Thread: RIP Hawaiian Slack Key guitar master Cyril Pahinui

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Hawaiian Slack Key guitar master Cyril Pahinui

Cyril Pahinui, son of Hawaii's most famous musician Gabby Pahinui, died on November 17, 2018, at age 68. In his life he made several solo albums, one of which, 6 & 12 String Slack Key, I own and recommend to lovers of acoustic guitar. He also played with his brothers James and Martin in the short-lived group, The Pahinui Brothers (I saw them, as well as Cyril, solo, in concert once), as well as in his father's band. Hawaii, and the world, has lost a great musician. Cyril played guitar, steel guitar, and ukulele, wrote songs, and sang, and promoted Hawaiian language and culture. Aloha 'Oe.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP to him, and thanks for the reccomendation. Listening to it now and it's very enoyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXT...u9ImnREcOAAKj8

Wow, the Wikipedia entry on Slack-Key Guitar is unsurprisingly fascinating!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack-key_guitar

I'm truly loving this album. He's like the Hawaiian Roy Harper. Just beautiful.

If you are interested in more Hawaiian slack key guitar wizardry, I also recommend Ledward Kaapana (mentioned in the wikipedia slack key guitar article), as close as Hawaii has to a Jimi Hendrix. I have seen him play and he is nothing short of amazing. This is not to malign any of the other many great slack key players (guitarists who can impress Chet Atkins and Ry Cooder are not trivial pickers). I have heard most of them and they are all good. Cyril and Led are good artists to start with.

Banned
    RIP. Beautiful stuff and thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    If you are interested in more Hawaiian slack key guitar wizardry, I also recommend Ledward Kaapana (mentioned in the wikipedia slack key guitar article), as close as Hawaii has to a Jimi Hendrix. I have seen him play and he is nothing short of amazing. This is not to malign any of the other many great slack key players (guitarists who can impress Chet Atkins and Ry Cooder are not trivial pickers). I have heard most of them and they are all good. Cyril and Led are good artists to start with.
    also Keola Beamer ..I think all those guys at 1 time came to Minneapolis for the Hawaian Slack Key Guitar festivals in the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Now I'm listening to a Ledward Kaapana album - I love this music! It's really a sort of feel-good music, strangely similar, IMO, to Ragtime. Complex and obviously difficult to play, yet so musically RIGHT.

BTW, his cover of Killing Me Softly is stunning. Somehow it keeps the meter of the original song so closely, yet sounds so different. I happen to love that song (it was one of my mother's favorites), and this is a great version of it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-04-2018 at 10:00 PM.

You owe it to yourself to listen to the recordings featuring Led Kaapana and Bob Brozeman.
    Lovely!!!

Good call. I have two: "Kika Kila Meets Ki Hoalu" and "In The Saddle."

There is something really magical when situations like this occur (a new type of instrument being brought into an existing culture and then being left for artists to come up with new approaches). Similar things have happened in many other cultures/times. The introduction of western string instruments (e.g violin) into India is a good example. Watching an Indian musician like L. Shankar shows the wonders that can result.

Hawaiian music is enchanting. There are so many styles and artists and various cross-pollinations.
    That is why I love the Brozeman/Kaapana stuff so much. Both guys pull the best out of the other.

^another one is Debashish Bhattacharya and his bringing slide-guitar into East Indian classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    ^another one is Debashish Bhattacharya and his bringing slide-guitar into East Indian classical music.
    Great example.
    Great music.