Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Saga

SAGA IMPRESSIVE RETURN TO CONCERT STAGE IN QUEBEC CITY

For me, it had been an amazing 35 years since I had last seen Saga so to say this was a long time coming is an understatement. Kicking off the evening with Careful where you step was certainly a great way to make an impact and the acoustics were really excellent at the Sylvian-Lelievre Auditorium (about 300 seats).

Michael Sadler as always is a great master of ceremonies, still has a an incredible vocal range and keeps it very lively jumping from center stage front to the rear behind his keyboard set. No mention about missing Jim Crichton and introduced the "new guy" Dusty Chesterfield on bass and more keyboards. Kudos to Mike Thorne who played awesome drums with an ankle injury but persevered. Ian Crichton played impeccably not missing a note; my only observation, his guitar was too low volume in comparison to the drums and vocals but gradually the sound was balanced out. Jim Gilmour was fantastic but told the audience only sorry to have missed watching the NHL Playoffs jokingly.

Duration 1 Hr 50 minutes
    Merch: New CD & LPs Live at Rock of Ages, guitar picks, black T-shirt and white baseball jersey with classic logo.

SET LIST
    Careful Where You Step
    On the Loose
    How Long
    The 13th Generation
    The Learning Tree
    Will It Be You? (Chapter 4)
    Corkentellis
    On the Air
    Mouse in a Maze
    What's It Gonna Be?
    Mike Thorne Drum Solo
    Take a Chance
    Humble Stance
    Scratching the Surface
    You're Not Alone
    Don't Be Late (Chapter 2)

Encore:
    Tired World (Chapter 6)

*Will post some pics in my next post

Saga playing Chicagoland October 17! When was the last time they played here?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    Saga playing Chicagoland October 17! When was the last time they played here?

all I know is that I would have jumped at the chance to have seen SAGA again from 1984 on. the only time for me was the opening slot of Jethro Tull's Broadsword tour which sold me on them from that day

a complete shame they never had a proper US tour after that initial success

looks like I am going to Rahway NJ when they headline a 'Progstock' night there in October
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    looks like I am going to Rahway NJ when they headline a 'Progstock' night there in October
    Glad to hear it! Come say “hi”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Glad to hear it! Come say “hi”!

will do!

looking forward to asking more questions of this Saga set. I'm presuming it will be a full set/full production?
    2trevorsforlife

Just bought tix for Chicago. I too have only seen them on the Tull tour.

Saga

Saga playing...

There is only one more week to support ProgStock Festival and get ahead of the crowd by purchasing your Prog-Ducer 3-day passes. We have an awesome line-up for 2019!!

Go to http://www.progstock.com/2019/artist.../2019-artists/ to see our fantastic slate of artists!!!

The price of a ProgStock Prog-Ducer Pass is $345 USD. These passes will be available until Tuesday, June 11, 2019...but Prog-Ducer ticket holders will have a head-start on everyone else to choose their favorite seat, so act quickly!

On June 11, the floodgates open and the best seats remaining in the house will go fast!

Do you just want to make sure you get a seat before we sell out? We are currently selling mezzanine seats (except the front row) at the regular 3-day pass price of $195 US.

Go to: http://www.progstock.com/2019/tickets-donations/ for all of your ProgStock ticketing needs!!

Changing the subject slightly, I recently managed to pick up a copy of Ian Crichton's solo album Welcome to the Boom Boom Room. This is pretty rare, so I was lucky to get it at a reasonably sensible price. Anybody here heard it? It's kind of a more straight-ahead rock band project, released in the mid-90s, so it lacks that Saga progressive/synthy element. Not bad though, and with a decent cover of Spirit's 'Mr Skin' to boot. Needless to say, the guitar playing is superlative, as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Changing the subject slightly, I recently managed to pick up a copy of Ian Crichton's solo album Welcome to the Boom Boom Room. This is pretty rare, so I was lucky to get it at a reasonably sensible price. Anybody here heard it? It's kind of a more straight-ahead rock band project, released in the mid-90s, so it lacks that Saga progressive/synthy element. Not bad though, and with a decent cover of Spirit's 'Mr Skin' to boot. Needless to say, the guitar playing is superlative, as ever.
    Yes. It went on the "sell" pile after one spin.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Yes I had this CD many years back. I recall 2 fantastic tracks (or at least 2 that I liked) but sold it after a while.

Can someone explain what Saga did around 1999 to significantly change, and I'd say significantly improve, from the 1986 to 1996 period?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Can someone explain what Saga did around 1999 to significantly change, and I'd say significantly improve, from the 1986 to 1996 period?
    They definitely got their mojo back. Full Circle is one of their best albums, IMO.