Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly - "Friendship"

Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly - "Friendship"

I like! So far, so good! The line between Beardfish and Gungfly seems to be even more obscured here, which is not a bad thing imo. I figured this album needed a proper thread of its own. Looking forward to delving in more. Go Rikard!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Waiting. Hopefully it’ll be in before the holiday.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My vinyl copy just arrived today! Can't wait to unwrap it and give it a spin this evening, hopefully.

I ordered it (together with the new Gösta berlings Saga). Expecting it to arrive any day soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I like! So far, so good! The line between Beardfish and Gungfly seems to be even more obscured here, which is not a bad thing imo. I figured this album needed a proper thread of its own. Looking forward to delving in more. Go Rikard!
    Sounds like a must-get. Thanks for the info!
    Regards,

Duncan

Waiting for for my vinyl copy, along with the new The Tangent (Rikard is a former member) and a few others from Laser's Edge. Saw Gungfly at Night of Prog in July, great rocking show despite spotty sound mix. Said hi to Rikard and the guys while getting a Wobbler album autographed (they were sharing the autograph tent).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    The Tangent (Rikard is a former member)
    ???
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ???
    Well, I'm pretty sure he was in the live version of the band at some point(s), not sure if he has played on studio albums.

I looked it up, and now I remember, The Tangent was Andy + Beardfish briefly around 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I looked it up, and now I remember, The Tangent was Andy + Beardfish briefly around 10 years ago.
    Oh I see... I thought perhaps you were talking about Rikard doing the guest narration on the Le Sacre Du Travail album. I don't think much came of that live 'version' of the band back in 2008, I just looked it up as well and I don't even remember it happening!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Finally sitting down with the LP, and a glass of 1792 Bottled In Bond bourbon.

I love this guy. All the Beardfish albums have at least several songs that appeal to me, and his solo work has been very enjoyable too. I’m beginning to wonder if he can ever do any wrong — hopefully not!

Also: What a voice! I’m continually amazed at what a skilled vocalist he is, while still being a monster keyboardist too. It just ain’t fair, man.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What a voice! I’m continually amazed at what a skilled vocalist he is, while still being a monster keyboardist too. It just ain’t fair, man.
    Not forgetting his superb guitar work. I haven't picked this one up yet, but will be sure to.

He is a great presence in the live Big Big Train too, as of course is in the studio band, but on stage he brings a vibrancy to proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I’m beginning to wonder if he can ever do any wrong — hopefully not!
    I hear you there! I love pretty much everything the guy does.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh I see... I thought perhaps you were talking about Rikard doing the guest narration on the Le Sacre Du Travail album. I don't think much came of that live 'version' of the band back in 2008, I just looked it up as well and I don't even remember it happening!
    It was announced as a thing, but as I recall it fell apart before it really happened. I thought from the announcement that it seemed unlikely to really happen, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was announced as a thing, but as I recall it fell apart before it really happened. I thought from the announcement that it seemed unlikely to really happen, for some reason.
    They actually played one gig in this configuration IIRC. Tillison was pretty excited and wanted more than just a one-off but it fell apart pretty quickly.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

aha! I knew that voice was familiar.

have yet to hear any of the Gungfly stuff...I'm still making my way through the Beardfish records, why they all gotta be so long!?? really dig it all though. will have to pick this up shortly.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW although I am a huge fan of all things Rikard I must say I find the new album a little disappointing. Just not a lot of meat on the bones. On the other hand the new Tangent album "Proxy" is total win. This is what Progressive Rock should sound like in 2019. Forward looking yet traditionally comfortable like your favorite pair of slippers

Is anyone else reminded of the theme from The Trailer Park Boys when they hear If You Fall Part 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI6Drn3OA70
    <sig out of order>

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

fify

Regards,

Duncan

^ First time I've given these guys a listen. That is a great track.

This guy is very talented and the music just seems to flow out of him! I quite like "Friendship". The piano at the end of the title track seems like a "hats off" to Gentle Giant (Schooldays from Three Friends), and the track has also a similar theme to GG's Three Friends.
    I could do without "Stone Cold", though, which sounds like an unnecesseary complicated Bon Jovi Track.

All in all it's a very solid album that deserves many more spins!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ First time I've given these guys a listen. That is a great track.
    You familiar with Beardfish? One of my fav bands of the past decade or thereabouts. Gungfly is great also.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You familiar with Beardfish? One of my fav bands of the past decade or thereabouts. Gungfly is great also.
    Only SiT pt 1. Didn't care for it.

It's clear that we're talking about an exceptional amount of talent - instantly clear - but I haven't been able to make an original, from the heart connection, with anything I've listened to so far (Beardfish included of course). I mean this is completely within my range of music that I truly like. I don't know what to say, maybe it will happen someday, or maybe not, which is ok (I don't mind being the stupid minority).