Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Rolling Stones announce 2019 US tour

'See Saw' is probably his best known track, I guess.

'She Said Yeah' is another great cover on Out Of Our Heads which presumably hasn't been played in decades. Their ultimate 'garage rock' track, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'See Saw' is probably his best known track, I guess.

'She Said Yeah' is another great cover on Out Of Our Heads which presumably hasn't been played in decades. Their ultimate 'garage rock' track, I'd say.
    Just heard: She Said Yeah......Stones. it's raw, punky, garage Stones......

Yeah, that's some primal rock n' roll

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I heard this the other day and went in search of it.

It was a b-side from Voodoo Lounge. I started scrolling through Trader's Den for stuff from the Voodoo Lounge/Stripped era and finally found it on a torrent called Stripped Companion. The sound on that one is pretty great. I also found the Brixton Academy show in full and as anytime the Stones play a small venue it's about as intense as they could get in the 90s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Today in History .....

July 12 1962 the Rolling Stones played their first-ever gig at the Marguee Club in London
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I got this rec on the Hoffman forum - perfect if you want a bit of that rootsy Stones vibe with maybe a little Johnny Thunders thrown in.

https://gregstackhouseprevost.bandca...versal-vagrant

Yes this is a Rollin' Stones thread, but Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for them in the early 70s.........
    Listenin' to "Nuthin' Fancy" by Skynyrd. What a great album. It's blues, country, rock, and soul. Just killer.

And now I'm listening to Blue And Lonesome......Stones. It's good but brickwalled AF.

I watched the Havana concert on AXSTV and it was pretty entertaining. Seeing Keith and Woody on acoustic guitars, doing "You Got the Silver", was really special. And that Sasha Allan, who duets with Mick on "Gimme Shelter", is dynamite. But it is just one big slick production. "Midnight Rambler" has some good musical moments but it's kind of a campy serial killer singalong now with everything nailed down and coordinated. Something is missing.

I popped in the DVD of Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones. Ah, 1972, when this was all serious business. I played "All Down the Line" and then "Midnight Rambler". I think that technically, the bass player Daryl Jones is better than Wyman. But there's something that happens in ADtL when that Wyman kicks in that bass line and Watts slams the hammer down. And on "Rambler" I note that the guitars have a fatter, rougher sound - both Keith and Mick Taylor are on Les Pauls. The song itself is just so much more intense. I get the feeling no one knows how long that middle section will play out, how long will Mick whip the stage until he growls "Every Body Got To Go". You don't see Keith or Mick smiling, waving to the crowd. They are locked in and it's menacing, on a much smaller stage and under blood red lights. Serious rock n' roll.

^The Brussels Affair version is, for my taste, the greatest bit of live rock 'n' roll ever captured on tape.

I agree with all that, really. I think the guitar tones are quite thin now, and Richards used to have the nastiest guitar tone in rock IMHO.

They haven't really been the same since Wyman left. I thought they found a nice balance between old Stones and stadium slickness in the 90s, though...they were still playing well. The set-lists weren't yet on autopilot either. That mid 90s Voodoo Lounge live DVD (Miami I think) has a great run of 'It's All Over Now', 'Sweet Virginia', 'Stop Breaking Down' and 'Who Do You Love'.