Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Rolling Stones announce 2019 US tour

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Don Covay.

I see that it was the first time they've played it in 50 years, since that Hyde Park show.
    Was not familiar with it. I heard Covay's version on YT. Good song. Early 60s soul. I do remember Sookie Sookie. I still haven't heard the Steppenwolf version.

'See Saw' is probably his best known track, I guess.

'She Said Yeah' is another great cover on Out Of Our Heads which presumably hasn't been played in decades. Their ultimate 'garage rock' track, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'See Saw' is probably his best known track, I guess.

'She Said Yeah' is another great cover on Out Of Our Heads which presumably hasn't been played in decades. Their ultimate 'garage rock' track, I'd say.
    Just heard: She Said Yeah......Stones. it's raw, punky, garage Stones......

Yeah, that's some primal rock n' roll

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There were quite a few covers of that Larry Williams song back then- The Animals, The Hollies etc. But The Stones one is by far the best IMHO, thanks to that buzzsaw guitar.

Beyond Jagger's 'political' joke which has attracted press attention, the latest show had only two real surprises- 'She's So Cold' and 'Play With Fire'. Both have been in the setlists over the years but are not regulars. The rest of the set was pretty routine.

I heard this the other day and went in search of it.

It was a b-side from Voodoo Lounge. I started scrolling through Trader's Den for stuff from the Voodoo Lounge/Stripped era and finally found it on a torrent called Stripped Companion. The sound on that one is pretty great. I also found the Brixton Academy show in full and as anytime the Stones play a small venue it's about as intense as they could get in the 90s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That was used on some soundtrack or other in the 90s.

I like a fair bit of Voodoo Lounge. It's 'retro' but I think that direction suits them more than some of the more market-chasing stuff on there like 'Suck On The Jugular'.

Today in History .....

July 12 1962 the Rolling Stones played their first-ever gig at the Marguee Club in London
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

There are those early demos- 'Diddley Daddy', 'Road Runner', 'Bright Lights Big City' etc. They sound remarkably quaint now! That first EP and the 'Come On' single are much the same. Jagger's voice toughened up and it made all the difference.