for Ships in the Night and a session for BBC TV's "Old Grey Whistle Test" show from January 1976. Another highlight of this limited edition boxed set is the lavishly illustrated 68-page book with many previously unseen photographs and an essay of recollections by Bill Nelson. Additionally, the set includes a facsimile of the 1976 Sunburst Finish tour programme, postcards and a replica poster. This special deluxe limited edition boxed set of Sunburst Finish is a fitting tribute to a fine band, the creative vision of Bill Nelson and a wonderful album.

Disc: 1
    1. Fair Exchange
    2. Heavenly Homes
    3. Ships in the Night
    4. Crying to the Sky
    5. Sleep That Burns
    6. Beauty Secrets
    7. Life in the Air Age
    8. Like an Old Blues
    9. Crystal Gazing
    10. Blazing Apostles
    11. Ships in the Night (A-side Single Version)

Disc: 2
    1. Fair Exchange (New Stereo Mix)
    2. Heavenly Homes (New Stereo Mix)
    3. Ships in the Night (New Stereo Mix)
    4. Crying in the Sky (New Stereo Mix)
    5. Sleep That Burns (New Stereo Mix)
    6. Beauty Secrets (New Stereo Mix)
    7. Life in the Air Age (New Stereo Mix)
    8. Like an Old Blues (New Stereo Mix)
    9. Crystal Gazing (New Stereo Mix)
    10. Blazing Apostles (New Stero Mix)
    11. Ships in the Night (First Version)
    12. Beauty Secrets (First Version)
    13. The Mystery (Demo)
    14. Crystal Gazing (Alternate Vocal Version)
    15. Crying to the Sky (First Version)
    16. Ships in the Night (Alternate Vocal Version)

Disc: 3
    1. Life in the Air Age
    2. Sister Seagull
    3. Ships in the Night
    4. Maid in Heaven
    5. Third Floor Heaven
    6. Blazing Apostles
    7. Crying in the Sky (BBC John Peel Sessions)
    8. Piece of Mine (BBC John Peel Session)
    9. Blazing Apostles (BBC John Peel Session)

Disc: 4
    1. Fair Exchange (5.1 Surround Mix)
    2. Heavenly Homes (5.1 Surround Mix)
    3. Ships in the Night (5.1 Surround Mix)
    4. Crying in the Night (5.1 Surround Mix)
    5. Sleep That Burns (5.1 Surround Mix)
    6. Beauty Secrets (5.1 Surround Mix)
    7. Life in the Air (5.1 Surround Mix)
    8. Like an Old Blues (5.1 Surround Mix)
    9. Crystal Gazing (5.1 Surround Mix)
    10. Blazing Apostles (5.1 Surround Mix)
    11. Ships in the Night (Old Grey Whistle Test)
    12. Fair Exchange (The Old Grey Whistle Test)
    13. Ships in the Night (Un-released Promo Video, 1976 Harvest Records)
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The wonders of modern technology...I did not even know this existed until today when I read about it in a music mag, so I ordered it from Amazon and got it about an hour ago.

Its probably my favorite Be Bop Deluxe album...and its a superb package. everything about it from the beautifully designed animated menus on the cd's, to the detail of the reprinted 70's magazine articles on the 65 page booklet, to the original adverts for Rotosound strings...and somewhat amusingly an advert for the 8 track cartridge of the album which splits Sleep That Burns over two sides...

The main draw for me here is the 5.1 mix, and this is a good one. Its understated rather than flashy, not too much panning and separation, it just emphasizes whats already there and distributes the sound evenly, and yet you hear stuff more clearly than you did before,and the odd little detail that you may not have heard before. But yet not to the point where it becomes distracting.

And on the 5.1 CD even the animated menu of the album cover is impressive, showing that whoever put this package together was prepared to go that extra mile.

Loving this package so far, and I still have the live CD, extra tracks and the 2018 new stereo mix to listen to, plus a ton of stuff to read in the booklet. In the UK it cost me just over 50 pounds, and for what you get I think its well worth it, as opposed to the vastly overpriced recent Chris Squire and Rush box sets, which wanted you to fork out over 100 quid to get the 5.1 mix.

I always loved this band...they were considered part of the 'art rock' (hate that term) movement of the 70's along with 10cc I guess, but they had some very interesting stuff going on. I think Blazing Apostles has some of the coolest lyrics ever written. Crying To The Sky is just guitar heaven...Bill Nelson was a guitar god as far as I was concerned. Got the opportunity to see him live about 10 years back, where he did solo stuff but a set of old Be Bop Deluxe stuff as well.

Technical details below...

Esoteric Recordings is proud to announce the release of a new re-mastered four disc deluxe expanded boxed set limited edition (comprising 3 CDs and a DVD -NTSC Region 0) of SUNBURST FINISH the legendary 1976 album by BE-BOP DELUXE. Recorded in the Autumn of 1975 at Abbey Road studios (with some sessions also taking place at AIR studios in London), SUNBURST FINISH was the third album by Be Bop Deluxe and the first to feature the line-up of BILL NELSON (vocals, guitars, keyboards), CHARLIE TUMAHAI (bass, vocals), ANDY CLARK (keyboards) and SIMON FOX (drums). It was also the first Be-Bop album to be co-produced by BILL NELSON and JOHN LECKIE. An album of immense musical inventiveness and creativity, SUNBURST FINISH was one of the finest albums of it's era, a perfect cohesion of ten classic songs written by Bill Nelson (featuring his highly imaginative guitar playing) and a stylised and striking artwork package. Featuring such classic material as 'Heavenly Homes', 'Crying to the Sky', 'Sleep that Burns', 'Life in the Air Age', 'Crystal Gazing' and 'Blazing Apostles', the album also spawned the hit single 'Ships in the Night' and launched Be-Bop Deluxe as one of the major breakthrough acts of 1976. This expanded reissue has been newly re-mastered from the original master tapes and features an additional 39 bonus tracks drawn from a stunning new 5. 1 surround sound & stereo mixes from the original multi-track tapes by award winning engineer Stephen W. Tayler, previously unreleased out-takes from the album sessions, a BBC Radio "In Concert" performance from January 1976, a rare John Peel Show session from February 1976 (unavailable on CD for over twenty years), along with an unissued and previously unreleased 1976 Harvest Records promotional video for Ships in the Night and a session for BBC TV's "Old Grey Whistle Test" show from January 1976. Another highlight of this limited edition boxed set is the lavishly illustrated 68-page book with many previously unseen photographs and an essay of recollections by Bill Nelson. Additionally, the set includes a facsimile of the 1976 Sunburst Finish tour programme, postcards and a replica poster. This special deluxe limited edition boxed set of Sunburst Finish is a fitting tribute to a fine band, the creative vision of Bill Nelson and a wonderful album.

Disc: 1
    1. Fair Exchange
    2. Heavenly Homes
    3. Ships in the Night
    4. Crying to the Sky
    5. Sleep That Burns
    6. Beauty Secrets
    7. Life in the Air Age
    8. Like an Old Blues
    9. Crystal Gazing
    10. Blazing Apostles
    11. Ships in the Night (A-side Single Version)

Disc: 2
    1. Fair Exchange (New Stereo Mix)
    2. Heavenly Homes (New Stereo Mix)
    3. Ships in the Night (New Stereo Mix)
    4. Crying in the Sky (New Stereo Mix)
    5. Sleep That Burns (New Stereo Mix)
    6. Beauty Secrets (New Stereo Mix)
    7. Life in the Air Age (New Stereo Mix)
    8. Like an Old Blues (New Stereo Mix)
    9. Crystal Gazing (New Stereo Mix)
    10. Blazing Apostles (New Stero Mix)
    11. Ships in the Night (First Version)
    12. Beauty Secrets (First Version)
    13. The Mystery (Demo)
    14. Crystal Gazing (Alternate Vocal Version)
    15. Crying to the Sky (First Version)
    16. Ships in the Night (Alternate Vocal Version)

Disc: 3
    1. Life in the Air Age
    2. Sister Seagull
    3. Ships in the Night
    4. Maid in Heaven
    5. Third Floor Heaven
    6. Blazing Apostles
    7. Crying in the Sky (BBC John Peel Sessions)
    8. Piece of Mine (BBC John Peel Session)
    9. Blazing Apostles (BBC John Peel Session)

Disc: 4
    1. Fair Exchange (5.1 Surround Mix)
    2. Heavenly Homes (5.1 Surround Mix)
    3. Ships in the Night (5.1 Surround Mix)
    4. Crying in the Night (5.1 Surround Mix)
    5. Sleep That Burns (5.1 Surround Mix)
    6. Beauty Secrets (5.1 Surround Mix)
    7. Life in the Air (5.1 Surround Mix)
    8. Like an Old Blues (5.1 Surround Mix)
    9. Crystal Gazing (5.1 Surround Mix)
    10. Blazing Apostles (5.1 Surround Mix)
    11. Ships in the Night (Old Grey Whistle Test)
    12. Fair Exchange (The Old Grey Whistle Test)
    13. Ships in the Night (Un-released Promo Video, 1976 Harvest Records)
    Hi Rogue. Can you confirm that there's a 24 bit 2 channel mix on the DVD? I love this album but don't listen to surround music. Information on whether there's a 2 channel Hi Res mix on the DVD is kind of spotty. Thanks for the info in advance.

There is a new 2 channel stereo mix on that disc, and yes it is 96khz/24 bit.

You know one thing struck me...as iconic and beautiful as the album artwork is, I doubt such a thing would be allowed today.

But then its not the worst example from that era...the Blind Faith and Scorpions Love Drive cover spring to mind.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I made an order for the boxed set yesterday morning, along with some other Esoteric goodies, and look forward to listening to all of it.
    I'm currently listening to BN's new 'Auitoria' release, prepared for sale at last week's probable final public performance.

Love BBD, love the album, but don't have the cash for this. Good to see it getting some love, though....
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I cheaped out and went for the 2 disc remaster and re-mixed CD's, and let me tell you the re-mix is a revelation, who needs Steven Wilson? I know every inch of it and the re-mix is almost a different rekkid, no kidding.

There's a cheaper CD version without all the extras?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Does the remix change any of the sonic choices with the original? I first heard the Live! In The Air Age versions, and some of these are much different sounding, with slower beats and sax solos. The production overall is quite unique in their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    There's a cheaper CD version without all the extras?
    https://www.importcds.com/sunburst-finish/5013929474345

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Does the remix change any of the sonic choices with the original? I first heard the Live! In The Air Age versions, and some of these are much different sounding, with slower beats and sax solos. The production overall is quite unique in their catalog.
    As I said above if you're already familiar with the original it takes about 2 seconds to know that you're listening to a re-mix, I think the changes make it a better sounding presentation overall. Here's to hoping Modern Music gets the same treatment.