Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fave Concerts 2018

My days of going to lots of live shows are behind me for several reasons, but I saw four really great concerts this year: Dweezil, Ronin, Snarky Puppy/Jacob Collier, and Lake Street Dive (Progeezer, I'd love to hear what you thought of LSD, and I join in the commiserations over your fall; heal quickly!).

What this thread does tell me, however, is that the death of quality live music is not yet imminent!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

progeezer, wishing you a swift recovery.

I didn't go to enough concerts this year. I think my favourite was the Lindsay Cooper Songbook in the summer, with support by The Watts and Chloe Herington. Runner-up would be Yes's 50th anniversary weekend in London.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For me:

King Crimson
    Dweezil Zappa

But I feel like I'm forgetting something fairly recent...
    I think what I was forgetting was:

Pink Talking Fish at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY

That's the band that plays covers of Floyd, Talking Heads, and Phish. I saw them do all of The Wall, which incorporated Phish and Talking Heads songs, and worked MUCH better than it sounds on paper! With Consider the Source opening. It was a great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Eldorado is a 10 out of 10 album for me, Anything from that album, Can't Get It Out Of My Head etc? I wanted to catch the Toronto show but didn't make it to the show. I'll check for your review.

The best concert I saw was Steve Wilson's Too The Bone show in Montreal.
    Here is the review I wrote of ELO. The Wilson show in Chicago was extremely good too.

Saw ELO Last Thursday Night - Spoilers
    I am a little bit late on this one, but last Thursday night I saw Jeff Lynn’s Electric Light Orchestra with opening act Dawes at Little Ceaser’s Arena in Detroit MI. The arena is the brand new home of the Red Wings and Pistons and this was my first time in the place. It is a very impressive facility and the acoustics were outstanding. Even when the opening act was on, you could hear every word of the vocals and the music sounded crisp and clear. It was like sitting at home and listening to your stereo.

Dawes opened things up with a really nice set of what I guess I would consider kind of folk rock, although they got heavy at times. The band had great vocal harmonies and also used a lot of twin lead harmony guitar. I was only marginally familiar with them going into the show, but I was really impressed.

ELO came on next with a lineup featuring Jeff Lynn (the only original member), and a band that included 3 keyboard players, a string section, 2 guitarists drums and bass. The sound was full and bombastic. Lynn’s voice sounded great and the whole band were top notch. The set list consisted of mostly greatest hits from throughout the band’s career, plus a track from the most recent album and a Travelling Wilburys number. The show featured big animated screens and a fairly impressive light show which included lasers. I have had a love / hate relationship with ELO over the years. They have done albums that I have really liked, and some that I did not care for that much. When they launched into disco ELO it made a good excuse for a bathroom / beer break. ELO basically play songs live exactly like the records, and don’t branch out much. On the one hand it is pretty amazing how well they can replicate their studio sound, but it also makes for a rather sterile overall feel of the show. At one point during a song (I don’t remember which one), Lynn forgot the lyrics, so at least we know he was singing live  Overall it was a really strong show and kind of a once in a lifetime experience since they are only doing a limited run of U.S. shows. Here is the set list:

STANDING IN THE RAIN
    EVIL WOMAN
    ALL OVER THE WORLD
    SHOWDOWN
    DO YA
    WHEN I WAS A BOY
    LIVIN THING
    HANDLE WITH CARE
    ROCKARIA
    CAN’T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD
    10538 OVERTURE
    SHINE A LITTLE LOVE
    WILD WEST HERO
    SWEET TALKIN WOMAN
    TELEPHONE LINE
    DON’T BRING ME DOWN
    TURN TO STONE
    MR. BLUE SKY

ENCORE:

ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post

What this thread does tell me, however, is that the death of quality live music is not yet imminent!
    I don't know about other parts of the country, but where I live the concert scene has never been stronger. I don't live in a big city either.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the review Steve.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Dweezil
    Richard Thompson
    Bernstein's Candide

Thanks all for your well wishes, very much appreciated!

"Jazzer" - that's the second time I've seen Lake St. Dive. They're a huge favorite of mine and I own their entire catalog. Thankfully they love playing Madison. All of them are technically awesome and I could listen to Rachel's smoky lounge singer Billie Holiday-inspired voice for hours.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    progeezer, wishing you a swift recovery.

I didn't go to enough concerts this year. I think my favourite was the Lindsay Cooper Songbook in the summer, with support by The Watts and Chloe Herington. Runner-up would be Yes's 50th anniversary weekend in London.

Henry
    Now that's a show I would love to see, holding out hope for RIO.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey Steve, not sure where it was posted - can't find it - but I hope you mend well, and soon!

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    The Arkestra are still at it, eh? Who is nominal bandleader nowadays?
    Marshall Allen, I believe, has been the leader since John Glimore's death back in the mid 90's. I'm not sure who all is in the Arkestra these days, other than Marshall, Danny Thompson, and I believe, Noel Scott is still with them.

About 17 years ago, I saw the Arkestra. I bought a poster before the show, and afterwards was invited into the dressing room, and we passed the poster around so that every member of the group could sign it. Literall, every member of the September 2001 edition of the group signed it. A couple years back, I got it out, and looked up some of the band members up on Wikipedia, and found that at least a few of them, notably Lukman Ali and John Ore, have since passed on.

And yes, I do have the poster framed.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "Jazzer" - that's the second time I've seen Lake St. Dive. They're a huge favorite of mine and I own their entire catalog. Thankfully they love playing Madison. All of them are technically awesome and I could listen to Rachel's smoky lounge singer Billie Holiday-inspired voice for hours.
    Totally agree. The writing has a very distinct "70s" quality to me, in the best way; they've really got a knack for melody and hooks that is sorely lacking in most of today's popular music (IMO). When I saw them this year they had recently added the keyboard player who is now evidently a full-fledged member, and the way it filled out the live sound was impressive. I have a small personal/professional connection, as the bassist was a student at a jazz camp where I was the bass instructor at some point back in the '00s; she was obviously a special talent then, and continues to grow with LSD.

To relate back to the OP: if you have a chance to see them live, don't pass it up.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Totally agree. The writing has a very distinct "70s" quality to me, in the best way; they've really got a knack for melody and hooks that is sorely lacking in most of today's popular music (IMO). When I saw them this year they had recently added the keyboard player who is now evidently a full-fledged member, and the way it filled out the live sound was impressive. I have a small personal/professional connection, as the bassist was a student at a jazz camp where I was the bass instructor at some point back in the '00s; she was obviously a special talent then, and continues to grow with LSD.

To relate back to the OP: if you have a chance to see them live, don't pass it up.
    I really like them too...never seen them live. They are touring and I noticed that they are playing Ponte Verde in Florida on Jan 15,close to my winter escape, however, when trying to purchase tickets, it appears that it's general admission meaning no seats, that lets me out.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Top 10 in 2018:

Steven Wilson at the RAH (x2)
    Camel at the RAH
    Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin
    The Pineapple Thief
    KC (x2)
    Nick Mason
    JCM
    Big Big Train

For me:

Steve Hackett
    PFM
    Peter Hammill
    King Crimson
    Yes
    Gryphon
    Caravan
    Carl Palmer
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I kicked up my heels at "A Celebration of 50 Years of Lawrence Welk" and threw my back out dancing the polka all night.

I also (seriously) slipped in the shower Thanksgiving morning and bruised a couple of ribs and my ass and am presently on Vicodin, which explains my first sentence..
    Hey Geez. Sorry to hear about your latest escapade. Please get well soon as we still have that Procul Harum date next year. And to your comment explaining your "first sentence", with all your decades worth of shenanigans you should have had multiple "sentences" by now. :-)
    And as for my top concerts of the year, 10 only scratches the surface of another very good year for me. My PE handle should partially explain the number of Zappa related shows. The other part is it was an exceptional year for Zappa related performances in Chicago (including the Chicago School of Rock graduating class performance of 2 hours worth).

Gov't Mule's Dark Side of the Mule (70's Floyd DNA successfully absorbed and projected though embellished interpretations of many of the band's classics - something Floyd, Waters and Gilmour MOSTLY have not done). AWESOME!
    Dweezil (twice with differing setlists)
    Chicago Zappa Collective performing Joe's Garage (Progtoberfest - pretty much nailing the highly sophisticated and intricate compositions - much more difficult that it appears on the surface for the uninitiated).
    David Byrne (Chicago's Auditorium Theatre)
    Roger Hodgson with Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra (not really the whole orchestra) I really would have preferred the orchestra assuming more of the rock band role rather than mostly orchestral coloring. But manna for a Supertramp fan.
    Bang On a Can All Stars 30 Years (Big Ears) - the penultimate performance of the festival and some people left prior missing out on what I thought was the most interesting performance of the festival. Its all subjective.
    Chris Siebold Performs Frank Zappa's Hot Rats - Martyrs - same lead as that of the Chicago Zappa Collective. Seibold is a monster guitarist and he has great taste!
    Jefferson Starship - Milwaukee (the Airplane a person top 10 favorite band of mine - they still deliver the goods)
    Kansas - Chicago Theatre (another top 10 favorite band - was fortunate to have seen them four consecutive tours in the 70s - starting with Masque - great to see this comeback)

Very worthy honorable mentions:
    Soft Machine (twice)
    Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble (Big Ears)
    Anna Thorvaldsdottir / ICE (Big Ears)
    Rova Channeling Coltrane: Electric Ascension (Big ears)
    Abigail Washburn & Wu Fei (Big Ears)
    Roscoe Mitchell Trios (Big Ears)
    Suzanna featuring Giovanna Pessi, Frode Haltli, Cheyenne Mize & Bonnie Prince Billy (Big Ears)
    Mark Ribot’s Ceramic Dog (Big Ears)
    Tyshawn Sorey Trio (Big Ears)
    Alan Holdswoth Memorial Concert - Martyrs (Siebold again with members of District 97)
    Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Constellation
    Jaga Jazzist (Big Ears)
    Olivia Block and Julia Holter (in a Chicago cemetary!)
    Rova The Sound in Space Project (Big Ears)
    Radiohead (United Center)

Many, many more.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Banned
    King Crimson
    John McLaughlin
    Soft Machine
    Nik Bartch's Ronin
    Brand X
    Accordo dei Contrari
    Cheer Accident

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Marshall Allen, I believe, has been the leader since John Glimore's death back in the mid 90's. I'm not sure who all is in the Arkestra these days, other than Marshall, Danny Thompson, and I believe, Noel Scott is still with them.

About 17 years ago, I saw the Arkestra. I bought a poster before the show, and afterwards was invited into the dressing room, and we passed the poster around so that every member of the group could sign it. Literall, every member of the September 2001 edition of the group signed it. A couple years back, I got it out, and looked up some of the band members up on Wikipedia, and found that at least a few of them, notably Lukman Ali and John Ore, have since passed on.

And yes, I do have the poster framed.
    That is very cool.

P.S. Marshall is 94 years old this year, so that is pretty extraordinary.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Bang On a Can All Stars 30 Years (Big Ears) - the penultimate performance of the festival and some people left prior missing out on what I thought was the most interesting performance of the festival. Its all subjective.
    Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble (Big Ears)
    Anna Thorvaldsdottir / ICE (Big Ears)
    Rova Channeling Coltrane: Electric Ascension (Big ears)
    Abigail Washburn & Wu Fei (Big Ears)
    Roscoe Mitchell Trios (Big Ears)
    Suzanna featuring Giovanna Pessi, Frode Haltli, Cheyenne Mize & Bonnie Prince Billy (Big Ears)
    Mark Ribot’s Ceramic Dog (Big Ears)
    Tyshawn Sorey Trio (Big Ears)
    Jaga Jazzist (Big Ears)
    Rova The Sound in Space Project (Big Ears)
    I guess you enjoyed Big Ears! Hope to see you there next year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hey Ian, yes, Big Ears was a Big Winner for me this year. I am already anticipating a major spread of enjoyment with the 2019 installment. The fest had more stylistic diversity and interesting/appealing acts than ProgDay and Progtoberfest. And as Mr. Battema opined (and I agree) ProgDay this year was mostly the formulaic guitar driven acts with little "new" to show for it. And for me personally, the first multi day festival attendance that did not have me deliriously happy with at least one act (Redfern came close). I am so envious of your attendance of the RIO fests.

I am sure our paths will cross multiple times next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    That is very cool.

P.S. Marshall is 94 years old this year, so that is pretty extraordinary.
    And the last time I saw him (past New Year's eve) he was still fairly active. Who knows when that will end and whether the Arkestra will continue. Been fortunate to see them 4 times in past 5 years. See them when you can!

Have seen quite a few shows this year...these were my favorites. Like a few others in this thread, Big Ears was a highlight. Hopefully this year I'll get to meet up with some of you

Marillion - Durham, NC
    Trey Anastasio Acoustic - Durham, NC
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Jaga Jazzist - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Susanna feat. Giovanni Pessi, Frode haltli & Cheyenne Mize - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Algiers - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN (x2)
    Medeski, Martin, & Wood (+Marc Ribot surprise guest) - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    GAS - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Steve Gunn - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    The Thing - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Arto Lindsay & Paal Nilssen-Love - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Suuns - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Tyshawn Sorey Trio - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Mats Gustafsson & Kieran Hebden - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    Lightning Bolt - Big Ears Festival, Knoxville, TN
    The National - Raleigh, NC
    Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - DC
    David Byrne - Durham, NC
    Primus - Raleigh, NC
    Kendrick Lamar - Raleigh, NC
    King's X - Charlotte, NC
    Dead & Company - Raleigh, NC
    The Revivalists - Wilmington, NC
    Bent Knee - Carrboro, NC
    Slayer / Lamb Of God / Anthrax - Charlotte, NC
    Yob - Wilmington, NC + Raleigh, NC
    faUSt - Baltimore, MD
    Phish - Raleigh, NC
    Thundercat - Raleigh, NC
    Soft Machine - Baltimore, MD
    Umphrey's McGee - Raleigh, NC
    Kikagaku Moyo - Carrboro, NC
    Colter Wall - Carrboro, NC
    Kamasi Washington - Raleigh, NC
    Last edited by mike_hunt; 11-26-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Steven Wilson - Keswick - April
    Utopia - Tower Theater - May
    Roger Hogdson - Spyglass Winery - July

IQ - 3 times! Montreal was the best show.
    Free Salamander Exhibit - Seaprog
    Accordo dei Contrari - 2 times Progstock & Wash. DC
    Moraine - multiple times locally in the Seattle area.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

ArcTanGent festival in the UK in august, hands down. i am on about that one seemingly all the time here … mind-blowing if not expanding in every imaginable sense. highlights: ROLO TOMASSi, BOSSK, AND SO i WATCH YOU FROM AFAR, GODMOTHER, VENNART, TiDES FROM NEBULA, ANATHEMA, THE BiG MASSiVE ORCHESTRA, MØL, ARCANE ROOTS (electronica set), MYRKUR, ALCEST, SHELLAC … that's my prog world at the moment.