Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Djam Karet - What is Your Favorite, Where Should I Go Next?

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    One of my hands-down favorites is Ascension. There is more acoustic and high weirdness going on, but it is a perfect mix to my ears.
    It's awesome (and OOP).

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Post #7, baby!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    You can get Ascension on Bandcamp, if nowhere else.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I didn't know DK recorded so much records. I should probably investigate further in their catalog. I only have Reflections... and Suspension... wich I found technically very good but somewhat cold and clinical (I mean lacking emotion). Do their other records stylistically follow the same path ?

on a side note:
    DK related band Herd Of Instinct is excellent as well with a bunch of albums to their credit
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

They’ve always rather passed me by, though I had Reflections on CD back in the 90s. By rights I should have liked it based on the constituent parts but it never really clicked and I didn’t keep it. Often thought I should give them another shot though, so I’ve picked up a couple of albums based on recs herein.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    on a side note:
    DK related band Herd Of Instinct is excellent as well with a bunch of albums to their credit
    Do they show influence of the album by that name from Talk Talk splinter group ‘O’rang? That would certainly interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    You can get Ascension on Bandcamp, if nowhere else.
    There are also copies for sale on Discogs that won’t break the bank.

Another vote for The Devouring here. But I've been listening to New Dark Age a lot lately and it might be my new favorite DK album.
    The Prog Corner

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    They’ve always rather passed me by, though I had Reflections on CD back in the 90s. By rights I should have liked it based on the constituent parts but it never really clicked and I didn’t keep it. Often thought I should give them another shot though, so I’ve picked up a couple of albums based on recs herein.
    One of my first mail order discs, must've been early '90s after i got a mailing from the band.

Visited Rhino records in Claremont last year, Chuck Oken's store. Picked up a couple of DK titles at a good price and was cashed out by his son.

Allow me to add to the voices clamoring for The Devouring. It’s everything that’s good about the band crammed into one disc. I am fond of Reflections From the Firepool as well (still have my copy with the original cover). I haven’t heard it in a while, but I recall The Ritual Continues being pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Visited Rhino records in Claremont last year, Chuck Oken's store. Picked up a couple of DK titles at a good price and was cashed out by his son.
    I visited there when I was at the first ProgWest festival, which was also held in Claremont. First place I ever saw “reissues” on the Tachika “label” for sale, effectively confirming who I believe Tachika to really be. Hint: it’s not Chuck.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I didn't know DK recorded so much records. I should probably investigate further in their catalog. I only have Reflections... and Suspension... wich I found technically very good but somewhat cold and clinical (I mean lacking emotion). Do their other records stylistically follow the same path ?
    Stylistically their albums can be very different from each other. There are definitely some that I have liked more than others.

Update: I purchased The Devouring and Live at the Orion through Bandcamp, Live at Nearfest from Laser
    Last edited by Jerjo; 11-29-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Nice
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I think Heavy Soul Sessions has become my favourite. Still love Reflections From The Firepool and Burning The Hard City from the early days and would add Still No Commercial Potential and The Trip along with A New Dark Age and Recollection Harvest. A top seven with The Devouring next and I don't have their very latest which sounds like something I'd really like.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    on a side note:
    Excellent recomendation. Herd of Instinct's music is dark, complex, dense, and instrumental with a nod toward King Crimson.

Try Recollection Harvest too. A little more of a low-key and folk-influenced album. I think it's underrated.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...