Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets coming to North America in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    and yes, I saw more than a few Pink Floyd punter types who had zero idea of 70% of this material . fuck 'em
    My wife and I went to the Philly show. There were a bunch of millennials behind us, and the guy sitting right behind my wife was the "Floyd expert" and had to explain every song to the rest of his group, while it was being played. She was ready to kill "Mr. Mansplain" after the show.

I encountered my usual curse of having the tallest guy in the place sit right in front of me. Spent most of the show trying to look around his head. Right as the first song started he pulled out his cell phone and held it up, intending to film the show and completely blocking my view. I tapped him on the shoulder and explained that I didn't pay $80 to watch the show through his phone. Fortunately he was cool about it and lowered the phone.

Definitely reminded me why I don't go to big shows anymore. But no one at the Nick Mason show was nearly as annoying as a guy who was sitting behind us up in the nosebleed seats when I saw Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at Veteran's Stadium. He was convinced that he had seen his friend Henry down on the floor somewhere, and spent the ENTIRE show screaming "HEY HENRY! HEY HENRY!" The buddy I went to that show with sometimes still yells "HEY HENRY!" whenever the topic of Pink Floyd comes up.

Anyway, the Mason show was excellent, I'm glad I went despite the annoying people.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Really looking forward to tomorrow night in London, can't wait to hear all of this material live for the first time in my life.

Gary Kemp posted after the Cardiff show that Man's Micky Jones son George came to meet him before the show with Micky's classic 1961 SG. He duly played it on the Nile Song in the show, and it was "very moving to play as Micky was one of his guitar heroes as a kid". Cool to hear him say this, as you always think of that Spandau Ballet / New Romantic era as having come out of a void, and being too cool and fashionable to acknowledge the past. Nice photo too.

IMG_40FC0F4CE428-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

Gary Kemp posted after the Cardiff show that Man's Micky Jones son George came to meet him before the show with Micky's classic 1961 SG. He duly played it on the Nile Song in the show, and it was "very moving to play as Micky was one of his guitar heroes as a kid". Cool to hear him say this, as you always think of that Spandau Ballet / New Romantic era as having come out of a void, and being too cool and fashionable to acknowledge the past. Nice photo too.
    That's pretty cool to hear that. Yeah, for me, ti's not so much that I would think a group like Spandau Ballet "came out of a void" (I assume you mean as in, "Came out of nowhere"), but as I've said earlier, you wouldn't expect to find out one of the guy's in that group, most especially not the guy who actually wrote the songs, to be into Pink Floyd or Man.

But then again, I remember being stunned to find out that Andy Taylor of Duran Duran fame, apparently, was a Thin Lizzy fan? The proof? Back in 1986, just after he left Duran Duran the first time, he performed at the MTV New Year's Eve concert. Andy opens his set with Rosalie/The Cowgirl Song, if you can imagine a power trio version of the track, as it appears on Live And Dangerous, that's what Andy and his group (which included Patrick O'hearn on bass, and I believe Terry Bozzio on drums!) played. And one day I was listening to the song Rio, and I sort of zeroed in on the guitar line he was playing during the chorus, and I thought "I wonder if he's ever listened to Hackett or Fripp", because those were the guitarists that line made me think of.

So yeah, sometimes these guys, under whatever circumstances, end up going off in musical directions that might be at odds with their original influences. It's kinda cool when they can throw something like that at ya, though, with a "I bet you weren't expecting that" nod and a wink.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    I am a hoge Spandau Ballet fan - it's nice to see Gary get the respect he deserves. Gary writes all of the songs for the group and is an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to music in general....

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    I am a hoge Spandau Ballet fan - it's nice to see Gary get the respect he deserves. Gary writes all of the songs for the group and is an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to music in general....

he and Guy were just amazing and both very capable in being the focal front men for this band. I just loved the 2 shows I went to (canned script and all! )
    2trevorsforlife

My wife and I went to the Philly show. There were a bunch of millennials behind us, and the guy sitting right behind my wife was the "Floyd expert" and had to explain every song to the rest of his group, while it was being played. She was ready to kill "Mr. Mansplain" after the show.

I encountered my usual curse of having the tallest guy in the place sit right in front of me. Spent most of the show trying to look around his head. Right as the first song started he pulled out his cell phone and held it up, intending to film the show and completely blocking my view. I tapped him on the shoulder and explained that I didn't pay $80 to watch the show through his phone. Fortunately he was cool about it and lowered the phone.

Definitely reminded me why I don't go to big shows anymore. But no one at the Nick Mason show was nearly as annoying as a guy who was sitting behind us up in the nosebleed seats when I saw Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at Veteran's Stadium. He was convinced that he had seen his friend Henry down on the floor somewhere, and spent the ENTIRE show screaming "HEY HENRY! HEY HENRY!" The buddy I went to that show with sometimes still yells "HEY HENRY!" whenever the topic of Pink Floyd comes up.

Anyway, the Mason show was excellent, I'm glad I went despite the annoying people.
    Ha! That sounds like what would happen to me. I am glad to hear it was a good show, wish the three of them would get together again, but I doubt it unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwomn View Post
    Ha! That sounds like what would happen to me. I am glad to hear it was a good show, wish the three of them would get together again, but I doubt it unfortunately.
    I'd go for that! I vote for a hologram of Richard Wright!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was blown away by the show, set-list and performance. Such verve and vitality was brought to a catalogue that I never thought to see played live. Both Guy and Gary lead from the front, and I was impressed with Guy's singing too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's pretty cool to hear that. Yeah, for me, it's not so much that I would think a group like Spandau Ballet "came out of a void" (I assume you mean as in, "Came out of nowhere"), but as I've said earlier, you wouldn't expect to find out one of the guy's in that group, most especially not the guy who actually wrote the songs, to be into Pink Floyd or Man.
    You are spot on with your analysis of my observation, Spandau were typically "too cool for school", all about fashion and being a new direction. There was no conception that young Mr Kemp would have spent his teenage years, noodling along to "Rhino's, Wino's and Lunatics", all of which makes this sort of revelation the sweeter. We are clearly all the same at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    You are spot on with your analysis of my observation, Spandau were typically "too cool for school", all about fashion and being a new direction. There was no conception that young Mr Kemp would have spent his teenage years, noodling along to "Rhino's, Wino's and Lunatics", all of which makes this sort of revelation the sweeter. We are clearly all the same at heart!
    The fashion thing i find intriguing, because I remember VH-1 doing a special on the 10th anniversary of Live Aid, where of course, Spandau Ballet perform. If you've seen the footage, you'll take note of the overcoat that Tony Hadley insisted on wearing onstage. As I recall, it was an extremely hot in London that summer day in 1985. And Hadley said he almost keeled over from dehydration because the coat was making him sweat like a hog.

I just find it amusing that he was so concerned about "looking cool" or whatever-and he even admits it, "We were very into fashion"-that it nearly killed him onstage in front of...how many millions of people are said ot have watched the TV broadcast?!

As to the look being so important, I know some guys in the 80s who looked like they were going to get their big break opening for a Simple Minds tour, but they broke up, partially because they didn't feel they could afford the make up for a whole tour.

I'm not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    As to the look being so important, I know some guys in the 80s who looked like they were going to get their big break opening for a Simple Minds tour, but they broke up, partially because they didn't feel they could afford the make up for a whole tour.

I'm not joking.
    I can see that being an issue. I remember an interview with Warren Cuccurillo where he talked about how Missing Person went through multiple cases of hairspray when they were on tour.

And you remind me about how when I was 10 years old, I wanted Mike Score's hairdo (Google "A Flock Of Seagulls" if you don't recognize Score's name), or some kind of new wave hairdo. At the time, I thought that was something you went to a hair stylist for, I didn't know you could do it at home, you just had to buy the hair gel and coloured hairspray yourself. I'm glad I didn't know that, because I'd have probably spent too much allowance money on hair products, instead of actual music.

bump.

Tuesday March 10th in select Theaters

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Live At The Roundhouse (Trailer)

https://www.nickmasonfilm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

Tuesday March 10th in select Theaters

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Live At The Roundhouse (Trailer)

https://www.nickmasonfilm.com/
    It's playing at a theater out on the west side of Cleveland. I could get there, probably get home without too much hassle, also. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't go see Eric Johnson in Kent the Monday before.

The Uk tour is being billed as 'The Echoes Tour' so I guess you might expect to see them play this in the US as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    The Uk tour is being billed as 'The Echoes Tour' so I guess you might expect to see them play this in the US as well.
    Say what?
    Where did you read that?
    On the official website it is billed as "more games for may"?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Say what?
    Where did you read that?
    On the official website it is billed as "more games for may"?
    It was advertised thus in last Sunday's Newpaper. Also on line:https://myticket.co.uk/artists/nick-...ful-of-secrets

anyone heard/bought Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets's Live at The Roundhouse (with the DVD)?

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/nic...ful-of-secrets

is it worth one's while?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    anyone heard/bought Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets's Live at The Roundhouse (with the DVD)?

is it worth one's while?
    Most definitely!
    I bought the Blu-Ray (it has a killer surround) and loved it so much that I also went for the double vinyl edition.
    Great show with great renditions and great energy and recorded at the highest standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

is it worth one's while?
    I saw a screening of it just before the lockdown started back in March. Good film. I wonder if the DVD includes the Q&A thing they did at the end, wehre someone apparently asked "Is the fact that this period of Pink Floyd overlooked in general the reason why you're performing this music now?" and Nick says something like "You just answered your own question".

Watched the DVD a few days ago. Fantastic! Highly recommended. Saw them in San Francisco and it brought back how great it was and how much fun they’re having. There are individual interviews in the extras and a bit of rehearsal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Watched the DVD a few days ago. Fantastic! Highly recommended. Saw them in San Francisco and it brought back how great it was and how much fun they’re having. There are individual interviews in the extras and a bit of rehearsal.
    Yeah, that was definitely a great show.

This DVD is great.
    Have no idea of how much mileage I'll get out of it, but it's certainly the freshest Floydxploitation project I've seen in years, but I think the set list is mostly what clinches it.

Nice to see Nick finally claiming ownership of the Floyd legacy on stage, even if he wasn't the first foundation block (they proposed it to him)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes it’s an excellent set and takes me right back to the night in question. If you saw the tour or even if you just love early Floyd, you’ll not be disappointed. This band deliver the songs with verve and style and are head and shoulders the best Floyd experience out there today.

I got the vinyl copy in the mail pretty recently. I should put it on the ol' turntable this weekend.