Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New October Equus

New October Equus

Not content with bringing us the studio and live album collaborations with Vespero and another very good CD with Priot Duo this year, Angel Ontalva has posted a new track from October Equus - sounding a little more chamber rock this time out with flute, bassoon and cello supplementing the standard rock quartet.

https://soundcloud.com/angelontalva/...in-descifrar-1

From Angel's email:

Dear friends,
    We are finally starting the definitive mix of a new October Equus album, after my friend and brother in arms Piotr Talalay did a fantastic job recording the drums at the Vespero's studio in Astrakhan (with the inestimable help of Alex Klabukov their keyboard player who was our sound technician for the recording). This is one of the compositions that I wrote for this album, that we started to record in 2012, right after the release of our album Saturnal and before we started to work on our 2013 album Permafrost.
    I wrote the skeleton of this composition 20 years ago, inspired by reading Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. I re-arranged the whole piece for this album in 2012, adding some sections and the dense chamber instrumentation.
    Besides Piotr on drums, the group that recorded this album are Yolanda Alba Rodriguez on flute, John P. Falcone on bassoon, Pablo Ortega on cello, Amanda Pazos Cosse on bass, Víctor Rodríguez on keyboards and myself playing some guitar too. I did this rough mix too.
    Thanks for listening, hope you like it!
    Ángel Ontalva
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Four hours in after posting - and yet no one's responded already?! Imkredipel.

I haven't been listening to them since Saturnal, but truth be told that's an awesome piece of work by a criminally undercommunicated band with what amounts to one of the most beautiful names in all of modern progressive rock. If there'd actually been any such ridiculous thing as an integral current "prog scene", artists like this one would have ruled the field. Which ironically only goes to show how that "scene" is an illusion.

I'll have to check it out. I'm amazed by the sheer fact that musicians like this even bother to continue doing what they're up to.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks for THIS!

Seems to be touching all the right musical interests with me this morning. On my list it goes!

Carry On

Chris Buckley

I've only heard their first album, but I liked it a lot! Glad to see that they're still making music.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like Saturnal a lot, I've had less connection with the later material, and their RIO performance seemed a little sterile to me. This sounds like its back in my wheelhouse, I'll check it out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like Saturnal a lot, I've had less connection with the later material, and their RIO performance seemed a little sterile to me. This sounds like its back in my wheelhouse, I'll check it out.
    I like everything they did but Saturnal remains my favourite.

Love the sound of the new track!

Cool. I always liked this band, though I admit to enjoying their more "psychedelic take on Present" early albums verse the more "rehearsal intensive" Saturnal. I've fallen a bit behind with them though I thought Permafrost was excellent. And I'm anxious to hear the collab with Vespero, which should happen soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I haven't been listening to them since Saturnal, but truth be told that's an awesome piece of work by a criminally undercommunicated band with what amounts to one of the most beautiful names in all of modern progressive rock. If there'd actually been any such ridiculous thing as an integral current "prog scene", artists like this one would have ruled the field. Which ironically only goes to show how that "scene" is an illusion.

I'll have to check it out. I'm amazed by the sheer fact that musicians like this even bother to continue doing what they're up to.
    Yeah, it is quite sad the way a shining talent like Ontalva is left to quietly plough his own furrow, putting out between one and three excellent albums every year, noticed by almost nobody it seems.

Permafrost and Live at RIO Festival 2014 are both really worth catching up with, as is Isla Purgatorio by the stripped-back October Equus Quartet lineup.

Bandcamp Profile

We live a more domestic life during the weekends!

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Cool. I always liked this band, though I admit to enjoying their more "psychedelic take on Present" early albums verse the more "rehearsal intensive" Saturnal. I've fallen a bit behind with them though I thought Permafrost was excellent. And I'm anxious to hear the collab with Vespero, which should happen soon enough.
    I have to say that the Ontalva/Vespero collaboration is great, despite the fact that I haven't managed yet to connect with Vespero's music. Angel is the real thing.

In the meantime . . .Angel Ontalva posts yet another collaboration Ángel Ontalva VS. Priot Duo (Natasha Blinova/Piotr Talalay) called Blue Stone Waves.
    https://octoberxart.bandcamp.com/alb...al-cd-digipack
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I like everything they did but Saturnal remains my favourite.
    ditto for me.

Looking forward to this one.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Angel Ontalva was selling the artwork for the new October Equus record. Guess who was the lucky bastard that was able to buy it from him.

But the question remains as to whether they're normal or abnormal prog. Those are the splendid new guidelines, also in here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

But the question remains as to whether they're normal or abnormal prog. Those are the splendid new guidelines, also in here.
    Its normal prog for abnormal people. Or the other way around. Works too.

Angel Ontalva was selling the artwork for the new October Equus record. Guess who was the lucky bastard that was able to buy it from him.
    Extra super cool!

Superb!

Bandcamp Profile

It's sicko prog for musical perverts only.

Bandcamp Profile

I'm more impressed by the Sea Nymphs t-shirt.

The album is out:

https://octoberxart.bandcamp.com/alb...os-official-cd

Get 'em while they're hot!

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    The album is out:

Niiiiiiice!

The album is out:

I pulled the trigger without a thought

The album is out:

It's extremely good, I thought. Maybe Angel's best.
    For those in the USA who want physical, we will have them very soon.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's extremely good, I thought. Maybe Angel's best.
    For those in the USA who want physical, we will have them very soon.
    Right on.

For fans of Zappa, Henry Cow, Univers Zero: buy with eyes closed and ears open. The album is simply amazing.