Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - The Wilson remixes

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    We had it and sold out very fast.

AFAIK, it's now GONE gone.
    Wow, lucky I ordered it just a few days ago!

PS amazon.uk has it for a decent price, especially if you don't pay VAT

Am now listening to Oedipus in surround now, am just in the overture and already this sounds like a major mind-f$@& in the best possible way! (And I am not even stoned)

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Diving into this box set feels like the audio equivalent of experiencing 2001’s star-gate sequence, but I’ve made it through to the other end, and have a blog review for you.

Hopefully it should answer your questions about content and audio quality, and help you to decide whether to go for the box set or the budget price single albums.

https://momentstransition.wordpress....973-1979-2019/
    Thanks Valen, really appreciate it !.

For me, this is something big & special.
    Great!!.

ps.: I definitely have to get it physically.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I haven't had a lot of time to dig in yet, given both this and the KC box dropped at the same time, but I did get through the Phaedra era over the weekend. I like what Wilson has done with the Phaedra studio recordings. To my ear the music has more room to breathe and there is a greater sense of space around the sound if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    I haven't had a lot of time to dig in yet, given both this and the KC box dropped at the same time, but I did get through the Phaedra era over the weekend. I like what Wilson has done with the Phaedra studio recordings. To my ear the music has more room to breathe and there is a greater sense of space around the sound if that makes sense.
    I'm still trying to work out what exactly the differences are - it's very very subtle. Usually with a more traditional instrumental line-up ( guitar, drum, keyboards) I can quickly spot the differences in SW's remixing (eg Tull or ELP).

But with this style of music I'm finding it a lot harder (and more fun) to put my finger on what exactly has changed - perhaps I need to try it from a different angle. Usually I compare the stereo mixes, but perhaps I should play around with the 5.1 bluray and then try out the cd version via cinema settings on the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    perhaps I should play around with the 5.1 bluray and then try out the cd version via cinema settings on the amp.
    That is like comparing apples and oranges IMHO. What the cd sounds like through your cinema settings is really nothing akin to a dedicated 5.1 mix.

I did not buy this set for the SW remixes, these are just a small bonus for me. This box was all about the extra material besides the original albums. So far only had time to listen to the Phaedra outtakes and certainly disc 1 could have been released at that time and is as good as the original Phaedra album. The second disc is also really good but sonically that one harks a bit back to what they had done upto Phaedra so it is no surprise they did not release it at that point in time.

It appears Amazon is also out (ships in one to two months it says, which in my experience means its gone for good). Guess I missed out on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    It appears Amazon is also out (ships in one to two months it says, which in my experience means its gone for good). Guess I missed out on this one.
    Re- press confirmed! August!

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Re- press confirmed! August!

Ah, thanks for the good news!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Ah, thanks for the good news!

this is a treasure trove that shouldn't be limited to one (apparently very) limited run.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's taking me a while to get through this mutha. It's fantastic. Loved "2nd Day" and "Phaedra (Out-Take Version 2A)."

Almost all the unreleased stuff from this thing is pretty good. The Coventry Cathedral stuff didn't move me on first listen but I'll return to it.

Things that are maybe interesting things to some of the folks interested in the things in this thread...

(spoiler for those who don't quite follow the above: Cyclone was actually Mr. Jolliffe's SECOND stint with Tangerine Dream. He was part of a pre-Electronic Meditation lineup with Froese and Klaus Schulze, before Conrad Schnitzler joined).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

We managed to get exactly 15 more of this fabulous and currently out of print set.

These 15 will arrive on Thursday. If you are in the USA and you want it, now is the time!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^^^ JUMP ON THIS, PEOPLE
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Folks, it's beautiful. Just listening to Phaedra outtakes now. Wonderful stuff. Dive right in - the water's absolutely fine.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ^^^ JUMP ON THIS, PEOPLE
    I just did. Didn’t want to wait till September for the repress.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just did. Didn’t want to wait till September for the repress.
    Those who buy the repress get the book without all the typos!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The version with the typos is warmer.

:-)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And the box is smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Those who buy the repress get the book without all the typos!
    Unless you have inside information, it would surprise me greatly that Universal would bother to fix the typos on a reprint.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Unless you have inside information, it would surprise me greatly that Universal would bother to fix the typos on a reprint.
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...747144/page-77

Post 1906!

That's just going to make my book with the typos more valuable.

I think the part that's making me laugh is "typos."

Accidentally putting "photos by Monique Froose" is a typo.

Neglecting to actually put her in there AT ALL isn't a typo