Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stones announce 2019 US tour

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    All of their official live albums are flawed in some way- Ya Ya's is the best by some distance and has some terrific performances ('Love In Vain') but the overdubs are obvious in places (listen to 'Honky Tonk Women').
    That Rolling Stone review of Flashpoint seemed to suggest the overdubs were the main detracting point on that one.
    Love You Live is nothing special apart from the El Mocambo tracks on the 3rd side- again, too much post-production and it was a transitional period (Ron Wood's early days in the band).
    I used to work in a pub where the barmaid insisted on loading the multi-disc CD player with Stones album. I think out of six discs, at any given time, about three or four were Stones records, and Love You Live was one of them. She'd have the thing on random repeat, and whenever the openign track would come up, you'd get that stretch of Fanfare For The Common Man, crowd noise, and pyro, then it'd abruptly cut to something different.
    I like what's on Still Live but it's very short.
    I remember at one point trying to figure out if a decent double LP could have made up from the Tattoo You tour setlist. Going by what they used in the Let's Spend The Night Together film, there was probably at least another LP's worth of songs they could have chosen from, even if you left out the stuff that had been on either of the two previous live albums (keeping in mind that Love You Live repeats three songs-count em, THREE!-from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out).

No Security is surprisingly enjoyable but 'only songs we've never released on a live album' is inevitably a 'fans only' thing..

And what's wrong with that?! I'm getting tired of everyone cow-towing to the...whatever you'd call those not included in the "fans only" edict. I'm fine with a live album that's for "fans only".

RE;Love You Live. I've heard better versions of 'Fingerprint File' than what they included on LYL, with all that echo on Jagger's voice. And also interesting things like 'Wild Horses' (which I think disappeared from their setlists for a couple of decades after this) didn't make the cut. Again, I've heard a live version from '75 which had a pretty good solo from Wood.

I don't know how much Flashpoint was overdubbed...I don't like it enough to care, but I get the impression it was a very slick tour anyway. This was the first time they used the backing vocalists and digital keyboard sounds. Oh yeah, there was a rumour that the Atlantic City show was to be released soon...seen by some fans as the best on this tour.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-28-2018 at 11:36 AM.

There's plenty of archival live releases now, plus the stuff you can find in the darker places on the web. The Leeds University show from '71, Ladies and Gentlemen/The Unreleased Decca Live Album/Keep Your Motor Runnin' from '72, the Brussels Affair from '73, LA Forum '75, Some Girls in Texas '78, Leeds '82... Richards has complained about those live albums like Love You Live and Flashpoint, but there's so many shows available now that there's a huge cross-section of solid live releases.

Now if only Zeppelin and the Who could do the same...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Agreed with all that. Alas if this stuff had come out 20 years ago it would have gotten much more attention/sales. For instance The Stones had most of their BBC sessions officially released last year yet it seemed hardly anyone noticed.

They should do a mass-market 2cd set of Leeds and Brussels- both have only been in expensive sets. That would be their best live album, hands down, IMHO.

With The Who, it's possible that Fillmore 1968 show is the start of them opening the vaults- that came out of nowhere! I don't think Page will release anything else by Led Zeppelin now, he likes to 'alter' things much more than the Stones who have mostly left these more recent releases alone.

I don't think Page will release anything else by Led Zeppelin now, he likes to 'alter' things much more than the Stones who have mostly left these more recent releases alone.
    Page is his own worst enemy - he's gotta fiddle and tinker, too much of a perfectionist. And apparently Plant and Jones wield veto power over live shows they didn't like and they are pretty nit-picking as well. They need to do like The Stones, Dylan, and Springsteen did: hand the archives off and stop worrying.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'd love for the Stones to release the 100 Club show from 1986 which was played as a private gig dedicated to the memory of Ian Stewart. Supposedly, it was recorded so maybe that will show up. I like the From the Vaults releases they've done. The only one I have an issue with is the most recent one, Voodoo Lounge Uncut, from the Miami show of the tour. Nothing wrong with the performance but the mix is awful. The VHS that was released in edited form in '95 or '96 sounds way better than this current version.

The show from Hampton Roads, Virginia at the end of the US leg of the Tattoo You tour is outstanding as is Brussels '73, Light the Fuse '05, Sweet Summer Sun, Sticky Fingers Live, Texas '78 and the BBC Sessions. Good stuff.

I like Mick's solo output for the most part. Primitive Cool and Goddess in the Doorway being my favorites. All of Keith's are solid. Wood's don't get the attention they deserve. He's done some fine solo work over the years and Watts' jazz records are really nice too.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

[QUOTE=Adm.Kirk;859722]
    The show from Hampton Roads, Virginia at the end of the US leg of the Tattoo You tour
    Isn't that the show where some guy onstage and charged toward Keith, who whipped his Telecaster and used it as sort of a shield or whatever, then slips the guitar back on and keeps playing like nothing happened?
    Watts' jazz records are really nice too.
    I remember back in the mid 80's, when it seemed like The Stones would never tour again, Charlie put together a big band, which at time, he was saying was the loudest band he'd ever been played in. At the time I didn't understand what he meant by that, given that he played in The Rolling Stones! C'mon, how could a big band be louder than a rock group that plays arenas. Now, I think I understand what he meant was the actual volume level of the band, not the volume being put out by the PA system (difference of which I didn't understand at the time, being just a kid), say, in a rehearsal room, for instance.

What about Bill Wyman's solo records? I know he did a couple of those.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Isn't that the show where some guy onstage and charged toward Keith, who whipped his Telecaster and used it as sort of a shield or whatever, then slips the guitar back on and keeps playing like nothing happened?
    Yes. It was a PPV broadcast at the time, I think. It was Richards' birthday too. I think fans who have heard a lot of these shows say that was the best of the tour (some of it was used on Still Live), so it all came together for a significant show that was happily caught on tape.

The 40th anniversary feels like the line in the sand for me. After that the set-lists seem to have hardened. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that they did 'Fool To Cry' this year in the UK. I really like that song, some don't. And there were a few mid 60s songs in their 2012 O2 set-lists.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-29-2018 at 05:54 AM.

Yes. It was a PPV broadcast at the time, I think. It was Richards' birthday too. I think fans who have heard a lot of these shows say that was the best of the tour (some of it was used on Still Live), so it all came together for a significant show that was happily caught on tape.
    Yeah, you can hear Mick mention Hampton on Still Life, and then he greets the PPV audience, saying something like "Hope you're at home, smoke a few joints, drinking a few beers". That was actually the first Stones album I ever owned, though I probably haven't listened to it in more than 30 years. The record is listed in The 100 Worst Rock And Roll Records Of All Time, but I don't think it's that bad. It's certainly better than Got Live If You Want It (which the band even disowned, due to it's poor quality), that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, you can hear Mick mention Hampton on Still Life, and then he greets the PPV audience, saying something like "Hope you're at home, smoke a few joints, drinking a few beers". That was actually the first Stones album I ever owned, though I probably haven't listened to it in more than 30 years. The record is listed in The 100 Worst Rock And Roll Records Of All Time, but I don't think it's that bad. It's certainly better than Got Live If You Want It (which the band even disowned, due to it's poor quality), that's for sure.
    That's bullshit- a silly inclusion. The only thing I don't like about it is there's not enough of it..especially when they have 'Take The A Train' and 'Star Spangled Banner' on it!

Got Live If You Want It! is pretty sloppily done. I hate the two tacked-on studio outtakes slapped in the middle of it. I don't mind the rest of it, but would like the raw recordings far more, I suspect.

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;859752]
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

I remember back in the mid 80's, when it seemed like The Stones would never tour again, Charlie put together a big band, which at time, he was saying was the loudest band he'd ever been played in. At the time I didn't understand what he meant by that, given that he played in The Rolling Stones! C'mon, how could a big band be louder than a rock group that plays arenas. Now, I think I understand what he meant was the actual volume level of the band, not the volume being put out by the PA system (difference of which I didn't understand at the time, being just a kid), say, in a rehearsal room, for instance.

What about Bill Wyman's solo records? I know he did a couple of those.
    I guess Wyman's records are ok. I've got a couple. Nothing to write home about.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

That's bullshit- a silly inclusion.
    Well, it's a funny book, the two guys who wrote obviously have a sense of humor, and they went to great lengths to be imaginatively witty in dissing the records listed in the book. I love the line about Tales From Topographic Oceans, about Jon Anderson singing about the birds and the mountains. There's a line to the effect of "The birds at least could fly away. The mountains weren't so fortunate. They had to stay and listen to Jon Anderson sing".

The only thing I don't like about it is there's not enough of it..especially when they have 'Take The A Train' and 'Star Spangled Banner' on it!
    As I said, it could have easily been a double LP, if they had wanted it to be. Even if you cut out all the songs that had been on Ya-Ya's and Love You Live, it looks like they still would have had enough songs for a second LP. And the fact that Love You Live does repeat songs that were on Ya-Ya's, it's clear they weren't above doing that sort of thing, so, for instance, you could have repeated You Can't Always Get What You Want, as one example.
    Got Live If You Want It! is pretty sloppily done. I hate the two tacked-on studio outtakes slapped in the middle of it. I don't mind the rest of it, but would like the raw recordings far more, I suspect.
    I think Got Live If You Want It was another album that the barmaid at the Pub had on the CD player, as I remember a hyper fast version of Under My Thumb which wasn't even recognizable until Mick starts singing.

Heard today that the Tour has been Cancelled? Mick needs an operation.....anyone have more information?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Heard today that the Tour has been Cancelled? Mick needs an operation.....anyone have more information?
    Just read this thread as a piece was shown on the news. Just said Mick was going to be okay.

Very scant on details, then again Mick is always scant on details.

I very much hope there's a happy outcome here- sounds a little worrying, really.

I think fans will have to accept that all these guys will be coming to the end of the road. It's hard to still perform at this level at 75 and up.

Dennis DeYoung is 72. Why don't they have him sing in Jagger's place until he is better? Would the fans even notice?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    My guess based on needing time to rest: routine heart surgery.

So....maybe you Brits can answer this.....Does Mick have to get on waiting lists for a surgery like the other citizens or are there Espre$$ lanes for the rich & powerful?

A "notable" fellow on Vancouver Island (Canada) a few years ago needed heart surgery....He chartered a plane to the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. My buddy was a paramedic and he flew down on the flight to retrieve him after surgery. Buddy still talks about the First Class service.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Very scant on details, then again Mick is always scant on details.
    Since he's being told by doctors that he can't perform for three months, I have to assume it's something to do with his vocal cords or throat. Anything anywhere else probably wouldn't sideline him.

I hope it's just nodules and not cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Since he's being told by doctors that he can't perform for three months, I have to assume it's something to do with his vocal cords or throat. Anything anywhere else probably wouldn't sideline him.

I hope it's just nodules and not cancer.
    I doubt a doctor would announce he expects a full recovery if Jagger had throat cancer where the 5 year survival rate is 20%.

Drudge Report is reporting this:

WORLD EXCLUSIVE MON APR 01 2019 10:31:29 ET: Rocker Mick Jagger is set to undergo heart valve replacement surgery in NYC this week, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal... MORE... Jagger is expected to make a full recovery and will be back on stage by summer, sources explain. The procedure has a 95% success rate. And Jagger, 75, is in extraordinary physical condition..

With all the calisthenics Jagger does onstage, I find it hard to believe that there is anything wrong with his heart...other than its being black and owned by Satan.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    With all the calisthenics Jagger does onstage, I find it hard to believe that there is anything wrong with his heart...other than its being black and owned by Satan.
    Well, it is the Drudge Report.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The devil has a great sense of humor if the only one in this band that has heart issues is the only one that never had a serious drug problem.