5/18 – Santa Clara, CA @ Levi’s Stadium
    5/22 – Seattle, WA @ CenturyLink Field
    5/26 – Denver, CO @ Broncos Stadium at Mile High
    5/31 – Washington, D.C. @ FedExField
    6/4 – Philadelphia, PA @ Lincoln Financial Field
    6/8 – Foxborough, MA @ Gillette Stadium
    6/13 – East Rutherford, NJ @ MetLife Stadium
    6/21 – Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

Hmmm...maybe it's time for another trip to Philadelphia and/or Chicago.

I have never seen them and I feel like I should before they are gone. Chicago would be the closest for me. I am thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have never seen them and I feel like I should before they are gone. Chicago would be the closest for me. I am thinking about it.
    I was thinking the same thing. If they were playing Pittsburgh, I might have gone. Of course, I'm writing this prior to seeing ticket prices.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

At this point, it's gotta be like dropping half a mortgage payment to watch a grizzled old chimp at the zoo just absently poking his dong at the glass.

I saw them way past their prime - and that was 30 years ago, and yknow? They were really good!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I saw them way past their prime - and that was 30 years ago, and yknow? They were really good!
    I remember kicking myself for missing the 1989 tour. I think I had a choice between The Who and The Rolling Stones that summer, and being a Who fanatic who was too young to see them even in 1982, I jumped on that one immediately.

My recollection is that I expected The Stones to be "not very good", so I thought "Why bother, the tickets will be too expensive anyway?". Of course that was back when ticket prices rarely went over 40 bucks, but for 10th grader, that was still "a lot of money". Then I was upset when I started hearing reviews that suggested they were playing good shows, and they were also pulling out stuff like 2000 Light Years From Home. Oy!

I think this time, I'm gonna have to go, even if with all the backup musicians, I bet it'll still be good, and I'll be so far away from the stage, I wont' be able to see what Mick and Keith look like.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hmmm, no New York dates.

I'm fortunate to have caught them in '65 (Got Live...) and '69 (Ya Ya's, a week or so before Altamont). Good times.

Judging from a fairly recent concert film, Richards seems "past it"; Wood carried them and sounded good.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 11-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour - last one with Wyman, right?

I think it was 1986 or so?

Tickets were something like $30. I had horrible seats, but...Jumbotrons!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    At this point, it's gotta be like dropping half a mortgage payment to watch a grizzled old chimp at the zoo just absently poking his dong at the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I don't know. I have the DVD from their Hyde Park show a couple of years ago and I think it kicks ass. Mick is in amazing physical shape for his age, and the rest of the guys all still play well.

1989, and yes, it was the last tour with Bill Wyman.

I saw that tour twice too. I remember when the cool kids were calling it the Steel Wheelchairs Tour because the Stones were seen as over the hill. And the only one over 50 was Bill Wyman!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I saw that tour twice too. I remember when the cool kids were calling it the Steel Wheelchairs Tour because the Stones were seen as over the hill. And the only one over 50 was Bill Wyman!
    I definitely remember the Steel Wheelchairs line.

It was a great show and I remember being impressed at how Keith was just a rock 'n' roll riff MACHINE; it was like he oozed Chuck Berry rhythms....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The only way I would see The Rolling Stones is if I could get in a time machine and go see them in 1981 on the 'Tattoo You' tour.

Out of the three times I've seen the Stones, I think the most recent, in the late '90s, may have been the best. It was the "Bridges to Babylon" tour. Incredible stagecraft and spectacle: flaming torches in the audience (very welcome on a cold, wet night outdoors), giant inflatable honky-tonk women, the unstoppable ball of energy that is Mick Jagger bellowing his way through a two-hour set while running up and down stairs on the multi-tiered backdrop, and most of all, the bridge. Midway through the show, a bridge emerged from the main stage, extended out over the front section of seats, and connected with a "nightclub" stage in the middle of the stadium floor, where the Stones did a mini-set of roadhouse rock 'n' roll. I can't imagine the engineering and logistics that went into making that possible every night on a tour, not least that the bridge had to be sturdy and secure enough that the Stones could safely walk over it.

It was a drizzly evening, and it rained all through Pearl Jam's opening set and all through the interval. Just as the Stones were coming on, the rain stopped. Before taking his place onstage, Keef stepped up to the front microphone, looked up to the heavens and said "Okay, we got a deal, right?" Sure enough, the rain held off until the end of the show! Guess it's not only the Devil he has connections with.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

If we are fantasizing about time travel it would be '72, when the set list was strictly Beggars Banquet through Exile with Jumpin' Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women. Shorter sets but those were the shows that made the legend.

The Live at the Tokyo Dome from 1990 is supposedly Wyman's last show. It's the "big band" Stones but it's a damn good show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Midway through the show, a bridge emerged from the main stage, extended out over the front section of seats, and connected with a "nightclub" stage in the middle of the stadium floor, where the Stones did a mini-set of roadhouse rock 'n' roll.
    Yes. I remember the reviews of that and how good the whole show (and especially this part of the show) was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I can't imagine the engineering and logistics that went into making that possible every night on a tour, not least that the bridge had to be sturdy and secure enough that the Stones could safely walk over it.
    I am neighbors with a man who in the 80s and 90s used to do exactly this sort of set up and tear down. As he said to me, "If you need someone 60 feet in the air with a wrench, pliers and screwdriver who will absolutely NOT drop any of these things onto the people working below me, I'm your guy".

that's a great Keith story too!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I have a friend that was at one of those shows with the mini-stage. His seats were right by it and he said he was complaining that they were too far from the stage. Then he figured it out. He said it was like having the Stones playing in a small club (with 20000 sitting behind you).

From what I've read, Keith still brings it but with varying results. Some nights he's great and on others not as much. Reportedly, he's been more consistent over the last several years. Apparently, this is due to the medication he's had to take since his fall from the tree a number of years back that resulted in surgery. Wood has definitely been shouldering more of the load too. He's playing terrific now that he's beaten his demons. I think Wood knew that if he didn't get off the booze he wouldn't be able to shoulder the load, but he has and he does.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I definitely remember the Steel Wheelchairs line.
    I can't remember if it was the 89 tour or a later one, but David Letterman had a top ten list once, which was rejected names for the upcoming Rolling Stones tour. "Steel Wheelchairs" was one of them, but my favorite was "The Rolling Stones! LIVE! Plus: Keith Richards!".
    It was a great show and I remember being impressed at how Keith was just a rock 'n' roll riff MACHINE; it was like he oozed Chuck Berry rhythms....
    The really crazy thing is how many of those great riffs are basically variations on the same open G riff. Songs like You Can't Always Get What You Want, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up and I forget what else are basically variations on the same guitar lick (as is, for the record, the Ace Frehley song Talk To Me).

It's kinda intriguing how you can take a riff, change the key and tempo, put the accents in a different place, play it backwards, and it becomes almost unrecognizable.

My favourite live rock recording ever is the Brussels Affair bootleg from 1973. The versions of 'Midnight Rambler' and 'Street Fighting Man' (this was actually from Wembley) are jaw-dropping.

Those tours with Mick Taylor were their live peak. But they remained one of rock's best live acts through to and including the late 90s, IMHO. Even that No Security live album has some surprisingly vital performances on it.

I've never seen them but I wouldn't do so now- the time has passed. The playing is just too ragged...after all, these guys are in their mid 70s.

I remember being impressed at how Keith was just a rock 'n' roll riff MACHINE; it was like he oozed Chuck Berry rhythms....
    Yes, he is the best at that. He wasn't called 'the human riff' for nothing.

That tour was 1989/90.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    The only way I would see The Rolling Stones is if I could get in a time machine and go see them in 1981 on the 'Tattoo You' tour.
    That would be my preferred show, too, actually, based on what's in the Let's Spend The Night Together film, Duke Ellington as play on music, the band kicks off with Under My Thumb, ends with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, and most of what I would want to hear the Stones play in between (well, within reason, one can't expect them to do something like Yesterday's Papers or Ride On Baby).

Plus, Keith playing Telecasters all night long (on later tours, he started playing an assortment of different makes and models, though I believe he still uses a couple Telecasters for the open G songs). Yeah, I know, which guitar Keith plays is irrelevant, but I dug that black Telecaster Custom he used for the standard tuned numbers during that era.
    If we are fantasizing about time travel it would be '72, when the set list was strictly Beggars Banquet through Exile with Jumpin' Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women.
    Yeah, but then you'd miss out on stuff like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Let's Spend The Night Together, Under my Thumb, etc. At least for me, those songs are just as important as the Beggar's through Exile arc.

The Live at the Tokyo Dome from 1990 is supposedly Wyman's last show. It's the "big band" Stones but it's a damn good show.
    I think they filmed several concerts on that tour. I don't think I ever saw the Tokyo Dome deal, but I remember there was a film called The Stones At The Max, which was shown only in I-max theaters, which I guess was some sort of super panarama whatever format at the time. I just saw that again a few years ago on PBS.

And I also remember there was a concert shown on TV, I think maybe originally pay-per-view, but I'm sure I saw it on free TV. It had Clapton and a few others sitting in on various songs, and I believe there was a section in the middle of the concert that was in 3-D, yeah, you had to wear those stupid glasses to see the 3-D effects. I think the 3-D part of the show included 2000 Light Years From Home, Paint It Black, and I forget what else.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Hmmm, no New York dates.

I'm fortunate to have caught them in '65 (Got Live...) and '69 (Ya Ya's, a week or so before Altamont). Good times.
    Was this the Madison Square Garden show in the Gimme Shelter film?