Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music- Are they truly worthy of being a Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominee?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Only because it's tuned a fifth lower and slightly larger.
    Yeah. Which makes it a different instrument.

Ummm. By that logic, a Strat tuned to Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) is a different instrument from a Les Paul tuned to the standard standard tuning (EADGBF).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummm. By that logic, a Strat tuned to Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) is a different instrument from a Les Paul tuned to the standard standard tuning (EADGBF).
    Now that brings up an interesting question:

Do Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, Django Rheinhardt, Leo Kottke, Derek Bailey, Robert Fripp, Stanley Jordan, Carlos Montoya, and Julian Bream all play the same instrument?

What about Hans Reichel? He built his own guitars that could do things off the shelf guitars couldn't do. So is it still the same instrument?

And how about the Fender 6-string bass, which was a guitar tuned an octave down?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah. Which makes it a different instrument.
    Actually, it does. A viola has a different sound. You can't get a viola sound with a five-string violin or a tuned-down violin.

Actually, I agree that viola and violin are different instruments; I was just making a point about "tuned differently."

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Actually, it does. A viola has a different sound. You can't get a viola sound with a five-string violin or a tuned-down violin.
    Oh, I agree! I was being serious actually.

Actually, I agree that viola and violin are different instruments; I was just making a point about "tuned differently."
    Different, but closely related.

I'm a casual fan but I admit it did seem a bit "early" to have them added only because there seems so many bands that should have gotten in before them.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh, I agree! I was being serious actually.
    I'm sorry, my detector for sarcasm failed me there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I'm a casual fan but I admit it did seem a bit "early" to have them added only because there seems so many bands that should have gotten in before them.
    Who would you induct in front of Roxy Music?! I think they're way overdo for induction. When I think of bands who were inducted "early", I think more of Metallica or Nirvana. I know Nirvana got inducted the first year they were eligible, and I'm not sure, but the same might be true for Metallica. Metallica were inducted in front of a truckload of bands without whom Metallica wouldn't even exist!

And then there's the hamfisted way they handled Deep Purple. Apart from making them wait more than twenty years after they became eligible for induction (and also after the passing of Jon Lord), who they chose to induct was bizarre. They left out Nick Simper, the original bassist, and they also left out Tommy Bolin.

Now, I sort of understand leaving out Tommy, because you can maybe make the case that Come Taste The Band isn't as "culturally significant" (or whatever-the-frell the criteria is) as Shades Of Deep Purple, Machine Head, and Burn. I'm assuming that's the logic there.

But totally dissing Nick Simper by making him the one member of the original lineup (or the subsequent two lineups, for that matter) to not be inducted makes absolutely zero sense at all. Why?! I can see it with some bands where you'd not induct from later lineups (or in the case of Fleetwood Mac, you'd leave out everyone who played guitar in the band between Peter Green's departure and the arrival of Buckingham), but this just seems like a deliberate insult somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I think they should've been inducted at their first year of eligibility and can think of any number of (unworthy, imo) artists who formed after Roxy but who were inducted before them.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm pretty sure The R&R Hall isn't known for it's rational choices of artists or who defined what genre first, but I do agree with their choice of Roxy Music, and agree it should have been a long time ago when they were first eligible. I mean...look how long it took them to put Yes in there. Just glad someone I like finally gets some recognition...that can't be a bad thing for a musician.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I go back to my original reply to the question. Roxy never did anything bad enough to deserve the horrible fate of the R&RHOF.

(No, not even Flesh + Blood.)

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I think they should've been inducted at their first year of eligibility and can think of any number of (unworthy, imo) artists who formed after Roxy but who were inducted before them.
    Well, it's not even that so much as Band A influencing Band B, yet Band B gets inducted first. There's no justifiable reason that Metallica should have gotten inducted before Deep Purple.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well, it's not even that so much as Band A influencing Band B, yet Band B gets inducted first. There's no justifiable reason that Metallica should have gotten inducted before Deep Purple.
    Yeah that ones ridiculous
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I go back to my original reply to the question. Roxy never did anything bad enough to deserve the horrible fate of the R&RHOF.

(No, not even Flesh + Blood.)
    Never understood the hate for that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I certainly don't hate it. Same Old Scene and Eight Miles High are cool. It's better than some of Ferry's early solo work. But by Roxy standards it is kind of weak compared to what came before.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Jon Neudorf
    I think Flesh and Blood is an excellent album. But what do i know?

Jon

It was the first Roxy album I got aged 14 and I played it to death and was obsessed with it. I think I wore the tape out in the end. It allowed me to enter a world where I was no longer a spotty nerd who had no confidence with girls but a suave seducer who knew how to dress and what to say. And on some level I may have believed that if I immersed myself in it thoroughly enough I would become Bryan Ferrry by a process of osmosis.

Didn't work, of course.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I think it's their weakest but that doesn't mean it's a terrible album either. I certainly don't hate it. The three original singles were all strong. The covers let it down somewhat IMHO.

Manifesto is pretty topsy-turvy as well (some weak stuff on the second side) but I think the highs are higher, so to speak. The eerie title track is particularly strong.

Avalon is the most consistent of the three comeback albums IMHO.

Well, it's not even that so much as Band A influencing Band B, yet Band B gets inducted first.
    Cheap Trick didn't just get in before The Move; the latter isn't in at all.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^Similarly I found it silly that Rush got in before bands like Yes and Deep Purple- a strange quirk Geddy Lee did himself acknowledge.

The Move were a big influence on what became 'power pop'...certainly on the likes of Todd Rundgren and as you say Cheap Trick. There is also the glaringly obvious line from The Move to ELO- but the latter are also in.

I often think that when bands are inducted that solo careers/other projects should be seen as part of that induction (especially as they pick and choose which individual members go in! See Anthony Phillips' exclusion etc.). I find inclusions like Stevie Nicks this year a bit of a waste in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I often think that when bands are inducted that solo careers/other projects should be seen as part of that induction (especially as they pick and choose which individual members go in! See Anthony Phillips' exclusion etc.). I find inclusions like Stevie Nicks this year a bit of a waste in that regard.
    See, that's another thing I don't get. Why are we inducting Stevie Nicks as a solo artist?! Because she had a couple hit singles (ok, a few hit singles) back in the 80's, and somebody sampled the one about the white winged dove on about 10 or 15 years ago?

Likewise, why are they inducting Janet Jackson?! The only reason she even had a singing career was because of her older brothers; success! Are we gonna induct LaToya and Reebie, also?

Did we need to induct all four Beatles as solo artists, too? Paul and John, I can maybe see, George kinda sorta, but Ringo?!

And it's weird to me that you would induct Eric Clapton as a member of The Yardbirds, a member of Cream, and as a solo artist, but not induct Derek And The Dominoes. The Yardbirds and Cream make sense, but why was he inducted as a solo artist? Because he recorded a Bob Marley song before it was hip to do so?

If you ask me, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs was the best thing Clapton did after Cream broke up. If anything he did post-68 deserves recognition, it's the album and that band, not the solo records? If Eric is in as a solo artist, than surely Derek And The Dominoes should be in too.

As for Anthony Phillips, I hadn't realized he wasn't inducted with Genesis, but that's a shame, as he was one of the main architects of the Gabriel era sound. If you're recognizing stuff like Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound, then you surely should also recognize Trespass, if not From Genesis To Revelation.

Who would you induct in front of Roxy Music?! I think they're way overdo for induction. When I think of bands who were inducted "early", I think more of Metallica or Nirvana. I know Nirvana got inducted the first year they were eligible, and I'm not sure, but the same might be true for Metallica. Metallica were inducted in front of a truckload of bands without whom Metallica wouldn't even exist!

And then there's the hamfisted way they handled Deep Purple. Apart from making them wait more than twenty years after they became eligible for induction (and also after the passing of Jon Lord), who they chose to induct was bizarre. They left out Nick Simper, the original bassist, and they also left out Tommy Bolin.

Now, I sort of understand leaving out Tommy, because you can maybe make the case that Come Taste The Band isn't as "culturally significant" (or whatever-the-frell the criteria is) as Shades Of Deep Purple, Machine Head, and Burn. I'm assuming that's the logic there.

But totally dissing Nick Simper by making him the one member of the original lineup (or the subsequent two lineups, for that matter) to not be inducted makes absolutely zero sense at all. Why?! I can see it with some bands where you'd not induct from later lineups (or in the case of Fleetwood Mac, you'd leave out everyone who played guitar in the band between Peter Green's departure and the arrival of Buckingham), but this just seems like a deliberate insult somehow.
    I hear you. I basically meant the prog bands we're still waiting for who personally I like more like Tull, ELP, etc.