Thread: Dewa Budjana - Mahandini(Feat: Minnemann and Rudess)

Dewa Budjana - Mahandini(Feat: Minnemann and Rudess)

Per Leo Moonjune:

Dewa Budjana brand news studio album "Mahandini" is coming out in January. Very excited about this one. Due to my tours in Japan with PFM and Levin Brothers last January, I wasn't able to assist this great recording session in Los Angeles. But I was there with the spirit. I truly believe that all great albums should always be recorded live in studio, and only some minor overdubs, post-productions and occasional guest soloist should be added later. There is nothing better than feeling the right vibe when everybody is in the same room. - Dewa Budjana (guitars), Jordan Rudess (keyboards), Mohini Dey (bass guitar, konnakol), Marco Minnemann (drums). Special guests: John Frusciante (vocals on two tracks), Mike Stern (guest guitar soloist on line track), Soimah Pancawati (vocals on one track). Produced by Dewa Budjana, except for two tracks that are produced by Jimmy Haslip. All compositions by Dewa Budjana, except two compositions by John Frusciante (of Red Hot Chili Peppers hall of fame). Executive production by Lemmy Ibrahim and Djundi Karjadi. Co-executive production by MoonJune Music for International releases outside of Indonesia: (KING Records, Japan) and MoonJune Records (rest of the world).

I have several of his albums, love 'em all. I'll surely be picking this up, thanks for the heads up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This should be great! I've listened to one of his albums and loved it. I have a few others too, from a sale that MoonJune ran, just haven't got to them yet.

He's pretty good. Just getting into him now. Picked up his last one during the sale.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very surprising to me that John Frusciante is involved in this. I wonder how that happened?

I read some feedback on the fusion sight. They sort of liked it but the vocals ruin it. It's not like he's going to have a single or something.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Really excited about this release. Saw Mohini play at Bass Bash in January with Marco, then do a solo thing at NAMM. A force of nature and a really nice person.

Vinyl ordered, a little pricey, and 27+ minutes per side, hope it sounds good. Meantime, I can download the files and make a CD-R.

Oh, you can listen to the whole album (and buy it) here:

https://dewabudjana-moonjunerecords....m/mahandini-hd

Haven't heard it, but have heard some less than stellar reviews, mainly regarding unwanted vocals. Comments?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

John Frusciante is great and so is the Indonesian singer!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    John Frusciante is great and so is the Indonesian singer!
    Frank Sinatra had a good voice but I don't want him singing on my fusion cd.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Jaco Pastorius would have loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Very surprising to me that John Frusciante is involved in this. I wonder how that happened?
    This album is the most near straight progressive (jazz)rock(metal) Budjana made.

In the press-info there's this piece on the Frusciante-meetings:
    For the first time Dewa Budjana plays a song composed by a guest musician on his albums: it is the opening Crowded, which has been written by the rock and guitar legend John Frusciante. The two became friends earlier than this recording. Dewa Budjana says: "The first time we met it was on 2015, my International manager Leonardo Pavkovic and guitarist and former edktor of Guitar Player Magazine, Barry Cleveland, introduced me to John. He is a great person, every time I went to Los Angeles, he always asked to meet up for dinner and we talked about music. On this album I re-arranged his songs, and he sang on Crowded and Zone." The dramatic piano and guitar opening supports Frusciante’s tense singing until a passionate chorus driven by crunchy guitars bursts in. The band shuffles the cards with clever harmonic modulations into the tasteful prog bridge in the middle of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This album is the most near straight progressive (jazz)rock(metal) Budjana made.

In the press-info there's this piece on the Frusciante-meetings:

It was a surprise for me too at start, but consider Leonardo Pavkovic has a deepest esteem for late Frusciante's solo works -anyone familiar with those? And I won't be surprised to see him again showing up in future MoonJune recordings. But this is just my two pennies here.

I love last track, Zone: Frusciante's vocals reminded me a lot of Jack Bruce, but that's probably because I should have played too many times Rope Ladder to the Moon!

BTW, funny enough, when I read this post I am playing Barry Cleveland's Hologramatron

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think Budjana is an excellent Guitar player... but I agree with Ed
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think Budjana is an excellent Guitar player... but I agree with Ed
    Gotta agree here. The non vocal tracks are pretty great. The JF tracks are pretty poor overall IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

A little something I wrote up on the album for Allaboutjazz.com:
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/mahandi...h-kunzmann.php
    a great listen imo. Loving the raw guitar sound.

Never heard of this guy so I checked it out - super impressed. Not my usual cup off tea but so what? This is awesome stuff.
    The Prog Corner