Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New October Equus

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh this is monstrously good, easily top 5 on the year & probably their best album.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Absolutely stunning album. So many textures, layers and moods. This will keep me engaged for many many spins.

Incredibly good.

I'll have to get this, then.

I want physical.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I listened to the 2 tracks on Bandcamp, and they sounded pretty disjointed and didn't do much for me. However, there's a lot of praise here for it, including from people whose taste I respect, so I'll have to give the whole album a listen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's extremely good, I thought. Maybe Angel's best.
    For those in the USA who want physical, we will have them very soon.
    It's taken me until now to listen to it properly (I waited for my CD) but I agree. I think I have everything Angel has released physically inside and outside of OE, and there's nothing less than very good, but I think this is outstanding. It will be among my personal album of the year contenders.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm more impressed by the Sea Nymphs t-shirt.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Finally ... great album!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I'll guess I'll have to check into this further. I have a couple of earlier October Equus albums, and like them well enough. Listening to the two bandcamp samples that are up, it doesn't really sound like any step up, or anything particularly needing an order, BUT...so many people here are calling it their best album. Would any of you say, that the rest of the album, is more enticing than those two songs up on bandcamp?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'll guess I'll have to check into this further. I have a couple of earlier October Equus albums, and like them well enough. Listening to the two bandcamp samples that are up, it doesn't really sound like any step up, or anything particularly needing an order, BUT...so many people here are calling it their best album. Would any of you say, that the rest of the album, is more enticing than those two songs up on bandcamp?

neil
    For whats it worth: I like that first track but I do think the album gets better and better as it progresses.

Listening to Saturnal right now, and it's even better than I recalled. A totally convincing meeting of the hyperstructured and the abstract. They succeed in breaking away from the pitfall of any "RIO stereotype" as well, expressing a work which is significantly founded in narrow tradition yet somehow forces through its very own voice.

Someone in here called them a "psychedelic Present", but I think that nomen belongs to someone like the High Fidelity Orchestra (from Mexico) or that stupendous bunch of turks in Nekropsi. Rather I keep thinking of the sensation it would have been for a band like KCrims to attempt something like this during the 80s; obviously, Les Quatre Guitaristes d'Apocalypso Bar already covered that hypothesis, and they didn't get superstars either.

We should all stick to the sympho. Ends meet, feet fleet, free sheets and needs seed.

And... And big tits!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Angel Ontalva just put a name-your-price compilation album of October Equus online
    https://octoberxart.bandcamp.com/alb...tion-2004-2019

A great introduction if you do not know the band already.