Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Camel - Royal Albert Hall 2018 - Blu-ray & DVD

I prefer Andy's vocals as well...

but if he feels he can not do it anymore... so be it. He's still one of my top 10 all time Guitar players
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I have never warmed to Nad for my taste. He does not do a good job with the Genesis material... Ray Wilson on the other hand would be a perfect fit for Steve at least to these ears.
    I agree with everything in your post except for this (because I like Nad's voice, but as you say we all have different tastes!). But what I'm wondering is do you think Ray Wilson would do a better job on songs like Get 'em Out By Friday, Can Utility, etc? The older, Gabriel-era Genesis songs? Maybe he's done them solo (I don't know), but it's a bit hard to imagine somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

but if he feels he can not do it anymore... so be it. He's still one of my top 10 all time Guitar players
    He hasn't said he cannot do it anymore though, has he? I hope not, but yes, so be it.

I don't really like Pete singing songs that Andy sang before. They're just so different. Colin does a great job on 'Fox Hill' though! Colin sings 'Spirit of the Water' ( originally Peter Bardens ) beautifully too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree with everything in your post except for this (because I like Nad's voice, but as you say we all have different tastes!). But what I'm wondering is do you think Ray Wilson would do a better job on songs like Get 'em Out By Friday, Can Utility, etc? The older, Gabriel-era Genesis songs? Maybe he's done them solo (I don't know), but it's a bit hard to imagine somehow.
    Well I should clarify... Nad's voice is good I just don't think it works well on the Pete era material... And this might be shallow on my part he seems to take himself way to seriously and his attire is reminiscent of Jerry Seinfeld in the puffy shirt episode LOL.. again might be shallow on my part!

As for Ray... I met Tony Smith in 1997 completely by chance in San Francisco. Truly a warm nice guy and I think he was shocked I knew who he was. Anyway he mentioned Mike and Tony had carried on with a new singer and he/they felt his voice was very Peteresque... He certainly thought if given the chance the old fans would buy into the new Genesis. I had no idea of course who Ray Wilson was. When the LP came out I really liked it and loved Ray's voice. Than I heard his take on Suppers Ready and Dancing with the Moonlit Night on the CAS promotional cd's and thought he was just brilliant. Than having seen them live at the Birmingham NEC (21 years ago tomorrow... WOW) and the Earls Court I was sold on the guy. I have all his solo stuff and like it a great deal. Having said that his voice worked great on the Pete era tunes and the CAS material of course... his take on the Phil era material was good on some tunes and just ok on others... just my two cents.

There is a Youtube clip of him singing Carpet Crawlers with Hackett. I thought it worked very well... a great audition so to speak. I don't know why but I always thought Genesis old timers might like Ray's fit with Steve better than Nad but i could be wrong on that one!

So a long winded answer to your question is yes I do think his take on Get Em Out by Friday Can Utility would be superb... better than Nad?? I guess that is just a matter of taste/opinion!

^ My turn to apologize I guess - I didn't know Ray had performed the earlier Genesis material. I guess I need to try to hear some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Has Andy said this? I feel it's about a lot of people saying they like Pete's singing. Although some here have said they prefer Andy.

^ My turn to apologize I guess - I didn't know Ray had performed the earlier Genesis material. I guess I need to try to hear some of that.
    I think Ray's voice is perfect for the PG songs in the lower register, like Carpet Crawlers (which he did with Genesis and later with Steve Hackett), The Lamb (which he sang a convincing version of with Genesis) or Lover's Leap. I think Genesis rehearsed In the Cage with him too.

I like Ray Wilson and there are some songs on Calling All Stations I like a lot. But as far as his solo material and some of the PG, Collins covers, not feeling it that much.
    He's also appeared on stage with RPWL performing Roses a couple of times(2 concert videos I believe).
    As far as Nad goes, loved him since his early days(not solo material tho), and we just listened to the Courting the Widow last weekend and there are some great songs on there. Love the 2nd album even more as he wandered further away from trying to sound like Genesis.

I have no problem with Pete singing that song, afterall some of my favorite songs are done by Colin Bass.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Some small update about the upcoming DVD on www.camelproductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Thanks Hour Candle... I can't wait to see this. Going to Royal Albert Hall was a bucket list type thing for me so when this show was announced it was an easy decision. My wife and I travelled from San Francisco to see it. Great show and set list!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Has anybody heard anything about this? Why the long delay/no new update... The last update said there was a technical delay and the release looked to be mid/end of May. I'm just thinking back... was it 15 years ago or so they had a dvd release scrapped because of technical recording issues??? Hopefully this is minor.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Has anybody heard anything about this? Why the long delay/no new update... The last update said there was a technical delay and the release looked to be mid/end of May. I'm just thinking back... was it 15 years ago or so they had a dvd release scrapped because of technical recording issues??? Hopefully this is minor.
    A twitter update June 21th : DVD/Blu-ray moving towards a release date.

Talk about slower than a turtle. Release date was set for May.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As always, and it has always been this way ever since Camel went independent, the release is released when it is released. The fact they actually announced there would be a BD is something out of the norm cause usually a Camel release just simply appears out of nowhere without any hint or info beforehand.

With his history of medical issues and long gaps between new material or tour DVDs, I think we are lucky there was even a Camel tour . And add to that the fact they made a DVD of it is icing on the cake.
    I am happy to wait for the DVD and in between time I can always watch one of the other DVDs.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Looks like this is finally being released... per the website next week!

Wow, almost $40 USD for the BluRay before they add international shipping cost. Too high for this casual Camel fan! 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Wow, almost $40 USD for the BluRay before they add international shipping cost. Too high for this casual Camel fan! ��
    Am pretty sure that The Laser's Edge will stock it in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Am pretty sure that The Laser's Edge will stock it in due time.
    Thanks for the plug. Yes - we have the blu-ray, DVD, and 2CD versions on order.

Wow, almost $40 USD for the BluRay before they add international shipping cost. Too high for this casual Camel fan! ��
    £30.00 UK as well. Thats an awful lot of money for a music blu ray. Not sure I am going to go for it. I rarely buy music blu rays anyway, they are a one-time watch for me.

I cannot see what the sound format is...is it 2 channel stereo, 5.1, DTS? Can't see those specs on the website.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Wow, almost $40 USD for the BluRay before they add international shipping cost.
    The fans are getting humped!

The fans are getting humped!
    I see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Thanks for the plug. Yes - we have the blu-ray, DVD, and 2CD versions on order.
    CP haven't mentioned 2CD version. Is this certain?

I’d go for a vinyl copy but I doubt that’s going to happen.