Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Rikard Sj÷blom's Gungfly - "Friendship"

  1. #26
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Only SiT pt 1. Didn't care for it.
    The Sane Day and Traffic Part One have become favorites of mine, regardless of era/style/blah blah. Exceptionally creative writing and equally thrilling playing with more than a fair amount of energy (especially for studio works). Desert island pizzas, imo. Traffic Part Two also up there, just not as consistently great throughout.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  2. #27
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Sane Day and Traffic Part One have become favorites of mine, regardless of era/style/blah blah. Exceptionally creative writing and equally thrilling playing with more than a fair amount of energy (especially for studio works). Desert island pizzas, imo. Traffic Part Two also up there, just not as consistently great throughout.
    This ^^^ 100% agree.

    In the last few years I've played pretty much the whole of Beardfish's back catalog more than any other band's output.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  3. #28
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204


    This popped up on my Tidal homepage last night. I really really dig the tune - love the vocals, great grooves, playing of course is always fantastic with Rikard. From the production side, Rikard's stuff has always been generally great-to-killer. So I gave this a headphone listen and it sounded good, albeit pretty forward on the bass and low tones in general. This morning when I bluetoothed it via my car stereo, it sounded boomy, bloated, and the snare drum was sort of MIA so-to-speak. I'm curious if you guys feel the same way on this? In any event, this is an auto-buy (anything by RS is for me, except small small bus), but it has a curious sound. I think musically this is gonna be a cool-ass album based on this tune.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  4. #29
    Auto buy for sure, but I hate spoiling any album so I’ll wait. Don’t trust streaming music much anyway.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  5. #30
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    640
    Late to the party for "friendship", ordered from Ken at Laser's Edge a couple of weeks back, first spins very positive but I like pretty much everything Rikard does...so disappointed not to see him with BBT this Spring but happily saw Beardfish several times!

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post


    This popped up on my Tidal homepage last night. I really really dig the tune - love the vocals, great grooves, playing of course is always fantastic with Rikard. From the production side, Rikard's stuff has always been generally great-to-killer. So I gave this a headphone listen and it sounded good, albeit pretty forward on the bass and low tones in general. This morning when I bluetoothed it via my car stereo, it sounded boomy, bloated, and the snare drum was sort of MIA so-to-speak. I'm curious if you guys feel the same way on this? In any event, this is an auto-buy (anything by RS is for me, except small small bus), but it has a curious sound. I think musically this is gonna be a cool-ass album based on this tune.
    I just gave this a listen, and really really like it. The drums do seem a little muted perhaps... The bass is definitely way up front in the mix, but it works. Great tune overall.

    Probably comes as no surprise that I'm gonna have to get this record when it comes out. Pretty much anything Rikard does is going to be an auto-buy for me.

    Also, can I just say how much I love Rikard's singing? Seriously, he has a lovely voice. He makes it sound effortless somehow. Him and Mikael ┼kerfeldt are two of my favorite vocalists from recent times ("recent" being anything after 1989 ). That he's such a monster keyboardist, and is no slouch on the guitar either, is a pretty great bonus.

  7. #32
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Late to the party for "friendship", ordered from Ken at Laser's Edge a couple of weeks back, first spins very positive but I like pretty much everything Rikard does...so disappointed not to see him with BBT this Spring but happily saw Beardfish several times!
    Excellent! Rikard is one of my fav musicians working in prog. Within the sort of stuff he writes, there is nobody better imo. The talent level is not just off the chart, its off several charts. Yes, he is not Fred Frith or Motorpyscho, but he doesn't purport to be. He lives in his own universe and its a damn fine universe to be in. I still can't get over the demise of Beardfish....the synergy in that group was just legendary but Gungfly is pretty damn great too.

  8. #33
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I just gave this a listen, and really really like it. The drums do seem a little muted perhaps... The bass is definitely way up front in the mix, but it works. Great tune overall.

    Probably comes as no surprise that I'm gonna have to get this record when it comes out. Pretty much anything Rikard does is going to be an auto-buy for me.

    Also, can I just say how much I love Rikard's singing? Seriously, he has a lovely voice. He makes it sound effortless somehow. Him and Mikael ┼kerfeldt are two of my favorite vocalists from recent times ("recent" being anything after 1989 ). That he's such a monster keyboardist, and is no slouch on the guitar either, is a pretty great bonus.
    His voice is one of the best out there in the orig world without a doubt. Probably my fav prog vocalist of the past 20 or so years, along with Tim.

    I am having a very hard time with the mix on this new one. Even my teen daughter heard it when I played in the car. She knows BF really really well I play them so much and when I pointed the bass and drums, especially the snare, she thought the same thing as me. I hope this new album isn't a letdown sonically in the same way the new Opeth was.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    His voice is one of the best out there in the orig world without a doubt. Probably my fav prog vocalist of the past 20 or so years, along with Tim.
    Oh for sure, Rikard and Tim are a couple of the best vocalists in the prog sphere, in my humble opinion. Completely different in style, but both so great and enjoyable for their own reasons. I'd throw Andy Tilison into the hat as well -- he's another favorite of mine. While not a technically gifted singer, he has a style that he has made work for him and his music I think. I've grown to love it in the decade-and-a-half since first hearing The Tangent.


    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I am having a very hard time with the mix on this new one. Even my teen daughter heard it when I played in the car. She knows BF really really well I play them so much and when I pointed the bass and drums, especially the snare, she thought the same thing as me. I hope this new album isn't a letdown sonically in the same way the new Opeth was.
    This I can understand. The mix hasn't gotten in the way of my enjoyment of that song, but I do hope it's not indicative of the whole album. We'll see though. When I listened to the latest Opeth one, it was on vinyl and I didn't notice anything with the mix that stood out as wonky to my ears at least. I wonder if Mikael had mixed it with vinyl in mind...?

    btw, how many kids do you have? I might have asked that before.

    Also, what does your daughter think of Beardfish and Rikard?

  10. #35
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,527
    Listening on some cheap headphones at work I don't have a problem with this mix. At least I can hear everything clearly. On the last couple Gungfly albums I always felt like the bass was doing some very cool things and yet was not a very focused sound - a lot low end and not much in the upper frequencies to give a better idea of what actual notes Rasmus was playing. Very different from the Beardfish bass sound. But I like what so far appears to be a much more defined bass sound on this tune. If the drums had to take a bit more of a background role to achieve that I'm good, lol.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  11. #36
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh for sure, Rikard and Tim are a couple of the best vocalists in the prog sphere, in my humble opinion. Completely different in style, but both so great and enjoyable for their own reasons. I'd throw Andy Tilison into the hat as well -- he's another favorite of mine. While not a technically gifted singer, he has a style that he has made work for him and his music I think. I've grown to love it in the decade-and-a-half since first hearing The Tangent.

    This I can understand. The mix hasn't gotten in the way of my enjoyment of that song, but I do hope it's not indicative of the whole album. We'll see though. When I listened to the latest Opeth one, it was on vinyl and I didn't notice anything with the mix that stood out as wonky to my ears at least. I wonder if Mikael had mixed it with vinyl in mind...?

    btw, how many kids do you have? I might have asked that before.

    Also, what does your daughter think of Beardfish and Rikard?
    I need to give Tangent/Tillson more air time. It's not that I don't dig him, it's just that I don't listen to his music much, unfortunately. I loved the Canterbury thing they did some years back.

    So my two kids (15 and 13) generally like/tolerate/hate the stuff I play, depending on what it is. My son's favorite bands are probably Cardiacs and Beardfish, and maybe Tull. Same with my daughter, although she doesn't dig Cardiacs AS much as my son. She does not like SW though - she has a very emotional reaction to his music, especially the more melancholic stuff on Raven, Grace, and Blank Planet. Last year at this time we did a 2-week Scotland extravaganza and Tull was the big soundtrack to the trip in the car (besides some Scottish lute music, along with other Celtic-influenced stuff). They really dig vintage Ian, and especially love his acoustic material (that makes me such a proud daddy!). Some of the other weird Cuneiform/ReR stuff goes right over their heads though, along with some 20th century classical. They both really like Sibelius, Ravel, and Mahler (generally the stuff I play the most around the house and car). I was playing Art Bears last week and my son did not care for Dagmar at all. Or Cow's In Praise. That's OK, some folks here can't stomach that stuff either. They actually like some Magma oddly enough, especially FÚlicitÚ Th÷sz, and they like to watch the DVD Epok concerts I have. My daughter is an excellent flautist, takes private lessons and is playing level 6 (in NYSSMA grading) Bach Sonatas - the real deal! Extremely challenging music on flute or otherwise. Her favorite dude right now by mile and miles is Harry Styles. My son likes video game music - and so do I. Toby Fox is a fantastic composer. That's what my kids like, anyway!

    Edit: I forgot at add that they really dig some Canterbury - especially Hatfield and Caravan! My daughter also loves Bob Drake's tune "Don't Ask a Cat"
    Last edited by chalkpie; 07-09-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  12. #37
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Listening on some cheap headphones at work I don't have a problem with this mix. At least I can hear everything clearly. On the last couple Gungfly albums I always felt like the bass was doing some very cool things and yet was not a very focused sound - a lot low end and not much in the upper frequencies to give a better idea of what actual notes Rasmus was playing. Very different from the Beardfish bass sound. But I like what so far appears to be a much more defined bass sound on this tune. If the drums had to take a bit more of a background role to achieve that I'm good, lol.
    Robert has a very aggressive, growly, Fender-type, heavy-pick articulated sound - lots of upper-mids boosted, and his tone was absolutely phenomenal. You're right Rasmus is more "body", bloated, not as articulated, but still a fantastic player. In my car it felt like the bass was too much on this new one, but that's just what I am hearing. The snare is almost non-existent in the mix to my ears, which is not a good thing in rock music.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  13. #38
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Robert has a very aggressive, growly, Fender-type, heavy-pick articulated sound - lots of upper-mids boosted, and his tone was absolutely phenomenal. You're right Rasmus is more "body", bloated, not as articulated, but still a fantastic player. In my car it felt like the bass was too much on this new one, but that's just what I am hearing. The snare is almost non-existent in the mix to my ears, which is not a good thing in rock music.
    Yes, definitely different playing styles and sounds from Rasmus and Robert. Just not that crazy about how Rasmus is mixed in the last couple of album, but it's not terrible by any means.

    Very cool to hear about your kids musical tastes and pursuits, Frankie.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  14. #39
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yes, definitely different playing styles and sounds from Rasmus and Robert. Just not that crazy about how Rasmus is mixed in the last couple of album, but it's not terrible by any means.

    Very cool to hear about your kids musical tastes and pursuits, Frankie.
    Thanks Guy. Yeah it could be a lot worse when it comes to their appreciation of music. My daughter bought the newest Harry Styles LP and we've been playing it almost every day. They think vinyl is cool.

    I agree on the bass tone thing....Robert was the man! Such a phenomenal player - maybe a bit underappreciated in what he accomplished on tape to the folks oblivious to that band. BTW, the tune "Friendship" has just hit me this week. What a killer tune! Its another Rikard mini-epic gem to my ears. I can't quite place it up there with "Note" or "And the Stone Said", but its close. The first 5 or so minutes are just flippin' great, as is the entire thing really. That album in general continues to grow on me. BTW ate you hip to Lamentations Guy? That is another very excellent album.

  15. #40
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks Guy. Yeah it could be a lot worse when it comes to their appreciation of music. My daughter bought the newest Harry Styles LP and we've been playing it almost every day. They think vinyl is cool.

    I agree on the bass tone thing....Robert was the man! Such a phenomenal player - maybe a bit underappreciated in what he accomplished on tape to the folks oblivious to that band. BTW, the tune "Friendship" has just hit me this week. What a killer tune! Its another Rikard mini-epic gem to my ears. I can't quite place it up there with "Note" or "And the Stone Said", but its close. The first 5 or so minutes are just flippin' great, as is the entire thing really. That album in general continues to grow on me. BTW ate you hip to Lamentations Guy? That is another very excellent album.
    Revisiting Lamentations right now. I was a bit turned off to a few tunes because this came out at the time when Rikard was favoring a heavier approach (like on The Void) and I was not particularly enamored at the time. I also listened to the first part of The Void today too. I'm actually liking those heavier tunes a bit better now. "Note" is awesome, although more in the realm of standard Beardfish sounds.

    Listening to that new track now on the studio monitors I definitely think the snare could have been pushed up a bit and the bass dialed back a notch. But The Void also came across as somewhat bass heavy (and with a huge heavy kick drum sound) in my music room which is really to small which doesn't help.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  16. #41
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Revisiting Lamentations right now. I was a bit turned off to a few tunes because this came out at the time when Rikard was favoring a heavier approach (like on The Void) and I was not particularly enamored at the time. I also listened to the first part of The Void today too. I'm actually liking those heavier tunes a bit better now. "Note" is awesome, although more in the realm of standard Beardfish sounds.

    Listening to that new track now on the studio monitors I definitely think the snare could have been pushed up a bit and the bass dialed back a notch. But The Void also came across as somewhat bass heavy (and with a huge heavy kick drum sound) in my music room which is really to small which doesn't help.
    Did you get any more mileage with Lamentations this time around? Every time I spin that sucker it gets better and better for me. I can't believe he did all this stuff simultaneously during Beardfish. Kind of amazing!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  17. #42
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Did you get any more mileage with Lamentations this time around? Every time I spin that sucker it gets better and better for me. I can't believe he did all this stuff simultaneously during Beardfish. Kind of amazing!
    Yes, I'd say I got more mileage this time - mostly in terms of gaining an appreciation of the songwriting. I heard it a bit differently today.

    Listening to "Friendship" right now. Yeah, this is a great one. The mix on this is great and I take back my earlier comments about the bass sound on this. Really killer bass tone and bass lines and it sits nicely in the mix.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  18. #43
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,355
    Just finished a Skype with Rikard about this new album and all things "GungFish". Great guy, lots to say about all eras of his career. I'll post the article here when it is finished!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  19. #44
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,304
    ^ Shouldn't that be Lungfish?

  20. #45
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just finished a Skype with Rikard about this new album and all things "GungFish". Great guy, lots to say about all eras of his career. I'll post the article here when it is finished!
    I'm in!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  21. #46
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,355
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Shouldn't that be Lungfish?
    Well, it sounds better in the original Swedish.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  22. #47
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,355
    Interview is now up! I hope everyone enjoys it.

    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/rika...-and-together/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  23. #48
    Member Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    322
    Excellent stuff, thanks for that!

  24. #49
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interview is now up! I hope everyone enjoys it.

    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/rika...-and-together/
    Outstanding interview of one of my current favorite musicians. Cheers Lorne
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

  25. #50
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,355
    Thanks fellas, glad you enjoyed it. Rikard did too, nice to see he posted it himself and even tagged me in it. That's always good!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •