Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lost Crowns

Europeans can order the CD here https://lostcrowns.bandcamp.com/ £10 GBP or more
    I must...

Heard it. Not my cup of tea all, despite all the Cardiac's family and friends involved.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Heard it. Not my cup of tea all, despite all the Cardiac's family and friends involved.
    Too many wrong notes?

A fantastic achievement, already flirting with "masterpiece" status in my book. While the obvious points of reference are Henry Cow, Cardiacs, Gentle Giant (some tasty fugual polyphony on the vocals there), the music seems to (or pretends to) stem right from the psychedelic 60's: I hear a lot of acid-folk or Syd Barrett or even the Kinks colour in those extra-complex songs. Listen to the closer "Star of my heart", where this psychedelic undercurrent surfaces in all its unambiguous glory.

And yes, they are songs. Love songs mostly, from what I gather. Unmistakably British, beautiful songs. Cheers to the island that still - although not too often anymore - keeps feeding us with great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    A fantastic achievement, already flirting with "masterpiece" status in my book. While the obvious points of reference are Henry Cow, Cardiacs, Gentle Giant (some tasty fugual polyphony on the vocals there), the music seems to (or pretends to) stem right from the psychedelic 60's: I hear a lot of acid-folk or Syd Barrett or even the Kinks colour in those extra-complex songs. Listen to the closer "Star of my heart", where this psychedelic undercurrent surfaces in all its unambiguous glory.

And yes, they are songs. Love songs mostly, from what I gather. Unmistakably British, beautiful songs. Cheers to the island that still - although not too often anymore - keeps feeding us with great music.
    Not much I disagree with here

Yes, agreed. That’s my feeling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

- my thoughts were Thinking Plague.

It is great to talk about all the influences we hear in Lost crowns and I agree with most of them. Still the sum of all the parts still does not sound, at least to me, quite like anything else in my collection.

Charlie Cawood's bass-playing on this album is strangely compelling. I mean it is far from all that's compelling here, but for some reason it just jumped up and grabbed me.

For anyone who hasn't heard it, Cawood's 2017 album The Divine Abstract is also very much worth some eartime - though totally different from what's on offer with Lost Crowns. It's a kind of modern chamber music that is suffused with musical influences from China and many other places. Dream of a record.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    For anyone who hasn't heard it, Cawood's 2017 album The Divine Abstract is also very much worth some eartime - though totally different from what's on offer with Lost Crowns. It's a kind of modern chamber music that is suffused with musical influences from China and many other places. Dream of a record.
    I have it but so far it did not do much for me. I will give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Please tell me there'll be a physical release of this.
    CD is already available.

This bastard is like a bouillon cube of intense flavor - its not something you can play once or twice and shove aside - it takes some concentration and some patience - the magic will start poking through that velvet slowly - and man is that light growing more and more intense each day I play this. So far album of the year for me - and I dont think anything will change that... never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    - my thoughts were Thinking Plague.
    Plague is all over this - 5uus - Bob Drake - its loaded to the gills with nods.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It is great to talk about all the influences we hear in Lost crowns and I agree with most of them. Still the sum of all the parts still does not sound, at least to me, quite like anything else in my collection.
    This is so true, because first listen is an instant "Thinking Plague" or "Henry Cow", but soon enough one understands that this is not yet another avant/rio album.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened to it four times now and it is getting its hooks into me a little more with each listen, while it clearly has influences it is very much its own animal and distinctly differences from those influences or the band members other bands. I hesitate to use the word masterpiece but I'm going to be playing this one a LOT this year.

Hopefully they'll get a gig or two organized with other similar bands & I can swing a trip to the UK similar to the last 2 I did. I really need to see & hear this performed live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Man, all these glowing impressions are making me rather excited to hear this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Plague is all over this - 5uus - Bob Drake - its loaded to the gills with nods.
    Firstly, bravo to these guys. Impressive. I'm really not hearing T. Plague in this. Harmonically and rhythmically it hits me most like an updated H. Cow, with a little 5uus (the former having influenced the latter). And just a tad, maybe, of Zappa. The repeating "anthem" at the end is slightly reminiscent of G. Giant, but not much, imho. Ultimately, as was said, while influences are inevitably there, these guys are really creating their own thing. The only thing "psychedelic" I'm getting from it is their clothing. The animal heads are kinda Residents-ish. It is definitely an interesting video. It's a melange for sure, but with its own vision, and wonderfully executed. Congratz to them.

Dentist couldn't save my crown, tooth must be pulled. The crown is definitely lost.

The last minute of Let Loving Her is so full of Gentle Giant spirit that I had to wear my Giant For A Day mask and dance to it. Not a bad thing in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Firstly, bravo to these guys. Impressive. I'm really not hearing T. Plague in this. Harmonically and rhythmically it hits me most like an updated H. Cow, with a little 5uus (the former having influenced the latter). And just a tad, maybe, of Zappa. The repeating "anthem" at the end is slightly reminiscent of G. Giant, but not much, imho. Ultimately, as was said, while influences are inevitably there, these guys are really creating their own thing. The only thing "psychedelic" I'm getting from it is their clothing. The animal heads are kinda Residents-ish. It is definitely an interesting video. It's a melange for sure, but with its own vision, and wonderfully executed. Congratz to them.
    I wondered how what I hear as similar to Thinking Plague is actually not musically - if that makes sense - very interesting to hear how someone sees or hears music in their head - I think I hear the rhythmic side of Plague in there or maybe its the way the changes hit inside the song - dunno - hard to explain either way with music this dense. I swear I hear like 20 things in there - from big to tiny. I agree its taken on its own form and its a fine creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Too many wrong notes?
    ??? No such thing as a wrong note imo.

really enjoying this album, though i find myself wishing for more dynamics in the composition and production (though that might open up on repeated listens, who knows!), and the mix or master feels pretty squashed in headphones, definitely sounds a lot stronger on speakers so far to me! definitely one of the most "RIO"-sounding new albums I've heard in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I wondered how what I hear as similar to Thinking Plague is actually not musically - if that makes sense - very interesting to hear how someone sees or hears music in their head - I think I hear the rhythmic side of Plague in there or maybe its the way the changes hit inside the song - dunno - hard to explain either way with music this dense. I swear I hear like 20 things in there - from big to tiny. I agree its taken on its own form and its a fine creature.
    Well, I'd be flattered to learn from these guys that I am an influence, but what I'm hearing is H Cow, etc., like I said. These kinds of rhythms are ubiquitous in '20th century' art music, and in plenty of so-called avant progressive, starting probably with Zappa. Also there's a strain of sort of jazz-derived harmony, though much evolved away from just stacked 3rds, that reminds me of Cow, Zappa, various Canterbury bits, et al. I was never much into that, and have avoided oit in TP music. When we do jazz it's actually "jazz,"...or even "jasss." �� So..... I do think that we always hear music through the aural "prism" of what we've already listened to and liked - inevitably.

That double kick-drum storm on Let Loving Her Be Everything is just killing me. Also the crazy chorus on Housemaids Knees that appears at 7th min mark and is repeated identical for so much longer than expected, creating an inescapable impression. A great, great record.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm loving Charlie Cawood's bass on this.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.