Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

New album coming in February 2019

First clip of music:

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Okay. Kinda what I expected, which is a bit disappointing. Then again that 27 seconds is already better than "The Astonishing."
    Chad

Nifty. Although I have since discovered other bands which are more exciting for me, I still enjoy these guys and will autobuy it.

Well only a short clip but sounds good, like something from ADTOE.

Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Then again that 27 seconds is already better than "The Astonishing."
    Yes. But then, 27 seconds of listening to my wife complain about the way I load the dishwasher is better than The Astonishing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Opinions are like bellybuttons, and this is my opinion as a long time Dream Theater fan.
    The last great album they did is Train of Thought. And after Mike P left, it's not even a thought in my head to buy another DT album(although the title escapes me, I bought the one with Mike Magini on it)and after several listens donated it.

I think they've recycled more of the same tuneage into most of the newer albums than the deju-vu brothers.
    Mike P and John P balanced each other out, and neither one was able to take full control over the DT sound.
    But now with Mike gone, it seems like John is running the show and has a willing partner in Jordan.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for Dream Theater and wish it was like it was, but not to be in reality.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

“When I listen back to the album, I can distinctly recall every moment of the writing process; where I was standing in the room, what inspired us in that instant and the meaning behind each song. As a producer, my goal was to try and create the best-sounding Dream Theater record we’ve ever made so that listeners can just be enveloped in the music. I really wanted this recording to truly reflect the spirit, joy and passion that went into making the album and for people to walk away feeling some of the organic nature, personality and raw energy that the band captured while together in the studio. For me, I think it accomplishes that and I hope that other people will feel the same way" - John Petrucci

“It was like going back to summer camp. Being around each other the whole time made it that much more of a profound experience. I think the songs reflect the energy. It was a lot of fun to have a situation so powerful at this point in our career.” - James Labrie

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

“When I listen back to the album, I can distinctly recall every moment of the writing process; where I was standing in the room, what inspired us in that instant and the meaning behind each song. As a producer, my goal was to try and create the best-sounding Dream Theater record we’ve ever made so that listeners can just be enveloped in the music. I really wanted this recording to truly reflect the spirit, joy and passion that went into making the album and for people to walk away feeling some of the organic nature, personality and raw energy that the band captured while together in the studio. For me, I think it accomplishes that and I hope that other people will feel the same way" - John Petrucci

“It was like going back to summer camp. Being around each other the whole time made it that much more of a profound experience. I think the songs reflect the energy. It was a lot of fun to have a situation so powerful at this point in our career.” - James Labrie
    Unfortunately for myself anyway, I didn't pick up on any of that with that short trailer. However, I feel if you do release a sneak peak, it ought to be a tiny peek into the "best" you're going to hear, and that clip was typical basic Dream Theater to me.
    I've been watching the different videos John's been putting out while they were recording this album, and the excitement was catchy, and I thought to myself, hey, maybe this is the one, this is the one that will grab me again....
    Maybe the rest of the album can do that, but I've pretty much given up on them.
    I think they lost that "punch and grit" when Mike Portnoy left, whereas Mike Magini is more a finesse player, kind of like a drumming Jordan Rudess.

But let me say, if it still makes people happy and you enjoy it, that's all that matters.
    All it means, is it doesn't for me, and I'm just one person(well maybe two when I'm talking to myself and the other guy)

This'll be the first one I don't buy on day one release - after 20 years of loyalty.

I wouldn't judge the new album on such a brief clip, and I'm sure there'll be an orchestrated leakage of more material in the run-up to February. But even then, I'm going sit on the fence for a while.

When Portnoy flounced out I thought the change of vibe might be a good thing, but the albums that have followed have just been diminishing returns for me.

I'm tiring of LaBrie's style of singing, and they shot themselves in the foot when the Astonishing publicity gushed about how LaBrie had worked hard to come up with a different vocalisation for each character in the story. My hearing isn't what it used to be, but all the vocals sounded the same - flat and uninspiring. I know LaBrie has his haters out there, but I'm not one of them and I get that he is the voice of DT, but I just feel dulled by his style.

And I'm losing interest in the Petrucci more-more-more approach to notes. These days I much prefer ambience and space to flat out technique.

I kinda get the feeling, in spite of all the publicity blurb about the guys bonding together as one in the studio, that Petrucci is still gripping the reins too tight, and any concessions towards the others in the writing and mixing process are minimal. As some wag on Blabbermouth posted - "He could have used a second pair of ears".

Maybe the album will bring back the cred that the core fans are all hoping for, and I genuinely wish this for them. But for me, I'd much rather enjoy something a bit more collegiate and crafted like Fates Warning, where they dial back the showing off and focus on drawing the listener into the overall ambience.

I predict it will contain a lot of notes.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    As some wag on Blabbermouth posted - "He could have used a second pair of ears".
    This has been the issue since long before Portnoy left, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've become more of a fan since Portnoy left, I really like the last 3 albums but loathe ones like Train of Thought, Black Clouds and not even keen on Scenes From A Memory. But that's the thing about bands that have been around a long time, they have many aspects and flavours to their music, people get into them at different times and like different things about the band. Some people will love it, some will hate it. For me I expect I'll order it once I've heard a few more clips & tracks.

Looking forward to it. It's intriguing that the tour poster has a "celebrating 20 years of SFAM" under the main title.

Honestly, it sounds exactly like what I'd expect these days from DT. The band has failed to really hook me since FII. I know a lot of folks hate that record, but for me it was the last one that really did anything for me. The only one I like w/ Jordan on it is SFAM. My fave will always be 'Awake'.

yeah they need but never will use a producer.

at least they spent more time with this one.

I probably will see the tour in St.Paul at of all places, The Ordway.

The eons are closing
    IMO - their best production was on Awake and I remember speaking with MP pre SFAM on how that experience informed his drum sound from there forward.

Its sad for me to hear them now since seeing DT at the Ritz was what made me want to form/join a band back in 89. And Kev Moore was my idol.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was never a huge DT fan, but I could get into them somewhat and do like a lot of their albums with Portnoy. But I couldn't even get through one full listen of the first post-Portnoy album. I'm not sure why - it's not like he's irreplaceable as a drummer, though I think he's good. The album just seemed like a lot of notes more than anything else. Of course, the last album with Portnoy didn't do a whole lot for me either. I really think they should have listened to Portnoy and taken a hiatus when he wanted to. I don't think he wanted to do it just for him, I think he knew things were getting a bit stale. It's kind of like the band inflicted on themselves some of the same problems so many earlier bands had inflicted on them by the record companies.

The 27 seconds alone ,Is not enough to justify the disaster.
    That was released few years back,The astonishing Dissappointment!

The Astonishing was the first of theirs I didn't buy. I thought it was too rehashed and uninteresting. I'll give this a miss too. Think I'm done.
    However, I will always try to see them live. The last tour was great. The first half of the show kinda irritated me. Then they took a break and did the whole first album and encored with Change of Seasons and I was floored. Two lighters up!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was never a huge DT fan, but I could get into them somewhat and do like a lot of their albums with Portnoy. But I couldn't even get through one full listen of the first post-Portnoy album. I'm not sure why - it's not like he's irreplaceable as a drummer, though I think he's good. The album just seemed like a lot of notes more than anything else. Of course, the last album with Portnoy didn't do a whole lot for me either. I really think they should have listened to Portnoy and taken a hiatus when he wanted to. I don't think he wanted to do it just for him, I think he knew things were getting a bit stale. It's kind of like the band inflicted on themselves some of the same problems so many earlier bands had inflicted on them by the record companies.
    Yeah man, I'm with you. I dig a few of their Portnoy albums, but to be honest everything since Change of Seasons is sort of "mix and match". Their singer's always sort of annoyed me as well - he's a little too Broadway for my tastes.

They're an amazing band musically. I wish they'd get out of their rut. You listen to a band like Glass Hammer, and you wouldn't even know their last three albums were the same band unless you saw the name on the cover. I know DT could pull that sort of thing off, if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post

They're an amazing band musically. I wish they'd get out of their rut.
    15 years is a pretty long time to be in a rut. Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Yeah man, I'm with you. I dig a few of their Portnoy albums, but to be honest everything since Change of Seasons is sort of "mix and match". Their singer's always sort of annoyed me as well - he's a little too Broadway for my tastes.

They're an amazing band musically. I wish they'd get out of their rut. You listen to a band like Glass Hammer, and you wouldn't even know their last three albums were the same band unless you saw the name on the cover. I know DT could pull that sort of thing off, if they wanted to.
    Spot on. I fear that they have they have to make metal albums to please their fans. I would love them to make a full blown prog album, I'm sure they have it in them to do something completely different and mind blowing but alas it wont happen under the Dream Theater name.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I predict it will contain a lot of notes.

...you won't be able to hear the bass, there will be an inappropriate, cheesy ragtime piano interlude, and the lyrics will suck majorly. Business as usual since 1999, then.