Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lost Crowns

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm loving Charlie Cawood's bass on this.
    I was talking to him about his playing over the weekend... I too noticed it mixed super nice and the tone is awesome - he said he didnt touch a note of music on the writing end - all Richard. Its badass innit.

Just played it again. That ending of Dandy doesn't know is really of extreme pastoral beauty.

Indeed totally badass. I need to see this life.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Just played it again. That ending of Dandy doesn't know is really of extreme pastoral beauty.

Indeed totally badass. I need to see this life.
    Next week in London I think - and hopefully they show up at the Convention with Gong!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Next week in London I think - and hopefully they show up at the Convention with Gong!
    That's what I'm thinking, & I was wondering about new Knifeworld material getting a run out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just gave this a listen and y'all are right on!!! Great LP that will be on a few year end lists.
    The Prog Corner

I have nothing clever to say, but bloody excellent this is indeed, though hardly suprising given the persons involved. I'll have to grab a physical copy, along with this 'new' NSRO rarities thing that i've just found out about.

Now I need the damn tooth pulled! Too much decay.

Truly a lost crown.

Excellent album. Definitely a strong candidate for 2019's end year list.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Plague is all over this - 5uus - Bob Drake - its loaded to the gills with nods.
    As flattering a compliments as that is: nods, shmods - I hear LOST CROWNS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    As flattering a compliments as that is: nods, shmods - I hear LOST CROWNS!
    I often wonder how intentional some of that is - I've heard passages that are so similar to something else that its freaky... but maybe it was something never even thought about from Richard's perspective... just deep seeded influences pushing out. I agree though - its all Lost Crowns and I tell everyone about Lost Crowns.

Late to the Lost Crowns discovery, but after the first several listens, it is awesome. It sound vaguely familiar yet not like anything being released right now. Truly stands on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    It sound vaguely familiar yet not like anything being released right now.
    +1.

If anything, it reminds of Larcombe's very own Stars In Battledress. And it's probably rather symptomatic for the general state of advanced rock music that acts like these remain practically undiscovered by a somewhat larger house of listeners.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    +1.

If anything, it reminds of Larcombe's very own Stars In Battledress. And it's probably rather symptomatic for the general state of advanced rock music that acts like these remain practically undiscovered by a somewhat larger house of listeners.
    They played at the ABC Convention - even Cardiacs fans find them hard to get into... the built up lunacy doesnt have enough space to breath - is the main comment I heard. I think being a Henry Cow, 5uus, and Thinking Plague fan gives me advantage to opening this up and loving it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've found them harder to get into than some of the other bands associated with this scene but its certainly dense and interesting & I'll probaly end up loving it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Surprisingly, it reminded me a little bit of 5uus circa Hunger's Teeth, but with a completely different style of singing.

I liked it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Strangely enough I never had trouble getting into Lost crowns. Liked it at first listen, loved it after a couple more.

Now (most) Henry Cow, UZ and especially ART Zoyd; those I find hard to get into.

Strangely enough I never had trouble getting into Lost crowns. Liked it at first listen, loved it after a couple more.

Now (most) Henry Cow, UZ and especially ART Zoyd; those I find hard to get into.
    Maybe you need vocals?

Lost Crowns was definetely the best of 2019 for me (so far).
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 07-31-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Maybe you need vocals?

One of my favorite band is/was Aranis so probably not. I find Cow to be very difficult and UZ and Zoyd so damn dark. I have less troubles with UZ then with Zoyd though. It is probably just being able to 'relate' more to a certain type of sound which makes you more receptive.

I loved that colourful psydelelic sound and vocals of Lost Crowns instantly. When you do it gets easy to deal with the density.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Surprisingly, it reminded me a little bit of 5uus circa Hunger's Teeth, but with a completely different style of singing.

I liked it!
    I hear 5uus all over this - especially some bass line passages - I wanted to press Bob on this at the show but decided it wasnt a good idea. haha. He isnt too fond of comparison talking - at least I get that impression. They do have their own sound though - absolutely my favorite album this year and probably will stay that way. Talking with Larcombe is an experience in itself. Lovely guy - and a serious thinker in my estimation.

I hear 5uus all over this
    Glad someone else hears it too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

These vocals remind me of this
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

^ There are snippets from the Stars In Battledress-album (In Droplet Form) that also have a faint GG-imprint to them, but overall I hear a more harsh and unforgiving style of density to Lost Crown's music.

The above mentioning of 5UU's are spot-on; while there's certainly some element of known tradition (GG, a tad KC or even Yes), the most defining factor is that of fairly radical acts like Art Bears or more recent stuff like Extra Life etc. I suppose some would deem this too "jarring" or deliberately uncompromising in tone, but I myself find that this sort of meticulously challenging endeavour is becoming all the more rare in contemporary rock. And that's precisely what this is, I think - contemporary rock.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've found them harder to get into than some of the other bands associated with this scene but its certainly dense and interesting & I'll probaly end up loving it.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll give it a spin today and see if it clicks.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.