Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream - The Wilson remixes

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, that's an option too, thx

BTW, I saw both boxset (the pink years and the virgin years) at the mediamarkt, but at 130.00, I'll definitely pass on the Virgin-Wilson thingie

the Pink Years boxset is now mine (32.00) and they sounded excellent in the car, and I'll get rid of my Nebulous Dawn boxset, but I'll do a bit of sonic comparison on my hi-fi before I do so.
    Both boxsets are essential (IMO). The (big) Virgin box covers the best period of the band and I consider 130.00 a fairly good price (I guess many proggers here have paid much more for it), actually cheaper per disc (7.22) than the Pink Years box (8.00 per disc) which doesn't include the wonderful book (but much better looking individual mini foldout LP- style heavy carboard sleeves). Now I would like to see a later Virgin/Schmoelling era box (up to and including Hyperborea) with some extra unreleased live material. Thanks to the (unexpected ?) good sales of the current Virgin boxset I think this possibility is not too remote, though from what I've heard S.W is not really interested by this period of the band.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 07-15-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ah, I couldn't tell from the photo that it was an "earbook" inside a slipcase. Thanks.
    I didn't see that either, so I'm glad somebody said something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Both boxsets are essential (IMO). The (big) Virgin box covers the best period of the band and I consider 130.00 a fairly good price (I guess many proggers here have paid much more for it), actually cheaper per disc (7.22) than the Pink Years box (8.00 per disc) which doesn't include the wonderful book (but much better looking individual mini foldout LP- style heavy carboard sleeves). Now I would like to see a later Virgin/Schmoelling era box (up to and including Hyperborea) with some extra unreleased live material. Thanks to the (unexpected ?) good sales of the current Virgin boxset I think this possibility is not too remote, though from what I've heard S.W is not really interested by this period of the band.
    Indeed, those four Mini-lps are amazingly beautiful

Price is only secondary or else I wouldn't have bought the Esoteric Pink Years boxset, since I already owned the Nebulla Dawn boxset, which after comparison, I'm getting rid off... Seems exactly the same mix/remaster, just louder engraved on the old boxset. I won't miss the two Ultima Thulé tracks (as part of Alpha Centauri accompanying single), because I own the 45 RPM that RSD issued a few years ago. BTW, I will keep the Nebulla Dawn booklet and I just stored it in the PY boxset.

BTW, another reason why to pass on the SW remix boxset (for now anyways) is that it is still the first uncorrected) edition with typos.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't see that either, so I'm glad somebody said something.
    What's an "earbook" if I may ask??
    Last edited by Trane; 07-16-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What's an "earbook" if I may ask??
    Mine arrived today. I wouldn't call it a slipcase, as those are open on top and bottom. It's a box that is open on one side, and what Jed is calling an "earbook" slides in at the open end, much in the same manner as many DVD box sets. The "earbooks" are one gatefold and one tri-fold cardboard holder with half-moon pouches that the discs slip into and are held in place by. They don't hold them well, as four of the discs came out of the holders during shipping.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mine arrived today too. I think I WOULD call the box a slipcase. Think of a book or CD that comes in a slipcase.

“Earbook” is what InsideOut calls the large-format, hardcover books with the CDs fitting in the book. I wouldn’t quite call this an Earbook either.

I’m a little unsure as to exactly what Steve Wislon mixed or remixed.For example, on CD 9 - Rubycon and CD 12 - Ricochet did SW only remix the bonus tracks? I’m only going by the back of the slipcase now.

^ For me, a slipcase is what you often find on DVDs, or InsideOut CDs. Open at top and bottom, and through which the hard case can be passed.

^ For me, a slipcase is what you often find on DVDs, or InsideOut CDs. Open at top and bottom, and through which the hard case can be passed.
    That's an O-card.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Mine arrived today too. I think I WOULD call the box a slipcase. Think of a book or CD that comes in a slipcase.

“Earbook” is what InsideOut calls the large-format, hardcover books with the CDs fitting in the book. I wouldn’t quite call this an Earbook either.

I’m a little unsure as to exactly what Steve Wislon mixed or remixed.For example, on CD 9 - Rubycon and CD 12 - Ricochet did SW only remix the bonus tracks? I’m only going by the back of the slipcase now.
    From Wilsons facebook page! Tracks marked below * are SW mixes.

CD One: “Phaedra” – Released as Virgin V 2010 in 1974
    Phaedra
    Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
    Movements of a Visionary
    Sequent C
    [Bonus track] Phaedra - 2018 remix (17.37) *
    [Bonus track] Sequent C - 2018 remix (2.21) *

CD Two: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume one – previously unreleased
    2nd Day (20.30) *
    Flute Organ Piece (10.58) *
    Phaedra Out-Take version 2A (20.36) *

CD Three: November 1973 – Phaedra outtakes volume two – previously unreleased
    Phaedra Out-Take 1 (11.42) *
    Phaedra Out-Take 2B (5.42) *
    2nd Side piece 1 (13.05) *
    2nd Side piece 2 (9.18) *
    Organ piece (5.48) *

CD Four: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” - previously unreleased
    The Victoria Palace Concert Part One

CD Five: “Live at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London – 16th June 1974” - previously unreleased
    The Victoria Palace Concert Part Two
    The Victoria Palace Concert – Encore

CD Six: “Oedipus Tyrannus” – Recorded in July 1974 - previously unreleased
    Overture (10.58) *
    Act 1 (16.42) *
    Act 2: Battle (10.05) *
    Act 2: Baroque (8.53) *
    Act 2: Zeus (5.39) *
    Act 3 (22.08) *

CD Seven: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” - previously unreleased
    Introduction by John Peel
    The Rainbow Concert Part One
    The Rainbow Concert Part Two

CD Eight: “Live at the Rainbow, London – 27th October 1974” - previously unreleased
    The Rainbow Concert Part Three
    The Rainbow Concert Encore

CD Nine: “Rubycon” – Released as Virgin V 2025 in 1975
    Rubycon Part One
    Rubycon Part Two
    [Bonus track] Rubycon (extended introduction) (15.04) - previously unreleased *

CD Ten: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”- previously unreleased
    The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part One

CD Eleven: “The Royal Albert Hall, London 2nd April 1975”- previously unreleased
    The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Part Two
    The Royal Albert Hall Concert – Encore

CD Twelve: “Ricochet” – Released as Virgin V 2044 in 1975
    Ricochet Part One
    Ricochet Part Two
    [Bonus track] Ricochet Part One - 2018 remix (17.06) *
    [Bonus track] Ricochet Part Two - 2018 remix (21.21) *

CD Thirteen: “Stratosfear” – Released as Virgin V 2068 in 1976
    Stratosfear
    The Big Sleep in Search of Hades
    3am at the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee
    Invisible Limits
    [Bonus track] Coventry Cathedral – The original film soundtrack (34.02)
    [Bonus track] Stratosfear (single edit)
    [Bonus track] The Big Sleep in Search of Hades (single edit)

CD Fourteen: “Encore” – Released as Virgin VD 2506 in 1977
    Cherokee Lane
    Monolight
    Cold Water Canyon
    Desert Dream
    [Bonus track] Encore (3.14)
    [Bonus track] Hobo March (4.19)

CD Fifteen: “Cyclone” – Released as Virgin V 2097 in 1978
    Bent Cold Sidewalk
    Rising Runner Missed by Endless Sender
    Madrigal Meridian
    [Bonus track] Haunted Heights (6.11)
    [Bonus track] Barryl Blue (7.19)

CD Sixteen: “Force Majeure” – Released as Virgin V 2111 in 1979
    Force Majeure
    Cloudburst Flight
    Thru Metamorphic Rocks
    [Bonus track] Chimes and Chains (4.47)

Disc Seventeen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo
    Phaedra - 2018 remix [Phaedra] *
    Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares - Penteo 5.1 upmix [Phaedra] *
    Movements of a Visionary - Penteo 5.1 upmix [Phaedra] *
    Sequent C - 2018 remix [Phaedra] *
    Overture (10.58) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *
    Act 1 (16.42) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *
    Act 2: Battle (10.05) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *
    Act 2: Baroque (8.53) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *
    Act 2: Zeus (5.39) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *
    Act 3 (22.08) [Oedipus Tyrannus] *

Disc Eighteen – Blu Ray: 5.1 Surround Sound & 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo
    Ricochet Part One - 2018 remix [Ricochet] *
    Ricochet Part Two - 2018 remix [Ricochet] *
    Tangerine Dream at Coventry Cathedral [Visual content] (27.20)
    Signale aus der Schwäbischen Strasse – Tangerine Dream documentary & performance (NDR / SFB TV Germany – 23rd May 1976). (44.44)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's an O-card.
    First time I've heard that term.

First time I've heard that term.
    Well, it's probably more music industry jargon than the kind of word people use everyday. Comes from cassette terminology, when a standard cassette insert was called a J-card because when viewed from the side it is folded in the shape of a squared-off J. Then when cassette singles became popular and were packaged in cheap wraparounds, those were called O-cards by analogy with the J-card. And the term got carried over to CDs. The term slipcase comes from book publishing, and has always referred to a five-sided box that exposes only the spine of a book or set of books.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

About the book that comes with the set: that is some heavy paper stock! Kind of crazily heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, it's probably more music industry jargon than the kind of word people use everyday. Comes from cassette terminology, when a standard cassette insert was called a J-card because when viewed from the side it is folded in the shape of a squared-off J. Then when cassette singles became popular and were packaged in cheap wraparounds, those were called O-cards by analogy with the J-card. And the term got carried over to CDs. The term slipcase comes from book publishing, and has always referred to a five-sided box that exposes only the spine of a book or set of books.
    Very familiar with J-card.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Why don't you buy the seven core albums in their new standalone versions - the contents on each "album disc" are the same as the corresponding disc in the box. That way you have the improved remasters in cd cases with artwork, for portability.

And then just purchase the rest of the material as downloads? (It's all up there for legal purchase on 7Digital.)
    Wholey shit, I found the remastered stand alone Virgin-era jewel-box Cds are up for 4.00€ apiece, with almost faithfull artworks and the pictures inside the boxset book

Too bad: it looks like I will probably never own my ultimate carboard mini-lp Cds (not willing to dish 30/40.00 for jap releases) , but I'm going for all of them in this version (Phaedra & Rubycon included), since I don't really own any of them in decent format that I can live with (like the Pink Years albums that I just bought)....

For the rest, I'll check out what I need to download on 7D if I can find the proper link.

It's really a pity they didn't go all the way on the In Search Of Hades boxset (130.00 is really a good deal from what I saw), because it would be mineby nows, if they'd included the individual sleeves (and made up some for the unreleased stuff) - especially if those "earbooks" are not sturdy enough either.
    Last edited by Trane; 07-18-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's really a pity they didn't go all the way on the In Search Of Hades boxset (130.00 is really a good deal from what I saw), because it would be mineby nows, if they'd included the individual sleeves (and made up some for the unreleased stuff) - especially if those "earbooks" are not sturdy enough either.
    The package is all very sturdy. If by chance you've seen the second Steve Hackett compilation set "Broken Skies - Outspread Wings," it's similar to that.

IMHO

The box set is actually one of the most solid I've seen. I see the potential for the discs to come loose and maybe I just lucked out because I ordered from one of the best packers on the East Coast...but I think it's impressively well-built.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Been listening to the stand-alone remixes CD...; Nothing to say about the sonics, though one could wonder whether the Coventry cathedral concerts placed as a bonus on Stratosfear wouldn't have been better placed on another dizsc...

I mean Stratosfear, despite its title, is a fairly poppy album (at times, difficult not to fetch similarities with Kraftwerk in terms of beat) by TD standars, but the Coventry stuff is more akin to Richochet (the previous album)

But my post was to voice a grumble: do those discs inside the big boxset have any use of the menu space???
    I mean the CDs I just bought have nothing but track numbers (no album title or song title). while playing inside a deck.
    This seems extremely amateurish for 2019, especially if you don't have a specific slipcase next to it, cos the only place to identify quickly the disc is on its label and you have to pop it out to see it.
    In
    Last edited by Trane; 07-30-2019 at 12:17 PM.

VBeen listening to the stand-alone remixes CD...; Nothing to say about the sonics, though one could wonder whether the Civentry cathedral concerts placed as a bonus on Styratosfear wouldn't have been better placed o,n another dizsc...

I mean Stratosfear, despite its title, is a fairly poppy album (at times, difficult not to fetch similarities with Kraftwerk in terms of beat) by TD standars, but the Coventry stuff is more akin to Richochet (the previous album)

But my post was to voice a grumble: di those discs inside the big boxset have any use of the menu space???
    I mean the CDs I just bought have nothing but track numbers (no album title or song title). while playing inside a deck.
    This seems extremely amateurish for 2019, especially if you don't have a specific slipcase next to it, cos the only place to identify quickly the disc is on its label and you have to pop it out to see it.
    In

I'd imagine they added Coventry to Stratosfear purely because of disc space. The Ricochet cd has to accommodate the album twice over - once for the remaster, and then again for SW's remix. If they'd added Coventry, then SW's remix would have necessitated yet another disc. Stratosfear by comparison only has two singles edits as bonus tracks, and plenty of leftover space for Coventry. I don't think it's a question of musical compatibility - they just needed to be creative in how the material could all be fitted on.

I ripped Coventry as a separate standalone track, for mp3 listening, but am equally happy just to dial in the track number as a bonus track on Stratosfear disc.

I guess I must be living in the stone age, because my cd players don't display track information, but surely if you have disc playing you know what it is before you insert it into the player?

Or you could use process of deduction - look for a cd case lying empty, or if you're using the Hades set, it's easy enough to work out which holder is the empty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I guess I must be living in the stone age, because my cd players don't display track information, but surely if you have disc playing you know what it is before you insert it into the player?

Or you could use process of deduction - look for a cd case lying empty, or if you're using the Hades set, it's easy enough to work out which holder is the empty one.

my whole point is that listing artistes and track titles in the menu section has become a standard in the CD industry for almost two decades...

Why regress in this regard, especially if you're Universal or Esoteric (or whatever else) on a major boxset of long-amortized music, where maximum profits are made (see the horrendous price)??

Im sure it's ,not money-grubbing issues (unlike the individual disc sleeves), but dumb carelessness in this particular case.

Lots of CDs suffer from this same lack of carefulness - I agree it's a bit annoying. You'd think a CD pressing plant would know to ask for that information from the client (or whatever).

my whole point is that listing artistes and track titles in the menu section has become a standard in the CD industry for almost two decades...
    What is this menu section you speak of? Because if it’s text information displayed by your CD player, it does not come from the CD itself, but from the internet via the Gracenote service. (Unless all your other CDs are CD-TEXT, but it’s rather doubtful !)

For the Gracenote service to function properly, someone has to register this particular release with Gracenote in order to create a unique identification from the layout of the tracks, and input the track names and other relevant information in the Gracenote database. This will allow an internet connected player (hardware or software) to match the CD identification with the Gracenote database to retrieve the artist, album and tracks names.
    Last edited by Cyberian Cat; 07-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    What is this menu section you speak of? Because if it’s text information displayed by your CD player, it does not come from the CD itself, but from the internet via the Gracenote service. (Unless all your other CDs are CD-TEXT, but it’s rather doubtful !)

For the Gracenote service to function properly, someone has to register this particular release with Gracenote in order to create a unique identification from the layout of the tracks, and input the track names and other relevant information in the Gracenote database. This will allow an internet connected player (hardware or software) to match the CD identification with the Gracenote database to retrieve the artist, album and tracks names.
    I think he's talking about playing the CDs in a CD player that's not connected to the internet. Like a car CD player. Many CDs have this info coded on the disk itself, but some don't. When they don't, and the disks were made recently, it always seems like an oversight to me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I know its sacrilege but I might just download this.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I know its sacrilege but I might just download this.
    Burn the witch.

Lots of CDs suffer from this same lack of carefulness - I agree it's a bit annoying. You'd think a CD pressing plant would know to ask for that information from the client (or whatever).
    well, as a pressing plant, I wouldn't, because I have other things to do and assume that my lifelong client know what they're doing after four decades of CD editing. I'm not even sure the pressing plants even check what they engrave... the Quality assurance must be done on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    What is this menu section you speak of? Because if it’s text information displayed by your CD player, it does not come from the CD itself, but from the internet via the Gracenote service. (Unless all your other CDs are CD-TEXT, but it’s rather doubtful !).
    I know English is not my first language (it's the third), but I can't have explained it that bad.
    You're new here (EDIT: well not all that new if I look at your joining date), and I don't know how familiar you are with the CD medium.... or know your age FTM (you could be 20 for all I know, and not realize that one can listen to music on devices that are not connected to the web in one way or another).
    80's CDs offered 74 mins available and internet didn't exist.
    90's CDs offered 79'54" plus a space where you could stock information like artiste names, album name and track name >> it's what I call a menu, and I believe I'm not the only one. Still internet (now nascent, but still in its infancy stages) had nothing to do with CDs.
    Of course, reading 90's CDs on an 80's CD deck was possible music-wise, was possible, but not reading the "menu". Because if the player had no way of accessing the menu, it wouldn't be able to read it and display the info on a digital read-out that would've been incapable of doing so, anyways.

Of course, if all of this you're aware of this above and you just misunderstood me and my flawed written English, please excuse my pedanttics.

I think he's talking about playing the CDs in a CD player that's not connected to the internet. Like a car CD player. Many CDs have this info coded on the disk itself, but some don't. When they don't, and the disks were made recently, it always seems like an oversight to me.
    Thank you Mr Lawyer, your check is in the mail.