Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Some Gnosis2000 questions

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I havent been able to get in touch with Dirk since my PC crashed and I lost my login info a year ago.

I have a couple hundred new ratings to do but cant do em
    If you're on FB, you might try sending him a DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No problems last night or today.

It's that much more bothersome that internal communication has been impossible between the member & admins (basically Dirk Evans) since the yahoo groups have been terminated in mid-December. I had sent a roundtable e-mail warning of this, but I haven't heard of Dirk and the other Admins find a solution, yet.
    It's pretty much just Dirk as an admin now. I don't think Mike or Tom are really involved as admins any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    If you're on FB, you might try sending him a DM.
    Yep, pretty much this is the quickest way to get in touch with Dirk. It worked for me couple last times I had an issue.

I emailed him both through the one listed on Gnosis and the one that was in the Yahoo groups... no response to either

I'll try FB
    anyone got a link to his page?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I assume it's this one

https://www.facebook.com/dirk.evans
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hello all:

One of the original Gnosis founders asked me to post this for him once he was made aware of this thread. Mike is a good friend of mine, but I do admit that he's been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead lately. I mean 700+ shows. It's a lot to take in. I humor him of course, and wish he's put on the new Sparks album, but I digress. Here is Mike's statement, unedited.

"Hello Progressive Ears, my brother Joe let me know there was still interest in Gnosis here. As one of the three founders he agreed to forward my thoughts as I haven’t had a PE account for many years and generally don’t come over here much. After going through the thread I’d just point to some of Tom’s earlier words and Cozy’s posts as they tend to be similar to my thoughts about it. But here are some other insights for whatever they are worth.

- Gnosis was not only created at a very different time in terms of its software and so forth but it was a very different time politically. I think it’s safe to say that all of the founders span the spectrum politically and that the environment now isn’t conducive to this stuff not getting in the way. I can’t speak for Tom but I can say I have had almost nothing to do with the administration of the site for so long I can barely remember when it stopped. At least a decade. For me keeping up with my ratings is entirely for the tiering mechanism, as it helps my collection not get out of hand. If it helps other people find new music that’s fantastic, but that is the extent of my interest at this point.

- I think it’s very safe to say that the amount of time Dirk spends on Gnosis is his own and it’s not fair to criticize how he spends that time. But I think after 15 or 20 years or however long it has been and not seeing necessary upgrades to the site including being able to correct the database or just a wholesale uplift to bring it into the present, well one can only come to the conclusion (and many of us did long ago) that this isn’t happening. Again, not a criticism of how anyone spends their time, just the reality. On the other hand Dirk has still kept up the grades nearly every day for all this time, so that’s quite a task in itself. But for me, I stepped down from admin a long time ago because progress stalled and it is what it is. My last contribution to the site was what I thought would be a new and different way to handle genres, but well let’s just say it didn’t happen.

- I will say that I remember the time I first sent my list of grades to Tom and he added his and that was the genesis of Gnosis. I will say that people just have different thoughts about the purpose of a website and I will say Tom did want it 100% prog but it was never my intention to have it that way. I was a child of the magazine Audion and that scope was how I originally thought of it. The trade off was always there could be a panel that could evaluate added titles to meet the parameters of the site or we could just say fuck it and not worry about it. While the latter approach means that there’s a lot of junk on the site I wouldn’t have there, I still find it preferable to having staffed a panel that would have foreseen endless genre arguments. In the entire time Gnosis has been in existence I’ve never regretted it. I don’t even give a fuck if people are annoyed that only 5 of us rate Grateful Dead shows. I actually like the idea there are little colonies of raters going in all sorts of directions. And somewhat ironically I think the consensus of the site tends to lean avant-prog and that’s actually not really my personal wheelhouse. I would like to think that this reflects on how we wanted to keep things as neutral as possible and let the data do the talking.

- In the greatest sense of things the most mature, open way to approach opinion is just to realize that everyone has theirs and to embrace that diversity. I am friends with a number of the old time raters and there’s a deep respect among a lot of us who don’t worry that one person likes this and another person doesn’t. Quite the contrary a lot of us have a deep sense of humor over snobbery and often wear the mantle for the sake of it because it’s hilarious, but it’s also self aware. But those who can hang with that are also usually the people who don’t care what other people think of their opinions. Trust me if you rankle over seeing someone low rate something you love just remember your own opinion is way more valid for yourself than anyone else’s. And Gnosis is extremely useful if you can just slip into that.

- And with that I’ll say that Dirk and Tom and all of the raters who especially were there early, all of their viewpoints are valid on how they see Gnosis. It is nothing if not adaptable. But I figured I’d get my take on record in this thread and let it fly!"

I really hope someone would create new modern version of Gnosis. I even considered about year ago starting that project myself but my own music writing hobby just takes currently too much time. And I cannot code shit so I would be only useful in design stuff (my profession is UI Designer).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Wow, great to have a long feedback from one of the Gnosis project founder.

Just to be clear, I think I am +/- well aware of Dirk's time & effort investment still today, and cannot thank him enough for it (Dirk for President ). What I am concerned is that the project is so chronophageous (time-consuming) enough that he cannot handle every facet of it. Dirk could actually ask the raters to see if some members would be interested in taking in some of the workload away from him.

There is still some movement inside Gnosis2K, though. TBH, I find that the genre tagging (slowly progressing) is not really needed (IMHO, of course >> fuck the eternal and never-ending genre discussions), but this is not a criticism. Personally, I am perfectly happy with the actual Gnosis formula as it is, and not really interested in a new form of Gnosis. As far as I can see/guess, what needs some improvement is some reactivity (I mean bilateral) and communication channels (especially now that yahoo groups are now dead), because that's where the frustrations can appear or be more visible (audible), but that part of the project is more likely also quite time-consuming, as well .

Sooo, I guess what is needed is new blood and helping Dirk out to take in the administration and daily upkeeps. FWIW; I could volunteer to take some chores away from him, despite my limited informatic skills.

So if there is any way to let Dirk that some of us could get involved a little more (other than rating & donating)....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Wow, great to have a long feedback from one of the Gnosis project founder.

Just to be clear, I think I am +/- well aware of Dirk's time & effort investment still today, and cannot thank him enough for it (Dirk for President ). What I am concerned is that the project is so chronophageous (time-consuming) enough that he cannot handle every facet of it. Dirk could actually ask the raters to see if some members would be interested in taking in some of the workload away from him.

There is still some movement inside Gnosis2K, though. TBH, I find that the genre tagging (slowly progressing) is not really needed (IMHO, of course >> fuck the eternal and never-ending genre discussions), but this is not a criticism. Personally, I am perfectly happy with the actual Gnosis formula as it is, and not really interested in a new form of Gnosis. As far as I can see/guess, what needs some improvement is some reactivity (I mean bilateral) and communication channels (especially now that yahoo groups are now dead), because that's where the frustrations can appear or be more visible (audible), but that part of the project is more likely also quite time-consuming, as well .

Sooo, I guess what is needed is new blood and helping Dirk out to take in the administration and daily upkeeps. FWIW; I could volunteer to take some chores away from him, despite my limited informatic skills.

So if there is any way to let Dirk that some of us could get involved a little more (other than rating & donating)....
    Well, I can volunteer too, with my informatic skills. I got my Master's in Computer Science the same time Gnosis2000 was developed. It should be enough, I hope.

Noticed that the Gnosis site has been down for the last couple of days. Anybody happen to know what gives?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's working ok for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's working ok for me.
    Hmm. Tried on all of my devices.

Edit: Just a browser issue--site works fine for me now.

Richard/Scrot,

I PM'd you about Gnosis... Looks like things are moving for you.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-03-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's good to hear things from an insider perspective. I've never been a rater myself(although I was invited once but declined due mainly to not having heard enough at that time)but I have sent in many suggestions over the years for albums that were missing(or seemed to be missing). At some point my suggestions started to get ignored but I never really took that personally; I just figured they were busy or maybe stopped seeing them. Anyway, it's a good site that I will continue to use as long as it's around.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I have over 100 new ratings to post but can not access my account
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    can not access my account
    Precisely.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM