Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sahdowfax-Watercourse Way 1976 lp

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Badass.

Thanks for that! New Electric India and Don Cherry's Brown Rice are the two high points of the Windham Hill era. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    there's some excellent music on every Shadowfax album right up to the last one IMO but WW is the only one that Rocks hard
    I am in the process right now of downloading "The Lost Years" (1978) from Soundcloud, which places it between the 1976 vinyl "Watercourse Way" and their self-titled debut on Windham Hill (1982) which heralded such a big stylistic change. At least one track has vocals.

are those hi-fi recordings? sounds interesting...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I am in the process right now of downloading "The Lost Years" (1978) from Soundcloud, which places it between the 1976 vinyl "Watercourse Way" and their self-titled debut on Windham Hill (1982) which heralded such a big stylistic change. At least one track has vocals.
    Thanks for the heads up, AWESOME stuff!!!

How do you download that???

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    are those hi-fi recordings? sounds interesting...
    Studio recordings, so yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH
    How do you download that???
    Well I dunno about you, but I have set up my PC so I can take the line-out and plug it into the line-in (using Audacity and switching the output so it doesn't feed back). Easy peasy.

Incidentally, these tracks came up six years ago too, as mentioned on the 2nd page.

The second track on this, "Cubic Space Division," is live and probably comes from the 1978 "Live at the Wise Fool's Pub" bootleg, which I don't have. It's supposedly a soundboard recording and -- if this track is any indication -- pretty darn good sound.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-16-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Live at Fools Wise Pub has been given an official digital release now..

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Wise-Foo...=dmusic&sr=1-2

Discogs says "Soundboard Recording; Recorded at the Wise Fool's Pub in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois on April 25, 1978."

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Live at Fools Wise Pub has been given an official digital release now..

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Wise-Foo...=dmusic&sr=1-2

Discogs says "Soundboard Recording; Recorded at the Wise Fool's Pub in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois on April 25, 1978."
    Looks great but can someone confirm this is legit? "Greenshadow Music"? Seems like it may be run by Chuck's widow. If money goes to her and/or the bandmembers, I'm in. 2.5 hours of music!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Looks great but can someone confirm this is legit? "Greenshadow Music"? Seems like it may be run by Chuck's widow. If money goes to her and/or the bandmembers, I'm in. 2.5 hours of music!
    Yes it's run by Joy Greenburg, Chuck's widow. Looks like she has added all the Shadowfax albums to digital recently as well as this. She must have the rights to administrate the band's music.

Yes it's run by Joy Greenburg, Chuck's widow. Looks like she has added all the Shadowfax albums to digital recently as well as this. She must have the rights to administrate the band's music.
    Well, I'm pretty sure she's got more rights to it than “Tachika”.

I will be getting this. It's also on the UK Amazon site for those on this side of the pond.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Hey this is pretty cool: Greenshadow music has put up *both* versions of WW up for download on Amazon. The original and the Windham Hill. The track titles are all the same but the song lengths vary. How different are these? I'm willing to get both if there are interesting differences.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The original and the Windham Hill. The track titles are all the same but the song lengths vary. How different are these? I'm willing to get both if there are interesting differences.
    Lookie here. Specifically post #67.

^^^ Wow. Only on PE are you going to get an answer that comprehensive about an obscure 44 year old record! Thanks for the reference.

Hi, I didn't notice that both versions of Watercourse Way are out digitally now. Here's a note from the Shadowfax Facebook page the Joy Greenburg administers:

"Look what's being released on March 1: the first digital version of the 1975 Watercourse Way! With special thanks to Ed Vitralis for his masterful digital transfer from vinyl."

Here's a note from the Shadowfax Facebook page the Joy Greenberg administers:

"Look what's being released on March 1: the first digital version of the 1975 Watercourse Way! With special thanks to Ed Vitralis for his masterful digital transfer from vinyl."
    Oh my god. My digital transfer is MUCH cleaner. Vitralis didn't even try to remove surface noise!

I have contacted Joy about substituting mine.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-30-2019 at 11:47 AM.

I’ve always figured this was one of those smooth jazz albums. Boy was I wrong in listening to the samples. Have to find a copy of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I've posted this before, but since Joy's name has been mentioned it's good to know she wrote a book on Shadowfax and Chuck, called A Pause In The Rain.
    After I read it a few years back I was able to complete my Shadowfax-discography, with the exception of the live-video.

You might have to spell her last name CORRECTLY to find the book however, it's "Greenberg" not "Greenburg."

Listening to Wise Fool right now. These guys were even better live than on the WW record. They really could give Mahavishnu a run for their money and added some of their own style as well. Shame it was 1978 and not too many people cared anymore...

Cubic Space Division, Arc Force: absolute brain melters. Every fusion fan needs this!

Joy posted a couple of new live videos to youtube including Live in Montreux from 1985

^^^ That is some nice video; a little over-rehearsed and uptight for Montreux but the quality of the compositions shines through. Shame that 10-15 years ago when that slew of "Live in Montreux" DVDs came out, this one never did. It would be great to have a master-quality print of it.

Next month we will see a reissue of both versions of this Album (LP and CD Version) as a
    double CD release by Belle Antique.

There will also be a legit release of the 1978 Live at the Wise Fool's Pub 2CD.
    This was around as a Bootleg for some time.

http://www.marquee.co.jp/label/bell_antique.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Next month we will see a reissue of both versions of this Album (LP and CD Version) as a

I got this message too.
    Although I have always had a high opinion on Belle Antique I begin to hesitate a bit after their recent release of the misprint of the Automatic Man-rerelease.
    So I wouldn't be surprised if for the original Shadowfax the Tachika-version will be used.
    Well, anyway, I ordered this set.

"Petite Aubade" has been on the Christmas playlist for decades in my household.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Live '83

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

ooo...this is tempting.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.