Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - The Wilson remixes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    As I mentioned above, it looks like Phaedra will be one of the albums: here's the proof

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeBcRTVA3ax/

That mess would make a cool cover for a box set, kind of like the Can Lost Tapes from a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Q:
    [snip] I want people to hear it. I actually bypass mastering completely now."

source
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/featur...-cannot-erase/
    Indeed - of course I am stretching the point a bit - I meant it is "kind of" a remaster compared to other versions that get the master treatment by dedicated master engineer...

v

Just recently got the two Virgin Years boxes from Amazon UK - Not sure if they are the same masters as the "Definitive Edition" but they do sound great. Although is weird that Encore was included in the second box and not in the first one. High-res version will be welcomed though.

v

Maybe he could take the early slow boring stuff, speed it up, chop it up, and give it a motorik beat to create an entirely NEU Tangerine Dream....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Maybe he could take the early slow boring stuff, speed it up, chop it up, and give it a motorik beat to create an entirely NEU Tangerine Dream....
    I usually play those at 45rpm
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Then I recommend "Cyclone" !

v
    Last edited by vmartell; 11-17-2018 at 01:06 PM.

May 2019 provisional release date, and 5.1 mixes definitely included, but no confirmation of which albums beyond Phaedra.

http://thezest-2010.blogspot.com/201...set-to-be.html

I know previous mixes by Steven have not used heavy panning but it would be nice to hear him go all out on these Tangerine Dream mixes.

Just spotted this on the SW HQ website:

On the classic album remixing front, I’ve reluctantly had to decline most projects of this kind recently in order to concentrate on my own music. But one project I did take on was a substantial Tangerine Dream box set focussing on the golden 70’s Virgin Records era – although this is strictly speaking not a “remix” project, as the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD’s worth in fact. For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release, and if all goes to plan it should be out in the Spring. I have also been slowly moving towards finishing another remix in the XTC series, as well as one more Jethro Tull album, 1979’s Stormwatch, I would expect both to be late 2019 releases.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Early Virgin Years, hopefully... Hoping we get to hear more of those fabled 70 hours of live recordings supposedly used to compile "Ricochet"...
    I always thought the Croydon show from Oct. 22 1975 formed the entire base layer of Ricochet, with studio overdubs completing the recording. Certainly listening to that show on the first Bootleg Box, it sounds like a raw, unadorned (but very cool) version of the album. Are you saying the album is actually a collage of many different live recordings, a la Grateful Dead's Anthem of the Sun?

In any case, I agree that more unreleased live material from the early sequencer period of '74-'75 would be a nice treat, and might entice me to pick up some of these remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    ...the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD’s worth in fact. For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release.
    that's very exciting and very worthwhile for my personal interests.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

On the classic album remixing front, I’ve reluctantly had to decline most projects of this kind recently in order to concentrate on my own music. But one project I did take on was a substantial Tangerine Dream box set focussing on the golden 70’s Virgin Records era – although this is strictly speaking not a “remix” project, as the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD’s worth in fact. For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release, and if all goes to plan it should be out in the Spring. I have also been slowly moving towards finishing another remix in the XTC series, as well as one more Jethro Tull album, 1979’s Stormwatch, I would expect both to be late 2019 releases.
    Wow. Excited.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I seem to recall "ZeiT" translated to English is "Sominex"

Perhaps his reworking of it will change it to "No Doze"...

I seem to recall "ZeiT" translated to English is "Sominex"
    Actually, it translates as "Time". I remember the first time I heard that album, I found it boring, but that was because I didn't savvy what was going on there. Or at least, what I think is going on. Zeit strikes me as an early ambient album, and once I came to grips with that, I came to like it much more. In fact, it's now one of my favorite TD albums. To me, it's main shortcoming is that it's too short. Like the thing with the thing with cellos on side one, if that was me producing that record, today, I'd make that go on for like a half hour by itself. In fact, I'd probably do it on DVD or Bluray and make each movement like an hour or more long, to hell with the limitations of the LP format.

Info found on pinkfishmedia.net (general web search) - though no idea how accurate this will be:

>>>

TANGERINE DREAM: IN SEARCH OF HADES - THE VIRGIN YEARS (16CD+2 BLURAY Box Set / Steven Wilson Remixes / Book & More

As is always the case with these things, the rumour mill has been grinding away and together with what "insider" information we have garnered, this is what we've heard and read it "could well" contain. Obviously there are many missing bits of detail still to come (including the final price), but piecing together things we have been given, some brain-storming and from across the net, as it stands, the contents COULD roughly be as per the following:

Albums covered are from: 'Phaedra' to 'Force Majeure'.

'Live' sets from London that may be included are: 'Live At The Rainbow' and 'Live At The Victoria' (both London), plus, the soundtrack to: 'Live At Coventry Cathedral'.

5.1 Surround Sound mixes by Steven Wilson.

'Pheadra' becomes a vastly expanded set with Previously Unreleased Music added.

A CD of the legendary unreleased: 'Oedipus Tyrannus' and the THREE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (on CD) tracks from the '70-80' Box Set: 'Barryl Blue', 'Chimes And Chains' and 'Haunted Heights'.

One of the BluRay discs may contain: 'Live At Coventry Cathedral' (we all hope that this is not the previously released 'redubbed' version!!!) and the documentary: 'Signale aus der Schwäbische Strasse' (a German TV interview).

A further additional BluRay should have 5.1 and stereo mixes on it.

There are apparently Bonus Tracks for 'Rubycon', 'Ricochet', 'Stratosfear' and 'Cyclone' - and some of these apparently come in at around the 20+ Minutes mark!

There should also be a Book contained in the Box and Bianca Acquaye is designing the outer sleeve for the set.

Disc packaging (either Card Sleeves or Digi-Paks) has yet to be confirmed, but one of these options is highly likely we would think.

So here is an approximation of what we think the disc structures might contain:

Disc 01 [CD - 'Phaedra']

Disc 02 [CD - 'Phaedra Rarities']

Disc 03 [CD - 'Phaedra' - Possible Bonus Material

Disc 04 [CD - 'Rubycon' - Bonus Material either on this Disc or on Discs 14/15/16]

Disc 05 [CD - 'Ricochet' - Bonus Material either on this Disc or on Discs 14/15/16]

Disc 06 [CD - 'Stratosfear' - Bonus Material either on this Disc or on Discs 14/15/16]

Disc 07 [CD - 'Encore'] Disc 08 [CD - 'Cyclone' - Bonus Material either on this Disc or on Discs 14/15/16]

Disc 09 [CD - 'Force Majeure']

Disc 10 [CD - 'Oedipus Tyrannus']

Disc 11 [CD - 'Live At The Rainbow - London']

Disc 12 [CD - 'Live At The Victoria - London']

Disc 13 [CD - 'Live At Coventry Cathedral']

Disc 14 [CD - Bonus Content - Not Yet Know]

Disc 15 [CD - Bonus Content - Not Yet Known]

Disc 16 [CD - Bonus Content - Not Yet Known]

Disc 17 [BR - 'Live At Coventry Cathedral' & 'Signale aus der Schwäbische Strasse']

Disc 18 [BR - 5.1 Surround Sound & Stereo Mixes]

We reckon the price will be in the region of: 140 - 150 UKP (maybe even cheaper), however this has yet to be confirmed - yes it is a lot of money, but then again, this is a labour of love that we reckon most people would never have thought to come to fruition.

<<<

^ Any info as to what albums will get the 5.1 treatment?

I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

There have been a lot of these lists appearing online, and according to people actually working on the project (see the Steve Hoffman forum), some of the lists are way off mark.

They're still considering what the packaging and artwork should include, and no real idea of costing at this stage until this is finalised.

Wilson hinted at a Spring release, so I'd imagine we'll be getting the full details shortly - after all, we need time to save up our cash for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

There have been a lot of these lists appearing online, and according to people actually working on the project (see the Steve Hoffman forum), some of the lists are way off mark.

They're still considering what the packaging and artwork should include, and no real idea of costing at this stage until this is finalised.

Wilson hinted at a Spring release, so I'd imagine we'll be getting the full details shortly - after all, we need time to save up our cash for this one!
    Yes, you're right! I've just been doing further reading on the Steve Hoffman forum & there's a lot of "discussion" about the accuracy of that CDS list.

According to an article in Sound on Sound "Steven Wilson has recently worked on: PHAEDRA 5.1, RICOCHET 5.1 and an unreleased 1974 studio album 5.1."

Early Virgin Years, hopefully... Hoping we get to hear more of those fabled 70 hours of live recordings supposedly used to compile "Ricochet"...
    If only for that... But I wouldn't want the full 70 hours, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    As far as Rubycon, Stratosfear, Force Majeure and nearly everything that the Froese-Franke-Schmoelling line-up recorded, I don't think any of that needs remixing. If he wants to see what he can do with Phaedra and Atem and the earlier records, that might be worth it. But I've paid for these albums many times over already.
    Not asking for any 5.1 remix or remaster, as I will probably never upgrade... Just a proper boxset with relevant bonus tracks and respected artworks preferably the cardboard Mini-Lp format.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Just recently got the two Virgin Years boxes from Amazon UK - Not sure if they are the same masters as the "Definitive Edition" but they do sound great. Although is weird that Encore was included in the second box and not in the first one. High-res version will be welcomed though.

v
    Mmmhhh!!... I suppose you mean these boxset where they crammed 7 albums into five discs, slicing some albums over two different discs... no thanks!! total lack of respect of the original albums

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    Disc packaging (either Card Sleeves or Digi-Paks) has yet to be confirmed, but one of these options is highly likely we would think.
    get rid of the bloody plastic, FFS!!

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    Yes, you're right! I've just been doing further reading on the Steve Hoffman forum & there's a lot of "discussion" about the accuracy of that CDS list.

According to an article in Sound on Sound "Steven Wilson has recently worked on: PHAEDRA 5.1, RICOCHET 5.1 and an unreleased 1974 studio album 5.1."
    the Green Desert thingie, maybe??
    Last edited by Trane; 01-09-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Green Desert
    Speaking of which, is Wikipedia right about this ? I've always been slightly underwhelmed by this album, now I think I understand why...

Green Desert is the twenty-seventh album released by electronic artists Tangerine Dream. The album was marketed at the time as being previously unreleased 1973 recordings made without Peter Baumann but was, in actuality, entirely new 1984 recordings.
    So, a total fraud ? Wow !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Speaking of which, is Wikipedia right about this ? I've always been slightly underwhelmed by this album, now I think I understand why...
    I've seen the CD with two different covers: once with the desert inside a circle and once with a multi-coloured balloon (montgolfière)... I don't know much about its legitimacy, but it's probably what I prefer from their 80's releases... it certainly sounds 70's vintage to me - and probably closest to Ricochet, due to drums and guitars; but the supposedly-original tapes of GD are pre-Phaedra
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

my understanding is that it is a total fraud.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    my understanding is that it is a total fraud.
    And yet, at the time, it was released on two labels that carried more TD albums in their catalogue:
    Relativity (who hit it big with Satriani)
    Jive Electro (but that does sound bootleg, though)

the reissues in the mid-90's (when I first heard GD) were released on Castle/Sanctuary sub-labels.

How did Froese qualify GD?? I suppose someone asked him the question.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's not a total fraud. It's a mixture of 1973 recordings with additional 80s layers added, like Tangents and Beyond the Storm, and numerous other compilations that followed. I like it.
    Acc. to Voices in the Net, it was the last time Franke did any real drumming of any significance.