Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Star Trek fans here?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's a whole Star Trek series that I think I didn't even quite know existed - I think it's the one referred to as Enterprise above. I think it became a little like Law & Order where there were just too many varieties. Who has time to watch that much Star Trek? I love the original series, and liked Next Generation somewhat.

I remember in college I was at a party to watch the premiere of Next Generation. It was hard to watch, as there was a girl power puking all over herself during a good part of the episode, as most of us just tried to ignore it. Ah, college...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-18-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember in college I was at a party to watch the premiere of Next Generation. It was hard to watch, as there was a girl power puking all over herself during a good part of the episode, as most of us just tried to ignore it
    I totally don't remember that episode.

I've been a big Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, but only TOS and TNG, as I could never get into the other spinoffs. Also loved the first 6 films, but the TNG films left much to be desired if you ask me.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The original series is an indelible part of my childhood, along with the films with the same cast. So I feel attachment to the franchise, but never got in too deep. I never really made the jump with TNG. I've seen some good episodes, and seen some bad ones. I pretty much stalled out on the franchise there.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Nestor, when the walls fell.

Duncan, his arms wide!

Lino, and Yanks... at NEARfest.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jerjo's gone crazy.

Awww, Come on Jack! A "well" is all we get from you? That's as bad as asking me the inspiration for my PE name!

Obviously, I'm a Trek fan. I love all of the series and films. I'm re-watching all of the Trek universe with my son at the moment. TOS will always be my favorite but I think DS9 was actually the best of them all in terms of production quality and scripts. You have to watch it from the beginning since it was so serialized. There were episodes that could be watched individually but that became harder and harder to do as the series went on. So I always recommend watching the series in order from beginning to end.

For anyone who thinks Enterprise was awful, I beg you to rewatch it. Sure, like any series it had a few clunkers but they did some quality stuff. Seasons 3 and 4 were top shelf Trek.

As to the movies, VI and II were my favorites. I have a soft spot for the universally loathed fifth film. The last film was quite good and I look forward to the 12th movie in May. Live Long and Proper!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Loved the original series back in the 60s and most of TOS films later on. I was disappointed with Next Generation although I played Picard in a fan film.

My favorite TOS episode was about a librarian who had something called "portals" which enabled anyone to visit different times and locations. I only saw it when it first aired and have never seen it in reruns.

Absolutely, Charles: I grew up on the original series and consider myself a hopeless DS9 nerd.

I think I was permanently traumatised by the episode "... and the Children Shall Lead": it scared the hell out of me as a small boy and I still find it pretty creepy.

I alsoagree with others that the Abrams re-boot was a winner. Looking forward to the sequel!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Jed, if you don't get those references you're in the wrong thread.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    GREAT GREAT GREAT Episode.

I got the joke with a half sleep mind last night.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Lino
    Huge fan!! Next Generation will always be my fave amongst the different series, though I really like Deep Space 9 too.
    The coolest thing that has happened recently is that i recommended Next Generation to my 22 year old son after noticing that it's all available on Netflix. So he has started watching the series from the very beginning, and he's loving it, just as I imagined he would. I wish I had the time to sit and watch the entire series with him, but our shedules are very different. But i'll catch up with him once a week or so and start with "sooo, which episode are you on now?" ...and the conversation will go from there.

Lino

Duncan, his arms wide!

Brilliant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Brilliant!!
    TNG references. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I think I was permanently traumatised by the episode "... and the Children Shall Lead": it scared the hell out of me as a small boy and I still find it pretty creepy.
    I can see why, with Lucy van Pelt and the lawyer from Gimme Shelter in it.

Actually, I looked it up - it had seemed SLIGHTLY familiar. But as it was from a STTNG episode, I might not actually have seen it. I really do consider the original Star Trek to be the only REAL Star Trek, just as I consider the three Star Wars films made to be the only REAL Star Wars films.

But I did think your post was funny!

I loved the animated series when I was a kid, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Absolutely, Charles: I grew up on the original series and consider myself a hopeless DS9 nerd.

I alsoagree with others that the Abrams re-boot was a winner. Looking forward to the sequel!
    I definitely chose the wrong original Star Trek episode to put on when my son was still a little too young - it was the one when the crew starts aging rapidly. Freaked him out, and we waited a few more years then.

I am actually way behind in the movies, not having seen the last two or three. I'm keen to see that most recent one though.

Jed - I recommend that you check out Abrams' first ST movie before you see this next one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There's a whole Star Trek series that I think I didn't even quite know existed - I think it's the one referred to as Enterprise above.
    I didn't know about that one either, unless I saw it and have no memory of it. I don't recall this one either:

I loved the animated series when I was a kid, too.
    And here I thought I was a Star Trek fan. I only remember the original series, the next generation, voyager, and deep space nine. And all the movies.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The eons are closing
    Awesome

Duncan, his arms wide!

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    At a garage sale I found a copy of the proposed pilot script "In Thy Image" for the TOS reboot in the late 70s minus Spock (Star Trek Phase II). Have not finished reading it; cost me 50 cents

Its mostly like the 1st movie anyway.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't recall this one either:

And here I thought I was a Star Trek fan. I only remember the original series, the next generation, voyager, and deep space nine. And all the movies.

This may refresh your memory:

I prefer TOS, and if you have Me TV, which you can get without cable, I think, it airs on Saturday nights at 8pm, depending on your time zone (I'm in Central.) The line up on the shows on Saturdays is pretty nostalgic, but in a SF mode: it starts around 5:30pm or 6pm with Batman (the old Adam West Batman), the Lost in Space (I can't hardly watch these now), and then Star Trek TOS, followed by a horror hosted movie called, Svengoolie, then Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Get Smart. Depending on my schedule, I'll at least try to catch the Star Trek.

There are some memorable episodes to Next Gen (I haven't seen them all) but Skin of Evil, and Data making a female child, and the ones with Data's evil brother Lar, plus of course, the Borg, and quite a few others. I think Next Gen got better around Season 2 or so.

I enjoy DSN ever so often, I wish some station would air these again. I remember the Forangi? episodes were fun.

Voyager I was less interested in, the female captain was a bad idea, they took away any possibility for fight scenes with that, which mean you had to use intelligence or wits or whatever to solve a problem--bad move, imo. I couldn't dig the Neelix character either, and got to soap opera.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar

The City on the Edge of Forever

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Loved the original series back in the 60s and most of TOS films later on. I was disappointed with Next Generation although I played Picard in a fan film.

My favorite TOS episode was about a librarian who had something called "portals" which enabled anyone to visit different times and locations. I only saw it when it first aired and have never seen it in reruns.
    I think you may refer to the 1st season TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever", probably the best episode of the entire original series. It featured a young Joan Collins, and the storyline had to do with space/time travel and how changing the timeline could have catastrophic consequences. A brilliant episode.

Robert