Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Star Trek fans here?

Any Star Trek fans here?

I've always loved Star Trek, much to the chagrin of my wife I spent the last few weeks catching up on all of The Next Generation episodes, and as I remembered there were many stinkers amongst some excellent episodes.

I used to watch the original series with my father as a little boy (memories I will forever cherish).

I have seen very few of the Voyager arc of Star Trek, but I have seen what is considered the best story from that series the awesome "Year of Hell" two parter. Lawd Seven of Nine is HOT!

The last arc with Scott Bakula every episode I watched weren't bad but not memorable.

Anyway, I have very few people I can talk to about Star Trek and every time my wife hears Cardassians she hears Kardashians. Hopefully I find some folk here will to exchange banter and anecdotes of this awesome series.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Love it, have since the '70s. Was very impressed by JJ Abrams' reboot movie.

Hated "Enterprise."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Good afternoon Brother Dan'l, Enterprise is a take it or leave it for most of the episodes I have seen. I always liked the concept of a rogue ship, yet still tied to The Prime Directive... What I do like are the episodes where the Prime Directive is challenged.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    every time my wife hears Cardassians she hears Kardashians.
    It works the opposite way for me. But then, I don't watch entertainment gossip shows, and I have seen more Cardassians on Star Trek than I have Kardashians wherever it is they hang out.

I, too watched original Star Trek from when I was a kid, on through all the different later incarnations, and all the motion pictures as well. It has been kind of a Star Trek life. Right now, with only broadcast TV available, I am limited to a single episode of the original series each weekend, which I usually miss because I don't know what time it is on and I am always doing something else. I would love it if they would run any version of Star Trek up against the TV news, because I am sick of being lied to, and I would rather explore strange, new worlds than hear about this one.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I do know that Steve Pilkington's (The Silent Man) wife Janet is a huge ST fan, and they're planning on coming over from the UK this summer to go to the ST convention in Vegas.

I was a fan of both the Shatner & Stewart versions, but lost interest after that.
    Last edited by progeezer; 02-18-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The first season of Next Gen is pretty tough for me to watch. Way too much of Saint Gene and Fontana recycling their old plots. Season two is all fits and starts. And then Moore, Braga, and a few others started writing credible scripts (despite the "tech the tech" writing) and the actors had something to work with. My wife just says "it wasn't great until Ryker grew a beard" which is about the same thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I always liked the concept of a rogue ship, yet still tied to The Prime Directive.
    Are you thinking of Voyager. That was the one where the ship was cut off from the rest of the Federation.

Enterprise is about the first Enterprise, pre-Kirk.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    I believe I fall into this category...

I have loved every series, even the much maligned Enterprise. T'pol was a hottie like 7of9. Sure there were some inconsistencies (the Star Trek encyclopedia was challenged often), the characters were quite lovable, and the proto-trek technology was pretty cool. The ending was rather unfortunate and not good at all.

Looking forward to the upcoming film. it's going to be... fascinating!

Robert

yep i watched all the star treks i could. deep space nine was also very good eventually. lol. the kirk episodes were pretty good what with the cheap special efx and all. the picard version probably has the most fans but it was very hit and miss as you say. the janeway ST was almost WTF? as it had one of the most implausible storylines going. the bakula ST was like retro and almost another why? as it attempted to fill in some back story.

I watched some of TOS when I was a kid, but became hooked during Next Generation (for me, Picard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kirk )

I watched some of Voyager, but it didn't grab me, and I never hooked up with DS9, though I understand that many consider it to be the best series. Enterprise held me about as much as Voyager.

And I follow most of the traditional opinions about the movies (even sequels better than the odd ones), though I liked the last Next Gen movie and really enjoyed JJ Abrams' take on it. I'm looking forward to the new one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I very much enjoy the original series and movies. That's about it. I don't like TNG and the other spinoffs. I liked the reboot and am looking forward to the next release.

I only like the Shatner version, which strikes me as the kind of thing a fan of prog only from the 70's would say

The original television series is some stone cold classic TV

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife just says "it wasn't great until Ryker grew a beard" which is about the same thing.
    It's all about the beard. Same thing with DS9; when Cisco grew the beard it got a lot better. If Janeway had grown a beard Voyager might have been a decent show.(She would have had an easier time growing one than Chakotay.)

I watched the original series with rapt attention.I enjoyed TNG but lost interest in the other series.How much Trek could one man absorb?,i had my fill,i was Trekt out.I've seen the movies when they came to HBO,i'll see the next one when it comes to HBO.
    Last edited by walt; 02-18-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I very much enjoy the original series and movies. That's about it. I don't like TNG and the other spinoffs. I liked the reboot and am looking forward to the next release.
    This pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Loved TOS since it was originally on, liked Enterprise. I could take or leave the Picard and the Deep Space series, and never got into the one with Captain Mrs. Columbo. The movies were all good except for one or two of the Picard ones.

One of the things my wife and I share is a love for things Trek. Our fav is DS9 ... I don't see how anyone who gives it a chance can't fall for it. Then TNG and Voyager. The original series was a favorite of my childhood, but I have a hard time watching it now, and I'm not usually that way about older media. Not sure what the problem is. Enterprise I enjoyed, but the last season was awful. I've seen and found something worth watching in all of the movies, and do very much enjoy the JJ Abrams version.

For me, Trek is like the Godfather or the Big Lebowski ... I can start watching at any point and be instantly transported.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    *raises hand*

TNG is my favorite, own the series on dvd and watched them all (even those horrendous first series ones). I've probably seen about half of the originals and would like to see more if I could. (Though I probably liked only about half of the ones I saw) DS9 was one I kind of passed on when younger, but now I wish they would replay them. I've read about the series and it sounds like it really became good at the end. Voyager is very hit or miss with me. Some episodes are great, some I struggle to watch. Though again, I've probably only see a fourth or so of the episodes. I do like the concept though. Enterprise was terrible IMO. Heard it picked up strength as it went along but I couldn't be bothered by that point. Like all the movies to various degrees (my favs being IV and First Contact).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

TNG, Voyager, and DS9 are all available in their entirety on NetFlix streaming, worth the $7.99 price of admission, if you ask me.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

If you have Amazon streaming, they're available there as well. If you have Amazon Prime, they should be free.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Well . . . .
    "We will be strong!"
    Last edited by Chuck AzEee!; 03-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    TNG, Voyager, and DS9 are all available in their entirety on NetFlix streaming, worth the $7.99 price of admission, if you ask me.
    Indeed. That's what I've been doing the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Are you thinking of Voyager. That was the one where the ship was cut off from the rest of the Federation.

Enterprise is about the first Enterprise, pre-Kirk.
    Im sorry I knew that but did not finish my sentence by mentioning Voyager.

Any Star Trek fans here?

Are you kidding? Really? That's like asking ... "Are There Any Prog Fans Here?"

Yeah I like Star Trek. In the mid 60s I was watching "Lost In Space" but I got into ST in the 70s when the show went into syndication. It's the best sci-fi ever on TV. I liked the Next Gen, Deep Space 9, Voyager, and Enterprise. Lotsa hotties on all those shows. They new that cheesecake would sell. I think my favorite Trek hotties were 7 of 9, and T'Pol. Good lawdy, lawdy !!!! Liked most of the original series films and a couple Next Gen films, but they really needed to reboot the thing.