Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sahdowfax-Watercourse Way 1976 lp

How do you actually order from these guys or will it be available elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    How do you actually order from these guys or will it be available elsewhere?
    Normaly it should end up on Amazon or Discogs, if not there is always cdjapan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Normaly it should end up on Amazon or Discogs, if not there is always cdjapan.
    There you go: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BEL...dec5d288fd0804

Not exactly on the cheap side but I figure I'll have to suck it up. Probably cheaper than the Abbey Road deluxe.

Next month we will see a reissue of both versions of this Album (LP and CD Version) as a
    double CD release by Belle Antique.

There will also be a legit release of the 1978 Live at the Wise Fool's Pub 2CD.
    This was around as a Bootleg for some time.

http://www.marquee.co.jp/label/bell_antique.htm
    Just got this one and here are some first impressions:
    1. The albums are housed in two separate mini-LP-sleeves, so it's not a double-CD-sleeve.
    2. The CD's mention "Watercourse Way (Double CD Edition)".
    3. There's just one mainly Japanese liner notes sheet.
    4. The liner notes mentions THIS FORUM!! (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...hp/t-1828.html)
    5. The original album contains two bonus tracks:
    a. Woman Most Precious, a 8:20 long composition by Greg Stinson:

b. a different version of Linear Dance:

6. The music was digitally remastered by Cazuo Ogino and listening to the original Watercourse Way I think it sounds better than the Tachika.
    7. The liner notes contain two pictures, one featuring Chuck demonstrating the lyricon in 1974 and one featuring the four-piece band in 1985.

From the archive-thread mentioned above this is a major post:

rcarlberg
    02-16-2013, 09:15 PM
    I've been comparing the original 1975 vinyl mix with the 1985 CD re-issue, going over the changes with a fine-toothed comb (because that's the kind of geek I am).

Changes in remix for Lost Lake Arts re-issue:

Track 1: The Shape of a Word
    00:00 count-in removed
    00:00-00:34 dual guitars mixed to mono
    00:31-00:40 panning of cymbal eliminated
    01:03-01:27 doubling of electric piano by synth is removed
    01:40-01:57 panning of 2nd synth line eliminated
    02:01-07:05 piano mixed much higher, panning eliminated
    04:39 gong hit re-recorded
    06:30-07:05 synth mixed way back
    07:10-07:19 bell tree removed

Track 2: Linear Dance
    Track is slowed down a semitone, bass guitar mixed much higher
    00:00-00:25 dual guitar tracks mixed to mono, synth line is doubled and mixed to wings
    00:25-01:04 guitar track re-recorded, 2nd guitar removed (R-channel), synthesizer removed
    05:16-05:35 bassoon & strings at end removed, seque to next track removed

Track 3: Petite Aubade
    Instrumental balance substantially altered throughout
    03:19-05:50 harpsichord removed
    03:20-05:58 recorders mixed much higher

Track 4: Book of Hours
    00:00-01:08 bell tree added
    01:37-01:55 synth removed, crunchy guitar mixed higher
    02:05-03:12 electric piano removed
    03:19-06:32 soprano sax removed
    05:40-06:29 second doubling guitar track removed

Track 5: The Watercourse Way
    Track is slowed down a semitone
    00:05-02:45 piano removed
    00:06-02:45 doubling of acoustic guitar removed
    00:17-05:44 soprano sax re-recorded with Lyricon

Track 6: A Song For My Brother
    09:44 fades out 14 seconds earlier

I forgot to say.....thanks

Live 1992 at Pine Knob:

Taken from a cassette tape master recorded off the sound board by Sound Engineer Steve Gregory, who introduced the band that night. Digital transfer and additional sound engineering by Edward Vitralis. Band members are Chuck Greenberg (lyricon, winds); Stu Nevitt (percussion, drums); Phil Maggini (bass guitar); Ramon Yslas (percussion); Armen Chakmakian (keyboards). Unique for Shadowfax was the absence of a lead guitarist. Following founding Shadowfaxer G.E. Stinson's departure in 1991, the band was transitioning to new lead guitarist Andy Abad, who was unable to perform that night. Cover art by Joel Nakamura; cover design by Edward Vitralis.
    (source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/shadowfaxmusic/posts/)

More video's on Joy Greenberg's youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYP...jm3mAUg/videos

The two bonus tracks are taken from the digital only release The Lost Years.

Found a beaut of a copy of Watercourse Way on vinyl the other day at a record show. Original Passport version. Really some great hard fusion stuff on here. Thanks to this thread for the heads up.

Would be great if the moderators could correct the title of this thread....

Well, just read that another (digital only) live-album by Shadowfax was released, called Live At The China Club, recorded in 1992.
    Their facebook-site mentions that it contains the only live recording of a track from Chuck's solo-album.
    Here's Tow Headed Alarm Clock:

Another new digital live-album is Live from Wolf Trap: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shadowfax...ref=nb_sb_noss
    and one more called Live At Pine Knob: https://open.spotify.com/album/0JwYuIpALebararlgzOaC2
    They're sure active lately

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/pg/shadowfaxmusic/posts/

Thanks. There are actually five (5) new Shadowfax concerts up on Amazon. While I wish Joy had used Bandcamp (I understand Amazon takes a bigger cut) I think its great that she's putting out this material for download by fans and can earn a little revenue from Chuck's music after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thanks. There are actually five (5) new Shadowfax concerts up on Amazon. While I wish Joy had used Bandcamp (I understand Amazon takes a bigger cut) I think its great that she's putting out this material for download by fans and can earn a little revenue from Chuck's music after all these years.
    I’m not so sure the remaining members of the band are happy about these releases.

Next month we will see a reissue of both versions of this Album (LP and CD Version) as a
    double CD release by Belle Antique.

There will also be a legit release of the 1978 Live at the Wise Fool's Pub 2CD.
    This was around as a Bootleg for some time.

http://www.marquee.co.jp/label/bell_antique.htm
    This message (including pics of the covers) is now on the Shadowfax-facebook page too, including another (Japanese) shop you can order it from: https://www.facebook.com/pg/shadowfaxmusic/posts/

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I’m not so sure the remaining members of the band are happy about these releases.
    Have you been in contact with them, or are you thread crapping?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    For those who want physical CD's, Joy Greenberg said: "I am making custom CDs for those who want them. It may take a week to create the CD cover/insert. If you wish to order one, you may send $20 (includes shipping) to PayPal account jhg@joyhornergreenberg.com. Please tell me your address. Thanks, Joy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    For those who want physical CD's, Joy Greenberg said: "I am making custom CDs for those who want them. It may take a week to create the CD cover/insert. If you wish to order one, you may send $20 (includes shipping) to PayPal account jhg@joyhornergreenberg.com. Please tell me your address. Thanks, Joy"
    They'll probably be CD-Rs, just to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Have you been in contact with them, or are you thread crapping?
    Funny to have that asked by the king of thread crapping.

As it happens I'm friends with GE Stinson on Facebook. He has expressed his displeasure with these releases. He has called into question Chuck Greenberg's widow's legal right to release these without the other band members consent.

Is that good enough for you?

As it happens I'm friends with GE Stinson on Facebook. He has expressed his displeasure with these releases. He has called into question Chuck Greenberg's widow's legal right to release these without the other band members consent.

Hopefully they're getting some of the cut. Unfortunately it's probably too small of money to pay lawyers and stuff.

Yes, thanks. I'm trying to reform, so I'm hyper-aware of people making assertions without the facts to back them up.

Instead of saying you're "not too sure about the remaining members," you could have stated "I'm FB friends with GE Stinson, and he has expressed his displeasure with these releases." That would have been both clearer, AND more accurate.

Now, as to whether Joy has the right to release these recordings -- are they written by Chuck and published by Chuck's publishing company? As a vendor, you certainly should be aware of how artists own rights. You could've advised GE Stinson on his legal rights, if he has any. You could've recommended he talk to a lawyer, if there's enough money involved to make it worthwhile (which I doubt).

Instead you thread crapped.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-19-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes, thanks. I'm trying to reform, so I'm hyper-aware of people making assertions without the facts to back them up.

Instead of saying you're "not too sure about the remaining members," you could have stated "I'm FB friends with GE Stinson, and he has expressed his displeasure with these releases." That would have been both clearer, AND more accurate.

Now, as to whether Joy has the right to release these recordings -- are they written by Chuck and published by Chuck's publishing company? As a vendor, you certainly should be aware of how artists own rights. You could've advised GE Stinson on his legal rights, if he has any. You could've recommended he talk to a lawyer, if there's enough money involved to make it worthwhile (which I doubt).

Instead you thread crapped.
    My comment was clear. It doesn’t need rephrasing. Through out the years you’ve constantly come across as a forum bully and I know specifically you get a charge arguing with me. Thats fine I suppose. I’m always up for a good fight. If you are trying to reform you are doing a poor job. You are back to your old ways.

I am simply a FB friend of GE Stinson. I’ve had brief private conversations with him in the past. I am not his legal counsel or intimate friend. Based on his posts its clear he is a bright and articulate gentleman. There is no reason for me to inject myself into the affairs of a long dormant band for which I have no relationship beyond being an ardent fan. You either but It seems to be your MO. You seem to have a lot of unasked for advice and opinions. If you are so concerned send him a message. I’m sure he would love to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Thanks. I've contacted Joy and she confirms she burns the CD's herself, so yes, that makes them CD-R's.
    For those outside the USA: the shipping costs are NOT included: you have to tell her where you live and she'll let you know how much it's gonna be (and you know it won't be cheap).
    Personally I'm especially interested in The Lost Years.

I know specifically you get a charge arguing with me. Thats fine I suppose. I’m always up for a good fight.
    It's a good start that you've noticed it's only you.