Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIO Records

As for Kyrie Eleison, my first exposure to it was the vinyl reissue that was just out as I was beginning to collect worldwide Prog-Rock. I like the songs, but the execution is poor, and the production might be the worst I've ever heard. It sounds like it was recorded in a well with the wooden cover still on top. I have the MIO box, but I can't recall how much they were able to clean up the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I remember a conversation I had with Meidad many years ago, where he told me that MIO had said no to release a Swedish band (dont remember the name), because they wanted to donate an eventual profit to a Palestinian organisation. The band didn't get it, and he was rather surprised to say the least how ignorant or insensitive they were.
    At the time Meidad lived in Tel Aviv (afaik) where coffeeshops and busses recently had been bombed by suicide bombers, etc. - so he was not really in the mood . . .
    So perhaps what Scrotum is suggesting of "inactively sorting under a flag" isn't so "inactive". I am not suggesting anything myself, since I simply don't know. Unless we get Axis to explain their attitude, or have some more definite information, it's a bit unfair to make assumptions. It could very well be the case Richard is describing, there's plenty of pseudo-leftist empathy of this kind in Greece.

Also, I understand we don't talk politics here. It's an interesting discussion to have, but not in here. Even subtle characterizations are bound to remain suspended in the air, unless we get into dangerous, political territory.

On my part I can only say that if I boycotted all products coming from oppressive states I wouldn't own a single record of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    On my part I can only say that if I boycotted all products coming from oppressive states I wouldn't own a single record of music.
    Certainly not from the 60s-80s Eastern bloc, 70s South Americas or several African states.

As for the 70s Greek phenomenon, at least a handful of fairly well-known acts obviously sought refuge from the military dictatorship at home by fleeing to Paris (Aphrodite's, Axis, Kostas Tournas etc.), a move initiated originally by M. Theodorakis already at the offset of the coup d'etát in '67. But yes, politics unspoken or not, in the field of (underground) culture I find the idea of a 'national ban' somewhat banale.

But hey, MIO got to release som fantastic stuff all the same!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

But hey, MIO got to release som fantastic stuff all the same!
    I am not very familiar with it (yes, you've heard that one before...) But it does get a lot of coverage in Greece - the Ben Israel was some sort of a sensation here - and good distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Something must have happened that caused Meidad to lose his taste for the reissues game rather suddenly.
    re-read #17.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    it does get a lot of coverage in Greece - the Ben Israel was some sort of a sensation here - and good distribution.
    From what I understand, there's still a quite substantial psych-rock underground thing going on in both Athens and Thessaloniki. The YouTube spot on "Her Arms Embraced the Sun" by Purple Overdose has attained some 702,000 views, which is a preposterous count taken the band and its music into consideration, and they're merely the tip of the iceberg. I mean, with this level of interest in "subcultural" rock of allsorts, how wouldn't a release as outrageous as the Danny Ben Israel create a stir?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    re-read #17.
    That one negative experience would cause him to shelve the whole label is...unfortunate.

Take it from someone who shelved a label; being jerked around and worse by people you think you have a good and honest relationship with blows.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

^ Perhaps one -watershed- negative experience which may/may not have sucked the oxygene from moneyballoona as well as loona, Moe.

^ Perhaps one -watershed- negative experience which may/may not have sucked the oxygene from moneyballoona as well as loona, Moe.
    I don't even know what you are saying, but I know there's truth in it!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Good point, Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    When I finally put an ear of this "most-overrated album evah", I returned it to Collignon (Music Emporium) the next week (after a second spin, to confirm)... what an insufferable and amateurish turd appealing only to go-go symph weenies.... clearly the kind of "prog" that brought so much water and wind to the punk's mills.
    I don't think it was an MIO release, though, given that this was in the late 90's.
    It would have been the Indigo release, then (which was the band’s own label, I believe). The MIO release was a Collected Works three-disc box set incorporating the album proper, the demo release The Blind Windows Suite and a never-before-released live recording. More Kyrie Eleison than you could ever want, and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    As for Kyrie Eleison, my first exposure to it was the vinyl reissue that was just out as I was beginning to collect worldwide Prog-Rock. I like the songs, but the execution is poor, and the production might be the worst I've ever heard. It sounds like it was recorded in a well with the wooden cover still on top. I have the MIO box, but I can't recall how much they were able to clean up the sound.
    Pretty sure the crummy sound quality goes back to the original source tape, and because of GIGO, there’s not much you can do about it. It ain’t exactly Emergency! or Third that we’re talking about here, so I wouldn’t expend too much energy in trying to clean it up if that was my job.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

From what I understand, there's still a quite substantial psych-rock underground thing going on in both Athens and Thessaloniki. The YouTube spot on "Her Arms Embraced the Sun" by Purple Overdose has attained some 702,000 views, which is a preposterous count taken the band and its music into consideration, and they're merely the tip of the iceberg. I mean, with this level of interest in "subcultural" rock of allsorts, how wouldn't a release as outrageous as the Danny Ben Israel create a stir?
    I poked ultra-busy Spacefreak on this and hopefully he will share his light, before I state my own, far less erudite opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Completely out of the business. Every long once in a while he buys something from us.
    Hello Steve and Gang!.

These messages have made me think about the old and good times of discussion at the Avant Prog (yahoo) group: Meidad was a very active member!!.

;-)

Few corrections:

The swidish group i couldn't agree to their terms was:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0LTBMqpVg

Luc henrion got released AFAIK:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG42A6pj-jE

Axis didn't go because of rights not any political agenda.
    Urban sax i am happy i didn't release.

I wanted to release also these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxd4HSeaQFQ&t=478s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOQrN-j1tQ

i met Jacques T. and talked about it but he was SO wasted..... nothing came out of it.

Wanted to two Verto:

and also this fantastic album:

cover_191214542017_r.jpg

and many others....

Was a good journey MIO.