Friday 05 April 2019
    Rams Head On Stage, Annapolis, MD, US

Apr 06, 2019
    Harvester Performance Center
    Rocky Mount, VA

Apr 10, 2019
    Savannah Music Festival
    Savannah, GA

I keep hoping for one more Pat Metheny Group Album and tour. The last album from 2005 was excellent. With every year my hope fades for one more PMG tour with Lyle Mays and the band.

Hopefully, I can go to the show in Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    I keep hoping for one more Pat Metheny Group Album and tour. The last album from 2005 was excellent. With every year my hope fades for one more PMG tour with Lyle Mays and the band.
    ... which got me wondering .. what is Lyle Mays doing these days?

Pat has a new band. Pianist James Francies (a youngster, just 22 years old) and drummer Nate Smith (who’s toured with Dave Holland and Joe Jackson). No bass apparently.

I’d like to see Lyle Mays again, but from what I’ve read he just doesn’t like touring.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This explains his current touring methodology and choice of sidemen,
    http://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=111

I’m not worried. He’s picked some awesome sidemen. I really like Gwilym Simcock and Antonio Sanchez

Metheny's been a leader for so long, and so prolifically, that it's easy to forget that he started as a sideman playing Gary Burton's music (among others). His stint playing in Joni Mitchell's band was also formative. Very cool to see him purposefully "giving back" in this way, hiring young cats who have caught his eye and giving them a chance to grow through his music. If he comes to my area I'll definitely attend.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm a half hour away from that first gig in March. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Metheny's been a leader for so long, and so prolifically, that it's easy to forget that he started as a sideman playing Gary Burton's music (among others).
    Pat recently posted this, about one particular early sideman gig, which I found very cool. If only there was video footage...

RIP ROY CLARK

During the summers of 1971 and 1972 when I was 16 and 17 I occasionally got calls to work at Starlight Theatre in Kansas City’s Swope Park. It was a great gig for me because it was early enough that I could play there and then go to another gig that was more jazz oriented later in the evening. Among the shows that I did over those couple of years were week long engagements with folks like Pearl Bailey and Louis Bellson, Doc Severinsen, Marilyn Maye, various traveling Broadway shows like Caberet with Joel Grey and Sweet Charity with Juliet Prowse and others.

But one that really stood out was a week that I did with Roy Clark, who was at the peak of his popularity around then because of his show “Hee Haw”. For that week, I was hired to play bass, which came up every now and then since I was an ok sight reader. Roy was a great guy. Right at the first rehearsal he zeroed in on me in a way that musicians often do when they sense a friend in the music. I had such a great time backing him up on his hit songs and his amazing guitar features that knocked the audience out every night. A few days into the gig, apparently someone told him that I was also a guitar player. One afternoon I was asked to visit him backstage after the sound check. He was unbelievably encouraging to me and was truly one of the nicest people I had ever met at that early stage of things. I never ran into him again but always had hoped to get the chance to catch up with him and thank him and see if he remembered that week. RIP, Roy!

~Pat Metheny

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    ... which got me wondering .. what is Lyle Mays doing these days?
    Working as a computer programmer I believe.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I’m not worried. He’s picked some awesome sidemen. I really like Gwilym Simcock and Antonio Sanchez
    this had to be excellent.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This explains his current touring methodology and choice of sidemen,
    http://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=111
    Interesting. wonder if this means it'll be a "greatest hits" type of setlist, a cover band, or if new material will surface written with this particular grouping on mind.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Excellent show last night in Homer, NY. Pat has a very full sounding trio with Nate Smith on drums and James Francies on piano/keyboards. Two and a half hours of music spanning his entire career. Despite no bassist there was plenty of low end from the keyboards and Pat's pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Excellent show last night in Homer, NY. Pat has a very full sounding trio with Nate Smith on drums and James Francies on piano/keyboards. Two and a half hours of music spanning his entire career. Despite no bassist there was plenty of low end from the keyboards and Pat's pedals.
    Cool. Did you notice if there were any new tunes? I believe the previous band with Simcock did one new song every show (and one or two others occasionally) but it was primarily the greatest hits.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Cool. Did you notice if there were any new tunes? I believe the previous band with Simcock did one new song every show (and one or two others occasionally) but it was primarily the greatest hits.
    There were two tunes I didn't recognize. One was very bluesy, and the other was kind of a rock/funk tune with some percussive phrases and whammy bar stuff that I really enjoyed, but he didn't identify any of the tunes. It was a very diverse set. He played The Red One from the album with Scofield, and a 20 minute mondo guitar improv on Question & Answer.

Pat Metheny used to put out an album every year for 35 years but stopped after 2014. Someone said here that he has written five albums since then but won't release them because they won't sell in the current market. Can someone verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Pat Metheny used to put out an album every year for 35 years but stopped after 2014. Someone said here that he has written five albums since then but won't release them because they won't sell in the current market. Can someone verify this?
    I've read something along those lines too. I read that one was a duo album with Ron Carter (they played some shows together a few years ago). Too bad.

He did a studio session with the Simcock, Oh and Sanchez band (Sanchez posted photos on FB from it).

Seems like his situation would be ripe for crowd-funding to enable the release of more material.
    <sig out of order>

In an interview two years ago he said he had 8-10 albums worth of material. But since today's audience is conditioned to enjoy music for free, he's not inclined to be releasing records in the current climate.

In an interview two years ago he said he had 8-10 albums worth of material. But since today's audience is conditioned to enjoy music for free, he's not inclined to be releasing records in the current climate.
    8 to 10 albums? His last studio album was in 2014. You'd think a musician worth $245 million may just want his music out there. You know, just one or maybe two albums of all of those pent up songs.

You'd think a musician worth $245 million may just want his music out there.
    That net worth web article on Metheny seems to be loaded with bullshit. Restaurant chains, perfume and vodka sales? Pat has stated in interviews that he's anti drugs and alcohol. In fact he's never had a beer or any other alcohol in his entire life. He's taking a stand against record companies ripping off artists. He makes money touring the globe every year.

That net worth web article on Metheny seems to be loaded with bullshit. Restaurant chains, perfume and vodka sales? Pat has stated in interviews that he's anti drugs and alcohol. In fact he's never had a beer or any other alcohol in his entire life. He's taking a stand against record companies ripping off artists. He makes money touring the globe every year.
    The point is Metheny's album sales would be so small compared to his wealth, even if before youtube and spotify, that they wouldn't add anything noticeable. He doesn't need a label to make a record.

The point is Metheny's album sales would be so small compared to his wealth, even if before youtube and spotify, that they wouldn't add anything noticeable. He doesn't need a label to make a record.
    Unless there are contracts in place that are difficult to circumvent?
    <sig out of order>

Other than a handful of exceptions, jazz records have never sold in significant numbers. Metheny being one of the exceptions. No he doesn't need a label, but maybe he's not interested in being in the record business?