Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Offensively Stupid Prog Rock Title Ever

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Nice try though.
    No.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    If we are expanding our boundaries a bit, then Type O Negative's first rekkid certainly has titles that may push offensive buttons. Such as the track 1 suite:

Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity:
    I. Anorganic Transmutogenesis (Synthetic Division)
    II. Coitus Interruptus
    III. I Know You're Fucking Someone Else
    Type O was a damn good band!

The eons are closing
    Agreed. Though album 1 is awful really.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Perhaps not study per se, but the knowledge of God. Which is what the word "science" actually means (from the Latin scire, to know). I like the German Wissenschaft better, again from a root meaning "to know," and recalling Nietzshe's (by way of Mahler) Fröhliche Wissenschaft, The Joyful Science.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Then there's the original title of Utopia's "Mr. Triscuits": "The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus".
    All of the titles on Roger’s Cosmic Furnace are equally absurdly pompous. “Queene Enfineska: Serenity of the Lion in Summer,” “Hermetic Enigma: The Fixed Volatile (The Answer Is but Another Riddle)” and “Tensegrity: A Dymaxion Triptych” are examples.

The titles of Cultural Noise and their sister “band,” Bizarre Ko.Ko.Ko, are all immediately recognizable pretentious, incomprehensible word salad. “Pursuing the In Time Disintegrating Reality,” “Retracting the Reflected Consciousness of All Having Come to Into Being,” usw.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Borderline prog: Stevie Wonder's Fullfillingness' First Finale. What the hell does that mean? It doesn't even make sense.
    It was supposed to be the first album of a 2 or 3 part series. Fulfillingness was the final album of Stevie's then contract with Motown, hence the "fulfilling" and the "finale"... but yeah, never liked that album title even though it's a very solid album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

as far as TRSOG... to me it comes across as 'the things science reveal are but a drop of water in an ocean compared to the knowledge that God possesses and as humans, if we live 5 billion more years we can never attain that level of knowledge. That is how amazingly complex and vast the created universe is'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

At least some prog artist seem to be parodying stupid pretension. A lot of Zappa titles fall into this category. Utopia's "Singring and the Glass Guitar (An Electrified Fairytale)" would fall under this category as well.

Then there's my beast of a title:

https://tonyandthetonechasers.bandca...e-conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    At least some prog artist seem to be parodying stupid pretension.
    As in Ray Manzarek's "Oh Thou Precious Nectar Filled Form (or) A Little Fart."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Thing is though, when the apparently offending title was released, I had never heard the term 'prog rock'. Maybe others had back in the mid 70s.

So does the offending title even qualify for this thread. Progressive rock was what it was all about back then, not 'prog rock'.

Shout out for Godspeed You! Black Emperor (formerly Godspeed You Black Emperor!), with album titles like Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada and F♯ A♯ ∞. Or, expanding to some of their spin-offs, there's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms..., including the track "Lonely as the Sound of Lying on the Ground of an Airplane Going Down" (a great track).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't find any of the titles mentioned offensive. Pretentious or silly, maybe. Offensive? Not to me. Other people may have varying snowflake levels. I am a scientist. I know that it is impossible to prove the existence of God (or another deity of your choice). It is also impossible to disprove the existence of God. I don't have a problem with that. Religion is there, if one wants or needs it, and I am not one to deny my fellow humans the comfort of faith. It is, however, easy to disprove the ideas that man makes in the name of religion or God. For example, it is easy to prove that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, and not 4,000 years old. It is easy to prove that humans did not coexist with dinosaurs. It is easy to prove that the Earth is not flat, nor is it the center of the universe (Dave Brock is). It is easy to prove that all the people of the Earth are of the same species, regardless of race, color, belief or nationality. Of course, you can't prove anything to people who refuse to listen or learn, and we scientists do share the planet with some who are willfully ignorant. And yes, it is possible for science and religion to coexist, though some may choose to believe otherwise. If God gave us brains, surely He wanted us to use our brains to learn about the world and the universe in which we live, else why grant us intelligence? If we are intelligent without divine intervention, we still have brains. Since we have brains, we have science, regardless of whom, or whether, we choose to worship.
    Well said! Thank you!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Try this for size: Red Sparowes "Oh Lord, God of Vengeance, Show Yourself!", featuring tracks such as "The Great Leap Forward Poured Down Upon Us One Day Like a Mighty Storm Suddenly and Furiously Blinding Our Senses" or "Finally as That Blazing Sun Shone Down Upon Us Did We Know That True Enemy Was the Voice of Blind Idolatry; and Only Then Did We Begin to Think for Ourselves".

Thank the deity of your choice for CDDB databases that save having to type all that in when you're ripping CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Shout out for Godspeed You! Black Emperor (formerly Godspeed You Black Emperor!), with album titles like Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada and F♯ A♯ ∞. Or, expanding to some of their spin-offs, there's He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms..., including the track "Lonely as the Sound of Lying on the Ground of an Airplane Going Down" (a great track).

Henry
    Toby Driver: “Hold my drink”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Toby Driver: “Hold my drink”.
    OMG, I mean, with Tody D. even his very name is profoundly provocative and preposterously pretentious. Me myself I can hardly sit still at all when I hear that name of his, especially when pondering his music along with it. He surely could have learnt a thing or three from Jon, Keiji Haino and those saucers in GY!BE.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ I couldn’t help myself with that quip, particularly knowing it would only have relevance to a handful of people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    as far as TRSOG... to me it comes across as 'the things science reveal are but a drop of water in an ocean compared to the knowledge that God possesses and as humans, if we live 5 billion more years we can never attain that level of knowledge. That is how amazingly complex and vast the created universe is'
    That was my take as well!

How about some of the song titles by The Mars Volta? Like:

"Intertiatic ESP"
    "This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed"
    "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore"
    "Meccamputechture"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    'I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth' by Frank Zappa - perhaps not very pretentious...
    Don't Eat The Yellow Snow is also a contender

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Any album or song title by Arjen Lucassen (except Stream Of Passion).
    Yup, king of offensive prog stuff

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    A beautiful piano composition, but "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap just doesn't fit the ambiance. In D minor. A very sad key.

That was my first thought

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    It's Prog, people. Keep it silly.
    Isn'tthat what Canterbury is mostly about??

Silly =/= offensive, though

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    In before the close!
    for those old/ancient enough:
    Just in case it goes to PM land.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    lmao.gifrotflmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Has 'Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' been mentioned yet? Back in the days when people had a sense of humour...nowadays everyone wants to take offense at everything.

Can't believe there's hasn't been a mention of the full title of Fiona Apple's sophomore album, When the Pawn.... As it broke the previous record for longest title, that's pretty freakin' pretentious.

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That was my take as well!

Outside the realm of English: Io non so da dove vengo e non so dove mai andrò. Uomo è il nome che mi han dato. (I don’t know where I came from and I don’t know where I am going. “Man” is the name they have given me.) by De De Lind.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

If we Bungled in the Jungle, what would we be doing and would it be alright?
    The older I get, the better I was.