Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kansas On The Big Interview Tonight

Kansas On The Big Interview Tonight

I don't think I have seen this mentioned here. For those of you who get AXS TV, Kansas is on Dan Rather's Big Interview tonight, followed by the documentary they released on DVD a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don't think I have seen this mentioned here. For those of you who get AXS TV, Kansas is on Dan Rather's Big Interview tonight, followed by the documentary they released on DVD a year or so ago.
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing both the Miracles Out Of Nowhere documentary and the interview with Kansas.

From the previews, it looked like 3 of them would be interviewed: Rich Williams, Phil Ehart and I wasn't sure if the third was Billy Greer or David Ragsdale. Rather interviewed three members of Styx a few months ago and it was a very interesting interview. I think this one could be more interesting. Its interesting seeing Rather interview rock stars of the 70s. He's a country music fan and seems to know very little about rock music (at least from a fan point of view, he does his research before the interviews). Others he has interviewed (that I have seen) include Robert Plant, Geddy Lee, Steve Miller, Carlos Santana, Bob Weir, Greg Allman, Phil Collins, Roger Waters, Ringo Starr and Peter Frampton.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    From the previews, it looked like 3 of them would be interviewed: Rich Williams, Phil Ehart and I wasn't sure if the third was Billy Greer or David Ragsdale.
    Yeah, outside of those four, none of the members of Kansas would have the gravitas to talk about Kansas's history. I think Greer is more likely; he, Rich and Phil have become, understandably, the fulcrum of the band even in Steve Walsh's last years with them.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The third guy is Ronnie Platt, the "new" singer.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    From the previews, it looked like 3 of them would be interviewed: Rich Williams, Phil Ehart and I wasn't sure if the third was Billy Greer or David Ragsdale. Rather interviewed three members of Styx a few months ago and it was a very interesting interview. I think this one could be more interesting. Its interesting seeing Rather interview rock stars of the 70s. He's a country music fan and seems to know very little about rock music (at least from a fan point of view, he does his research before the interviews). Others he has interviewed (that I have seen) include Robert Plant, Geddy Lee, Steve Miller, Carlos Santana, Bob Weir, Greg Allman, Phil Collins, Roger Waters, Ringo Starr and Peter Frampton.
    I really love this show. Rather definitely knows more about country music, but I think he does a good job with the rockers too. He really knows how to make an interview feel comfortable and is great at getting insights into his subjects.

As Scott Bails mentions, the 3rd guy being interviewed is Ronnie Platt.

I really love this show. Rather definitely knows more about country music, but I think he does a good job with the rockers too. He really knows how to make an interview feel comfortable and is great at getting insights into his subjects.
    I've only seen the Geddy Lee and part of the Roger Waters interviews, but I thought Rather was excellent. He got them both to talk about things they don't typically talk about in interviews. I'm looking forward to the Kansas episode.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Can't wait 'til Rather asks them a) if they partied to excess, b) what about the drugs, and c) how they handled "fame".

I thought the ones with Greg Allman, Ringo Starr and Robert Plant were among the best, really excellent interviews. On the other hand, the one he had with Santana had to be the worst (of those that I've seen). Santana had some really oddball answers.

The biggest impression I got out of Rather/KS is that for some reason Ehart was far more uptight than either Williams or Platt, and almost seemed to be annoyed w/Rather @ times. That was, however, mitigated a whole lot by his painfully honest response about the worst thing that ever happened to him (I won't spoiler it).

Anyone else?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

https://www.facebook.com/timwivy/vid...927615/?t=2804

Here's a link if you have Facebook....

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The biggest impression I got out of Rather/KS is that for some reason Ehart was far more uptight than either Williams or Platt, and almost seemed to be annoyed w/Rather @ times. That was, however, mitigated a whole lot by his painfully honest response about the worst thing that ever happened to him (I won't spoiler it).

Anyone else?
    Watch the Miracles documentary if you want to see Ehart be uptight. I guess the producers asked all involved to talk about how much of a miracle it was that Kansas (a band from Kansas) found such tremendous success. Ehart kept scoffing at the idea that it was a miracle. It was pretty humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Anyone else?
    I think that is just Ehart's personality, although I get what you are saying. Ehart has also been the band's manager for many years now, so he has all of that on his shoulders as well as just performing. I enjoyed the interview although I did not really learn anything new that I did not already know.

I will have to watch this. I loved the Miracles Out of Nowhere documentary. Rather's interview of Geddy Lee was quite entertaining. The interview with Robert Plant was OK but mostly because Plant is rather like Jagger when being interviewed: only so much is revealed and the rest is under lock and key.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

When will Miracles Out Of Nowhere end up on Netflix or Prime? I really want to see it...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    It was a decent interview. I didn't think Ronnie added a lot, but it was nice to hear Phil Ehart and Rich Williams talk about the past. Phil seemed to very deliberately mention most of the past members (and new members) by name. I thought that was classy. I liked hearing that they are heading to the studio in January to record a new studio album.

But WTF was with Dan Rather asking them what the worst thing that happened to them in their lives was?! That brought the interview to a halt and Phil Ehart to tears. It didn't segue into anything about Phil's efforts in support of autism research of anything. Very odd segment.
    Chad

Ugh. What an awkward question to ask. Did he not do any research?

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Phil seemed to very deliberately mention most of the past members (and new members) by name. I thought that was classy.
    Did me mention John Elefante? He usually gets left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ugh. What an awkward question to ask. Did he not do any research?
    Rather might have known but didn't expect it to be that probing of a question since Ehart was an advocate.

Larry King once interviewed a well known news anchor in Japan, and he asked something about what going through her divorce was like - maybe something he could ask Zsa Zsa Gabor - but in Japan where people would never openly talk about something so personal on TV 20 years ago, she was stunned and didn't know how to respond.

"But WTF was with Dan Rather asking them what the worst thing that happened to them in their lives was?! That brought the interview to a halt and Phil Ehart to tears. It didn't segue into anything about Phil's efforts in support of autism research of anything. Very odd segment. "

Yeah, that was really awkward. And in the end he says "but I don't want to suggest he ruined my life" and leaves it at that. I would have said in addition to that that I love my son regardless and don't regret a single day.

"Did me mention John Elefante? He usually gets left out. "

Yes, he comes up a little bit and the comments are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    "Did me mention John Elefante? He usually gets left out. "

Yes, he comes up a little bit and the comments are good.
    Cool. His time with the band has a few of my favorite songs. I was really hoping that when Walsh retired, Elefante would come back.

He was asked, but God told him to pass on it this time. In the end, I'm glad he did or we'd never know the greatness that is Ronnie Platt.

Phil also said Kerry was retired and Kerry quickly disputed that on his FB page the next day and said he's quite busy at the moment with no plans to stop.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Well, Kerry retired from Kansas. That's surely what he meant. Even Steve Walsh didn't end up retiring.
    Chad