Thread: Progday 2000 ~ Mary Newsletter

Progday 2000 ~ Mary Newsletter

Good Evening -

Pulled out Distratto dal sole (Distracted by the Sun) for a listen this evening. The band, Mary Newsletter, certainly caught my attention on the ProgDay stage back in the year 2000. Reminding myself of the talent that year by looking at the ProgDay websight… What a year it was! AND, discussed here at PE, rather weather uncomfortable that 'held later than normal' year.

This Evening, and interesting how the years can change perspective, I enjoyed the listen tremendously. Mellow Records release late 90's, fine recording... (just give me a crisper bass sound), a concoction of earlier PFloyd, Italian Folk music/influence, excellent guitar work and vocals. As one who is not too good at reviews... I'll let others here add useful comments. It has probably been at least five years since last listen and I was pleasantly encouraged with renewed enthusiasm. Interesting how THAT works.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Have to give that a re listen, what was the weather that year Chris?

I have 2 of their albums, but not the one you reference. They're not among my faves from Italy, but that's pretty rare air, anyway. I still like them quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Have to give that a re listen, what was the weather that year Chris?
    Saturday (the day Mary Newsletter played) was beautiful. Mid 70's and sunny if I remember right. Sunday was cold and windy. The music was great, but the weather felt like November in Michigan. Mary Newsletter were a cool band. Did they ever do any more albums? The one Chris mentions is the only one I own.

They did two others, names escape me I only have this one which i think is their second.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saturday (the day Mary Newsletter played) was beautiful. Mid 70's and sunny if I remember right. Sunday was cold and windy. The music was great, but the weather felt like November in Michigan. Mary Newsletter were a cool band. Did they ever do any more albums? The one Chris mentions is the only one I own.
    The reason for the cool weather was that for what I believe is the first time Progday was not Labour Day weekend, instead was moved to October to avoid potential hurricanes.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    The reason for the cool weather was that for what I believe is the first time Progday was not Labour Day weekend, instead was moved to October to avoid potential hurricanes.
    Yup, Peter gave Columbus Day weekend a try that year. It was downright cold on Sunday. The other thing with the October date is that it got dark significantly earlier. When you have a venue that has a "sundown" curfew, that can be a problem.