Thread: Uncut on Van Der Graaf Generator

GUY EVANS: One of the things that is amazing and confounding about Peter is that you never know what a song is going to be about next – just as you’re getting into this continuum of epics about the creation of the universe and matter and energy, you’d have a three-minute love song. I think he knows no boundaries, and he’s been super intense for years.

Intense is the word. Had the pleasure of seeing the reformed band play on a couple of occasions in recent years. Hammill stalks the stage like a caged animal and Guy Evans is a total fucking machine. Amazing.

Nice read...….loved seeing them at NEARFest back-in-the-day....a total bucket-list band for me for sure !!!
    G.A.S -aholic

Very good. Thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Guy Evans is certainly one of the MOST underrated drummers in the history of music.

I'm in total agreement about Guy Evans not getting his due.

And I think that Hugh Banton doesn't get enough praise either.
    I'll admit that he's not a fleet fingered virtuoso like Emerson or Wakeman but he's been a master of the tonality of the instruments he's played.
    He was always searching for ways to radically alter the sound of those organs and all those modifications that he did on them paid off in the end.

I've decided prog can't be as anathema as some people in the media would have us all believe. They sure as hell can't stop writing about it!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Adore VDGG. Saw Hammill solo in Philadelphia a few times- intense is the word.

Again we see the editorial need to justify VdGG by citing Lydon's apparent approval. (sigh)......

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    I think that Hugh Banton doesn't get enough praise either.
    I'll admit that he's not a fleet fingered virtuoso like Emerson or Wakeman but he's been a master of the tonality of the instruments he's played. He was always searching for ways to radically alter the sound of those organs and all those modifications that he did on them paid off in the end.
    "Darkness." No one else would have dared it.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 11-03-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes