Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets coming to North America in 2019

Wow, Chicago must be sold out now. Ihave two extra balcony tickets which I will sell for face value ($103), plus a beer!
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 11-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Good Day ~

Interesting read..... Thank You

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    MD: Pink Floyd is often cited as being influential on subsequent bands. As you were making these records, were you listening to any music that may have influenced your approach?

Nick: I think you’re influenced by almost everything you hear. I’m not at all sure how much influence we had on other people, though. We’ve done a lot of stuff, but in some ways I think we found a peculiar niche. I’m not quite sure how much of that spread out elsewhere.

MD: Perhaps it’s beyond the music itself; even to younger bands, Pink Floyd seems to represent a certain level of creativity that can be achieved within rock music.

Nick: I suppose it’s the freedom to do more or less exactly what you want without the sense that the record company or any other outside forces are going to guide you in any way.
    And to find French film makers who dig your band so that they treat you to a Riviera holiday while you make the soundtrack to their film.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Scored a floor seat today while in a training! The ticket and lunch were the absolute highlights of the day. Ha! The Masonic, San Francisco, March 15.

First row Balcony at the Paramount in Seattle!

I will certainly go to the Beacon Theater show in NY. Very excited about this!

The Minneapolis show looks promising

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Do the ticket prices seem a bit excessive?
    They seem about the same is if this was a David Gilmour solo show.
    Given Gilmore would be handling very unique signature vocals and guitar styling.
    I don't even remember paying this much for Roger Waters performing The Wall... given that was a few years back.

Is Mason's drumming so unique and signature that it warrants such premium concert tickets pricing?
    Given it's just one original member playing old Floyd tunes, would a quality PF tribute band doing their early work be
    comparable if not possibly better for a fraction of the price?

Sometimes I feel an obligatory support to an aging musician who probably could use a few bucks years after their heyday,
    but I don't think Mason would fall into that category.

That being said, I do think it's cool he's going out with a few of his friends to perform some of this early Floyd music.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Waters tickets last time were 50% more expensive for much worse seats. The appeal for me is that its a fun project thrown together to play the early material. I wouldn't be going if it was DSOTM & WYWH material.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

Is Mason's drumming so unique and signature that it warrants such premium concert tickets pricing?
    I don't think this is a factor. Nor should it be.

I would guess that Mason has little if any say over ticket prices. Regardless, it's too rich for me, given added travel costs. Definitely glad to see that it's happening, though; more power to him!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think this is a factor. Nor should it be.
    +1

Oh man, they're playing in Atlanta! That's almost a stone's throw away from me... Pink Floyd is my younger brother's favorite band, and has been since he was a kid, so I may have to buy tickets and surprise him. I think he'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Waters tickets last time were 50% more expensive for much worse seats. The appeal for me is that its a fun project thrown together to play the early material. I wouldn't be going if it was DSOTM & WYWH material.
    Agree.. after all where else are you going to see a setlist like this in 2018? Roger certainly wouldn't do this.. nor David..

Glasgow setlist:

Interstellar Overdrive
    Astronomy Domine
    Lucifer Sam
    Fearless
    Obscured by Clouds
    When You’re In
    Arnold Layne
    Vegetable Man
    If
    Atom Heart Mother
    The Nile Song
    Green Is the Colour
    Let There Be More Light
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    See Emily Play
    Bike
    One of These Days
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Point Me at the Sky

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I will certainly go to the Beacon Theater show in NY. Very excited about this!
    Glad I looked at this thread again - tickets for the Beacon show go on sale at 10am today!

Actually though, I'm on the fence about this show...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-05-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Agree.. after all where else are you going to see a setlist like this in 2018? Roger certainly wouldn't do this.. nor David..

Glasgow setlist:

Interstellar Overdrive
    Point Me at the Sky
    nor would pretty much any cover band. they know that DSOTM, etc are what puts the tushies in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Glad I looked at this thread again - tickets for the Beacon show go on sale at 10am today!

Actually though, I'm on the fence about this show...
    Why? Cost?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

At first glance for me, it was a toss between Houston and Montreal but then as I checked my calendar, ARENA will play Quebec the same final week of March as the Nick Mason Houston Jones Hall show so since I already have tickets for Arena, that pushed Nick Mason further to the Montreal mid-April date and Place Des Arts is an excellent venue. Just saw Roger Hodgson play there last week and the acoustics were superb!
    Never seen "See Emily Play" and so many early Pink Floyd songs played live, this will be a spring treat!

*Guy Pratt bassist also plays with David Gilmour on the Pompeii Live DVD/CD, he is a master player.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Why? Cost?
    Just not worth the cost and effort to see what's basically a Floyd tribute band. I think they sound good and the setlists look good, but going to the Beacon Theater is sort of a hassle for me, especially on a Thursday night. I'd rather spend some time with the Early Days boxed set.

I'll just have to accept I was only in the same place with Nick Mason on one night in 1987!

This isn't a tribute band, anymore than Steve Hackett going out and playing Genesis songs is a tribute band. Or Waters going out to do The Wall. This is Nick Mason going out under his own name, playing music from the era of the band where he was MOST creatively involved.

It is expensive, and there's no avoiding the reality that the price tag will make this hard for some folks to justify. I really do understand that.

But, it isn't a tribute band.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I agree, it's not a tribute band. But, I might prefer one. To be honest, as exciting as the setlist is, I'm not all impressed with what I've heard on the youtube clips. To me, it just sounds like a bunch of dudes playing early Floyd without taking much effort to actually sound like Pink Floyd. I'm just not feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    To me, it just sounds like a bunch of dudes playing early Floyd without taking much effort to actually sound like Pink Floyd.
    In interviews (one linked above in fact) Nick has said that was exactly their intention. He didn't want to simply ape the records. There are proper tribute bands to go see for that. Sounds like that's your cup of tea which is fine. I'll take this instead.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

What is putting other people off is exactly why I'm going, and no they are not a tribute band, and those tribute bands aren't cheap either. I know a whole bunch of people happily rush out to see The Australian Pink Floyd or the like play perfect recreations of DSOTM & WYWH but that hold zero interest for me.
    Ian

yup
    I like to hear artists stretch out and embellish their previous works
    if I want to hear a perfect reproduction of the album I dont hafta spend any money to get that (presuming I own said album)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?