Thread: Jason Becker guitarist (USA)

Jason Becker guitarist (USA)

Just fell on the lovely album by Jason Becker called Triumphant Hearts (2018). Was released recently ...

Guitar virtuoso Jason Becker being stricken by motor neurone disease. This guy was very much a talented guitarist offering metal/progressive/classical guitar solo's. He still writes music, but is unable to move and uses computers and musicians to help him with his work. He has the same disease as Steve Hawkins

His new album is worth checking out

I haven't heard any of his recent work. I have the two Cacophony albums, and Perpetual Burn, Jason's first solo album. Those are really the only material of his I know.

In case you've never heard Cacophony, that was the band he and Marty Friedman were in, circa 1987. THey made two albums for Shrapnel Records, with Jason and Marty each doing a solo album at the time, also for Shrapnel. Cacophony broke up because Jason was offered the chance to play with David Lee Roth, in effect, replacing Steve Vai. It was while working on the Roth solo album that Jason started feeling the early symptoms of Lou Gehrig's Disease. I remember Guitar Player running article at the time, which ended that just as they were going to press, he got his diagnosis.

He eventually got where, as the OP said, Jason couldn't play guitar anymore, and was eventually bedridden. Eventually, the disease attacked his respiratory system, so he has to be on a ventilator, which makes him unable to speak. So he communicates using some sort of system where he uses his eyeball movements to point out letters on a chart. This is also how he continues to compose music. He was actually featured on a That Metal Show episode, where his mother basically translated, if you will, for him, speaking his responses to their questions. Amazing person, Jason is!

The documentary film about Jason "Jason Becker : Not Dead Yet" is a good watch if you're interested in Jason's life story. It's a tough watch too ... I can honestly say parts of it brought me to tears.

Agree totally with GuitarGeek above - Jason is an amazing person !

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I haven't heard any of his recent work. I have the two Cacophony albums, and Perpetual Burn, Jason's first solo album. Those are really the only material of his I know.

In case you've never heard Cacophony, that was the band he and Marty Friedman were in, circa 1987. THey made two albums for Shrapnel Records, with Jason and Marty each doing a solo album at the time, also for Shrapnel. Cacophony broke up because Jason was offered the chance to play with David Lee Roth, in effect, replacing Steve Vai. It was while working on the Roth solo album that Jason started feeling the early symptoms of Lou Gehrig's Disease. I remember Guitar Player running article at the time, which ended that just as they were going to press, he got his diagnosis.

He eventually got where, as the OP said, Jason couldn't play guitar anymore, and was eventually bedridden. Eventually, the disease attacked his respiratory system, so he has to be on a ventilator, which makes him unable to speak. So he communicates using some sort of system where he uses his eyeball movements to point out letters on a chart. This is also how he continues to compose music. He was actually featured on a That Metal Show episode, where his mother basically translated, if you will, for him, speaking his responses to their questions. Amazing person, Jason is!
    This new album is amazing and will suite most most fans in all genres of prog.

I believe there are some guitar work done by Jason before he became disabled which was added to the new album... I highly recommend this new album.... I've also picked up a few of his past albums yesterday as I was impressed with what he has written.

Quote Originally Posted by Millie1968 View Post
    The documentary film about Jason "Jason Becker : Not Dead Yet" is a good watch if you're interested in Jason's life story. It's a tough watch too ... I can honestly say parts of it brought me to tears.

I will try and find this documentary, not sure if this is on YouTube?....

Very sad. Jason was a gifted guitarist. I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I salute his indomitable spirit and the fact that he continues to compose music!

I managed to find this documentary film on YouTube

Just watched this documentary and am really inspired by his determination.. Also the new album is brilliant and I highly recommend his new album to any prog fan.

Kiesel Guitars makes a Jason Becker tribute model.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jb200c

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    That's absolutely beautiful.