Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - The Wilson remixes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's not a total fraud. It's a mixture of 1973 recordings with additional 80s layers added, like Tangents and Beyond the Storm, and numerous other compilations that followed. I like it.
    Acc. to Voices in the Net, it was the last time Franke did any real drumming of any significance.
    Exactly. Begun in '73 and "finished" a decade later. One of the best things in TD's catalogue, either way. I love its sparse no-bs sound.

Get a grip and love that Green Desert, peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Early Virgin Years, hopefully... Hoping we get to hear more of those fabled 70 hours of live recordings supposedly used to compile "Ricochet"...
    That must have been expensive in the early 70s to record on good tape that many concerts, running live reel to reels.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Exactly. Begun in '73 and "finished" a decade later. One of the best things in TD's catalogue, either way. I love its sparse no-bs sound.

Get a grip and love that Green Desert, peeps.
    Green Desert is a really an excellent album. It first came out on vinyl on the In The Beginning box with their first four albums. I thought Edgar did a really fine job on GD where he didn't bury the stuff recorded in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Green Desert is a really an excellent album. It first came out on vinyl on the In The Beginning box with their first four albums. I thought Edgar did a really fine job on GD where he didn't bury the stuff recorded in the 70's.
    Green Desert is an okay album... certainly not one of their strongest from that era.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Speaking of which, is Wikipedia right about this ? I've always been slightly underwhelmed by this album, now I think I understand why...

So, a total fraud ? Wow !
    Wikipedia is the only place I've seen it said that the album was entirely fabricated in 1986, but its only citation is to a page that tells the more usual account of a 1973 recording with 1986 overdubs.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Slightly off-topic, but I see that Tangerine Dream are playing in London in March and i'm wondering if I should make an effort to see them, because, well, it's Tangerine Dream.

i don't own any Tangerine Dream albums, and I'm more of a traditional prog fan (Genesis/Yes/Floyd), but I like the bits of TD's music I've heard.

Has anyone seen the latest incarnation of the band live and if so, would you recommend seeing them?

Thanks.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I haven't seen the latest incarnation in person, but their online live videos look more interesting than the TD I saw in the 80s/90s/00s, and to me, the current musical approach is at least as good as any TD since the Schmoelling years of the early 80s. I wouldn't miss them if they came around here.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Green Desert is an okay album... certainly not one of their strongest from that era.
    Green Desert is different from the albums of that period. Only Astral Voyage is has the soon to be group defining sequencer sound, and a 2 tracks have plenty of Franke's drumming. Its not going to make anyone forget Collins, Bruford or name your fav drummer here, but I like it. Froese has a 5 minute or so guitar solo on the title track, which like Franke's drumming would not make many forget their fav guitar God, but I love his work. Many would consider Indian Summer boring but I find it hypnotic. No bad tracks here.

Green Desert, like Zeit from the In The Beginning box, have both been spun many times from me over the years. But these albums get listened to when I'm in completely different moods. If I was asked to pick my top 10 TD albums neither would probably make it, but that's more of the strength of their catalog than the weakness of these albums. But I'm an admitted TD fanboy and GD to me is an excellent album. YMMV

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wikipedia is the only place I've seen it said that the album was entirely fabricated in 1986, but its only citation is to a page that tells the more usual account of a 1973 recording with 1986 overdubs.
    I'm pretty skeptical that anyone was going to produce those kind of drum sounds in the 80's. (OTOH, look what Radio Massacre International has put out in the past 15 years)

I'm pretty skeptical that anyone was going to produce those kind of drum sounds in the 80's.ast 15 years)
    Chances of Franke setting up his drums again in 1986 after not playing them since the early 70's were probably nil. Johannes Schmoelling had left and they went into the vaults to see what they could come up with while deciding what direction to take in the future.

Green Desert is different from the albums of that period. Only Astral Voyage is has the soon to be group defining sequencer sound, and a 2 tracks have plenty of Franke's drumming. Its not going to make anyone forget Collins, Bruford or name your fav drummer here, but I like it.
    Definitely does bring Nick Mason to mind.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Green Desert is different from the albums of that period. Only Astral Voyage is has the soon to be group defining sequencer sound, and a 2 tracks have plenty of Franke's drumming. Its not going to make anyone forget Collins, Bruford or name your fav drummer here, but I like it. Froese has a 5 minute or so guitar solo on the title track, which like Franke's drumming would not make many forget their fav guitar God, but I love his work. Many would consider Indian Summer boring but I find it hypnotic. No bad tracks here.

Green Desert, like Zeit from the In The Beginning box, have both been spun many times from me over the years. But these albums get listened to when I'm in completely different moods. If I was asked to pick my top 10 TD albums neither would probably make it, but that's more of the strength of their catalog than the weakness of these albums. But I'm an admitted TD fanboy and GD to me is an excellent album. YMMV
    By era, I mean the Ohr Records era, not the Virgin Records era.

Chances of Franke setting up his drums again in 1986 after not playing them since the early 70's were probably nil. Johannes Schmoelling had left and they went into the vaults to see what they could come up with while deciding what direction to take in the future.
    Affirmative. Apart from the initial Green Desert session, Chris probably hadn't touched a kit since before he left Agitation Free to join Tangerine Dream. One more go for "Green Desert" and "White Clouds" sounds perfectly reasonable.

That, and Edgar's guitar tone. It didn't sound like that at all in '85.

I haven't seen the latest incarnation in person, but their online live videos look more interesting than the TD I saw in the 80s/90s/00s, and to me, the current musical approach is at least as good as any TD since the Schmoelling years of the early 80s. I wouldn't miss them if they came around here.
    I still haven't heard anything on par with '80-86, or Force Majeure or Underwater Sunlight. We'll never get anything that good again. Thorsten's good but there's only one Johannes like there was only one Edgar Froese.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but I see that Tangerine Dream are playing in London in March and i'm wondering if I should make an effort to see them, because, well, it's Tangerine Dream.

i don't own any Tangerine Dream albums, and I'm more of a traditional prog fan (Genesis/Yes/Floyd), but I like the bits of TD's music I've heard.

Has anyone seen the latest incarnation of the band live and if so, would you recommend seeing them?

Thanks.
    Haven't seen any incarnation of TD, but have all of their recordings up through '86 or so, as well as the post-Froese release Quantum Gate, which is quite good. I wouldn't put it on a par with their best '70s work. but to my ears it's more compelling than most of what I've heard from them since the early '80s. There came a point where it all began to sound like soundtrack work, whether it was created for a movie or not. The new one is a modern-sounding album, but has a lot more depth to it than music that sounds like it should be merely incidental to onscreen action. I would definitely check them out if they come near me.

The funny thing about TD, for me, is giong back and listening to some of the post-Franke TT stuff, in the last couple years (because I initially skipped them when the TT project was actually in progress), and I'm actually enjoying quite a few of those shows. I almost feel like, maybe if Edgar hadn't insisted on slapping the Tangerine Dream name on some of those records, I might have been more receptive to them.

But then, TD's music was always changing. They're like the anti-AC/DC, or the anti-Ozrics, so maybe it makes sense that the stuff they did in the 90's and beyond sounds nothing like what is in my mind the "classic stuff" (circa 1972-1982).

As a side note to that, I also broke out Hyperborea and White Eagle after many years of not liking either album (but loving Logos, which came in between), and again, rather enjoying it. Maybe it's time I tentatively move past the Virgin era. I thinkt he only one of the post Virgin albums I have is Poland (and of course, I have the 90's edition, where they cut a chunk out of one of the tracks so they squeeze "the entire album" onto a single CD).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The funny thing about TD, for me, is giong back and listening to some of the post-Franke TT stuff, in the last couple years (because I initially skipped them when the TT project was actually in progress), and I'm actually enjoying quite a few of those shows. I almost feel like, maybe if Edgar hadn't insisted on slapping the Tangerine Dream name on some of those records, I might have been more receptive to them.

But then, TD's music was always changing. They're like the anti-AC/DC, or the anti-Ozrics, so maybe it makes sense that the stuff they did in the 90's and beyond sounds nothing like what is in my mind the "classic stuff" (circa 1972-1982).

As a side note to that, I also broke out Hyperborea and White Eagle after many years of not liking either album (but loving Logos, which came in between), and again, rather enjoying it. Maybe it's time I tentatively move past the Virgin era. I thinkt he only one of the post Virgin albums I have is Poland (and of course, I have the 90's edition, where they cut a chunk out of one of the tracks so they squeeze "the entire album" onto a single CD).
    That was the good thing about TD. They would stay with a sound for 2-3 albums and then move on. Some of the changes I liked and others I didn’t, but that’s OK. Definitely not like the groups like you mentioned. Another that I listen to who never changed much was Kitaro. But that lasted until TD put out so much product, that the quality slipped and they repeated themselves.

If you just want one album after the Virgin years, try Underwater Sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Definitely does bring Nick Mason to mind.
    ot lots of time to listen to Nick. He is tasteful and with Waters or sometimes Gilmour on bass, while not complex, leave plenty of space for the singers, and especially Gilmour’s guitar.

I might compare Franke to Mayhew on Genesis’ Trespass album. I don’t remember a positive review of his drumming on that album but I like it.

As a side note to that, I also broke out Hyperborea and White Eagle after many years of not liking either album (but loving Logos, which came in between), and again, rather enjoying it. Maybe it's time I tentatively move past the Virgin era.
    Exit is a latter album that I personally find very underrated in the greater TD catalogue.

Exit is a latter album that I personally find very underrated in the greater TD catalogue.
    One of my favorites.

I thinkt he only one of the post Virgin albums I have is Poland (and of course, I have the 90's edition, where they cut a chunk out of one of the tracks so they squeeze "the entire album" onto a single CD).
    That's been reissued, complete, multiple times. Not expensive.

I'm not sure why, but I've never owned Exit for some reason. I vaguely remember borrowing it from the library back in the 80's, but not liking it. But I couldn't tell you why, because as I recall, that was still durign that late Virgin era, so it should at least theoretically be right up my alley.

re: Poland

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That's been reissued, complete, multiple times. Not expensive.
    Well, that must be a recent development, because back in the 90's, the single disc version with, I think it's side four that's been edited, was all that could be found. We didn't have E-bay, Discogs or other websites back then to track down a used copy in Kuala Lampur or wherever. I imagine cheap used copies of the previous double CD edition abounded in places like LA or NYC (or probably even Berlin), but in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, forget it.

I'm not sure why, but I've never owned Exit for some reason. I vaguely remember borrowing it from the library back in the 80's, but not liking it. But I couldn't tell you why, because as I recall, that was still durign that late Virgin era, so it should at least theoretically be right up my alley.
    Do you like Thief? They used the same gear on both albums.

If you just want one album after the Virgin years, try Underwater Sunlight.
    So beautiful. Side A makes my eyes water. It's got one of Ed's coolest guitar leads, too.